Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 11:10 PM   #4151
polaron is offline polaron  France
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Claude, can you please tell us what caps and values are you using in the Korg Preamp, (KP)?
Old 14th February 2020, 11:12 PM   #4152
ClaudeG is online now ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

All is in my posts, don't worry, inclusive the cap brand I used and of course the values you can use relative to their location.

The posts are I believe quite self-explanatory (that was at least the intention) - if not and you have some extra questions, just shout (once you read the posts), you are welcome anytime. I too benefited from (great) help on this equaly great forum

Good night

Claude
Old 15th February 2020, 12:38 AM   #4153
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Well, I said tomorrow but had to it now. I found the posts, one for explanation and the other for sound. You are using very chep caps, very cheap compared to so many boutique's.

You have to excuse me, no, please correct me if I, a maniac boutique audiophile, (MBA), can't get rid of the idea of using fancy capacitors. May be I'm a victim.
That said, I can't help to ask you why didn't you use better caps?
May be you don't believe on that, or may be it's a waste of money, or whatever, but what's the reason? I hope I'm wrong and you're right. I prefer if you're right, it will be cheaper for me!

I have a classA power amp that happens to be an USSA-3 from Fab, for me it belongs to the family of Nelson diy amps, may be a close cousin. I guess that the third cap, being 3,3μf will be fine. Could it be less? The necessary calculations are totally out of my knowledge.
Old 15th February 2020, 12:49 AM   #4154
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I have two 0.22μf caps and two 1μf. All of them are Mundorf MCap EVO Silver Gold Oil Capacitors. These are very sweet, when they are in the right place. Are these good for the Korg? There are bigger values in my boxes, like Solen , Mallory, Audyn, russian pios, etc. Not PPPs... I'll check tomorrow, I mean today... later.
Old 15th February 2020, 03:20 AM   #4155
mlwebb is offline mlwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
I followed ClaudeG's advice earlier in the thread and am happy with the results.
Michael
Old 15th February 2020, 03:57 AM   #4156
happyrabbit is offline happyrabbit  United States
diyAudio Member

A little more dht luv. Latest version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4285B64B-BDEA-4401-B1DB-00DCDA2CED39.jpg (1,021.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 03:59 AM   #4157
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

That's elegant happy rabbit
Old 15th February 2020, 07:13 AM   #4158
cjfrbw is offline cjfrbw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaron View Post
I have two 0.22μf caps and two 1μf. All of them are Mundorf MCap EVO Silver Gold Oil Capacitors. These are very sweet, when they are in the right place. Are these good for the Korg? There are bigger values in my boxes, like Solen , Mallory, Audyn, russian pios, etc. Not PPPs... I'll check tomorrow, I mean today... later.
ZenMod and Papa did some calculations in earlier threads. I think the general conclusion was 1 microfarad to 10 microfarad are OK, but less than that and the low frequency rolloff starts to impede too much.

1 microfarad with 0.22μf bypass would probably work fine. I used 2.2 μf polys and they worked great. I think the main problem might be the ergonomics of fitting them to the small board if they are the oversized types.
Old 15th February 2020, 10:16 AM   #4159
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrabbit View Post
A little more dht luv. Latest version.

Hi! That's an interesting board.
Reservoir by Mundorfs and a superreg. Very simple and effective.

What is the circuit? can you give me some info?
Thanks.
Old 15th February 2020, 10:23 AM   #4160
diyAudio Member

B1 with Korg Triode
Hello cjfrbw,
So I have averything that's necessary, no need to buy caps, unless it's very important that I use PPPs. Is it? Thanks.

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!