B1 with Korg Triode

Thanks Ben,

I will test per your instructions this evening. I have some photos here. Excuse the wire length, I wanted to keep them longer during build to accomodate removing the board easily. I'll refit when all is working as it should.
IMG_2059.jpg

Brijac... it is soldered, you just can't see it from the top. That was one of the hardest bits to solder... so tiny!

I reversed the backwards JFETS, all are correctly oriented now. I took the following measurements:

T1 = 23.8
T2 = 22.9
T3 = 22.0
T4 = 8.9
T5 = 9.0
T6 = 8.9
T7 = 19.5
T8 = 19.5

The adjustment pots have no affect on the voltage for T7 and T8.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I suspect bad solder joints. Looking at the top side of the board there are many solder pads that show no solder between the component lead and the solder pad. That is a sign of either not enough solder or not enough heat applied to the solder at the pad on the bottom the board.

The T5 and T6 voltages indicate that there is no current flowing through the Korg filament.

Have a real close look at the Korg. The filament should be visible as a continuous thin straight wire longitudinally across the tube.

Well, what a surprise for me. I knew about the carrier board but I distinctly remember a socket as well. In fact, there were a number of accessories which are no longer available. I stand corrected, however, if my memory was faulty.

I guess this raises the Q: could individual socket pins be added to the board to permit easy replacement? Offset from board would allow damping sheet to be added between NuTube and PCB.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Try it and see! Visit the website of Keystone Electronics and study their e-catalog of socket pins. Find candidates that you suspect might work, buy some (Mouser + DigiKey + Newark are authorized distributors), and try them on a B1K PCB in real life. If it works then you have your answer: YES, individual socket pins COULD be added to the board to permit easy replacement.

If none of them work then go through the catalogs of other socket pin manufacturers, who compete against Keystone.

Reactions: 1 users
You can use pin socket for this, but legs on nutube are so soft, you risk breaking them. There are solutions to decouple, one above pete's with teflon pcb. And i made decouple board to use with wires (which to me should decrease vibration trough conductor even more with properly thin wires). And then use soft sponge (i found makeup sponge to be amazing in light object vibration dampening) with double sided silicone tape. Eva foam combination with it as also good.

Attachments

• 20230913_203404.jpg
    20230913_203404.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230822_102329.jpg
    20230822_102329.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 88
Try it and see! Visit the website of Keystone Electronics and study their e-catalog of socket pins. Find candidates that you suspect might work, buy some (Mouser + DigiKey + Newark are authorized distributors), and try them on a B1K PCB in real life. If it works then you have your answer: YES, individual socket pins COULD be added to the board to permit easy replacement.

If none of them work then go through the catalogs of other socket pin manufacturers, who compete against Keystone.
I am planning to take that approach for biasing resistors and coupling capacitors to permit easy changeout. Planning to use Silclear to ensure good connectivity.