Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

Everything under 12" in diameter is for Sissies!!
:clown:

I just remembered that these Oris horns with 15" woofers will be beautiful with any Pass amp especially SIT. Only woofers are actively driven by the high-level crossover from the speaker line. 2 watt was enough to make a dancing club.

My problem is that I do not have them and space anymore.:(

Attachments

• 사진_051108_006.jpg
    사진_051108_006.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 973
  • 사진_051113_003.jpg
    사진_051113_003.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 934
  • 사진_051113_006.jpg
    사진_051113_006.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 922
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are talking about the Cube Magus 8" in Slot loaded open baffles,
as described in the SLOB article posted at FIRST WATT

If you have a B5 crossover, set it to 80 Hz / 12 dB low pass, 160 Hz
12 dB high pass, and a shelf at –2dB above 2.5 KHz.

You can also build this with the analog (Linkwitz style) crossover
available in the store.

Attached is a circuit schematic with the values, and a graphic showing
the response curves and their +/- phase sums. Also you can see the
response to 20K and a bass response view.

You will have to double check the polarity, as I didn't make note of it -
One way it has a big dip around 100 Hz, the other way not.

:cheers:

Attachments

• 301 CUBE OB.jpg
    301 CUBE OB.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 633
  • 302 CUBE OB RESP.jpg
    302 CUBE OB RESP.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 608
  • CUBE02.gif
    CUBE02.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 196
  • CUBE08.gif
    CUBE08.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: 1 user
I think any mid or high efficient speaker of high quality can be used with the pass amps or the First Watt amps.

I heared Pass Labs Xs 300's (their topmodel) drive Tannoy Westminster's and that sounded wonderfull. Idem with First Watt F1's driving Altec Lansing 604E's in a 620 cabinet. My ex had B&W 800D's driven with Pass Labs X250.5's wich were also a great setup. And i recently heared an Alpeh J driving a Lowter OB (with an Alpha 12A woofer with a seperate (Ncore) amp wich was also good.

In general all Pass amps are easy to couple with speakers as they are build to be flexible. So get the speakers you think sounds the best, and try it. The chance is very big that you will love this setup if you like Pass amps.

I'm more a tube amp guy, but if it ain't a tube amps, give me a First Watt or Pass Labs amp, and i'm almost as happy as with tubes...

We are talking about the Cube Magus 8" in Slot loaded open baffles,
as described in the SLOB article posted at FIRST WATT

If you have a B5 crossover, set it to 80 Hz / 12 dB low pass, 160 Hz
12 dB high pass, and a shelf at –2dB above 2.5 KHz.

You can also build this with the analog (Linkwitz style) crossover
available in the store.

Attached is a circuit schematic with the values, and a graphic showing
the response curves and their +/- phase sums. Also you can see the
response to 20K and a bass response view.

You will have to double check the polarity, as I didn't make note of it -
One way it has a big dip around 100 Hz, the other way not.

:cheers:

thank you very much for detail information about cube and xover.
I think you had a lot of full range drivers. Which one is the best in overall performance apart from the their price?

At $200 each, the 6.5 inch SEAS H1794-08 FEA18RCZ are hard to beat. I heard them in toobhead's beautiful compact floorstanders powered either by the F7 or DEF amp. They had the line level EQ that smoothed out the peaks and if I remember correctly, improved the low bass response. I have to say that they are one of the most impressive FR speakers I've heard.

I also heard the Cubes which were beautiful, but 4 time the price. The SEAS performance was so close they get my vote!

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...1425-range-speaker-photo-gallery-img_3224-jpg

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Zu Auido has their Dirty Weekends on sale again for $999 a pair. They are temping because some of their reviews are very positive and I have seen in various places that they recommend First Watt J2’s as a recommended match. I also would like something a bit more sensitive than my Alpair 10p’s but I love my current speakers.

Omen Dirty Weekend [Mk.II] | Zu Audio

The Zu speakers are rated at 12 ohms. Are some First Watt clones better suited for such loads? I think some like the Aleph don’t do as well with 4ohms but I’m not sure how well FW amps match with 12 ohm loads.

Zu Auido has their Dirty Weekends on sale again for $999 a pair. They are temping because some of their reviews are very positive and I have seen in various places that they recommend First Watt J2’s as a recommended match. I also would like something a bit more sensitive than my Alpair 10p’s but I love my current speakers.

Omen Dirty Weekend [Mk.II] | Zu Audio

The Zu speakers are rated at 12 ohms. Are some First Watt clones better suited for such loads? I think some like the Aleph don’t do as well with 4ohms but I’m not sure how well FW amps match with 12 ohm loads.

I had a pair of Zu Audio DW speakers (12 ohm) paired with my Amp Camp monoblocks. I thought they sounded great and they were even better when I added the 25ohm resistors across the speaker terminals. The difference was the bass firmed up and became better defined.

I liked my DW Zu speakers so much I sold them and bought a pair of Zu Druid IV (16ohm). The Druids were noticeably better than the DW and the Druids also benefited from the 25ohm resistors. (I don’t see a lot of Zu owners using the snubbing resistors with these high impedance speakers. It made a large difference in sound quality for me.)

I’m going to build and F6 next and then and F2. I’m interested to see how the FW amps sound compared to the ACA.

Last edited:
I am listening to a pair of 2-way Avalon Pro Studio Monitors in my bedroom. I bought the speakers a few years ago from a dealer that had been trying to sell his demo pair for a few years. The price dropped a little bit every few months until I could no longer resist the temptation.

The speakers did not work well with an original Aleph 3. It is ok with a diy Aleph J and F5 but absolutely stunning with a diy J2.
I am using a Logitech Transporter source, connected balanced to a diy J2 (no preamp).

The only downside is that lesser recordings sound awful. But good recordings sound fantastic. "One quiet night" by Pat Metheny (solo acoustic guitar) gives me goosebumps.

Attachments

• img60718_real.jpg
    img60718_real.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 584
  • S_STUDIOPRO__16344__01152009113729-7369.jpg
    S_STUDIOPRO__16344__01152009113729-7369.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 575