Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

gear matching with FW amps is really an interesting and important topic.

Of course the power requirements and impedance characteristics of the speakers can quickly narrow the amp choices down. However, the topic of speaker-to-amp matching distortion patterns and tonal balance is an intriguing one.

Papa has perfected the art of designing for a certain distortion pattern. some consensus seems to exist about 2nd order making for warmer overtones and 3rd order making for a detailed and speedy music presentation. By now many shades of grey have been produced between Aleph-like mid range and F5-like bottom and top. Some iterations have been recognized as good all rounders e.g. J2, M2, AlephJ (if bottom not too critical) etc.

In my experience the multi way speakers can handle a lot more music content than FRs. And the easiest way to a nirvana is multi-amping where the amp characteristics can be biased to suit a certain range. I have a really good sounding home brewed OB driven by F5+ACA+ACA combo:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/266524-active-multi-5.html#post4158184

My OB still lacks somewhat in terms of dispersion pattern when compared to Linkwitz speakers (I use them as the golden standard), but I get to hear the detail and nuance which FW amps bring along :D.

p.s. btw range-wise the 2-way 15incher plus SS10F on top can do it all alone (simulated, measured and tested) but inserting a B200 as a filler makes for a MUCH better system.

I am still to try changes to this system like an ACA2 with more 2nd order distortion (if I got that right). I am not sure yet at which point one starts trading off vocal reproduction with the reproduction of those instruments which may prefer a different, more accurate distortion pattern (and in that regard it is unbeliveable how Papa's napkin project ACA sounds good for both).

I cannot bring myself to get rid of Aleph30 boards which I used for ~ a year only with 85L Elsinores boxes and may yet consider pairing them down for a lower power use in the multi-amped system again. (btw Elsinores currently run by BA3-b mono blocks but that system will be soon changed all over again).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201281-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced-57.html#post4794952

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I use with my FW F6 and M2 ( and some tube SE and PP monoblocks ) Altec A5s with 1505b horns and Werner Jagusch autoformer crossovers. Drivers are either Altec 515-8g or GPA 515C, Altec 299-8G and alnico JBL 075s. I also have Altec 604-8Gs as reserve but need a crossover for them as I had the Werner Jagusch xover I used for them modified to suit my A5s. And yes - great sound with FW :)

Last edited:
Assembled 2 ACA's last fall. Plugged 'em in, set the bias and they have performed flawlessly since then.
My initial foray in to Class A, SS amplification. Wow.

Omega Super 3XRS and Tekton Lore Reference each in their own way sound almost too good powered by the ACA's in parallel mono. My space is smallish, but my 0 gain, tube buffered pre at at 2:00 brings it alive with the most delightful sounds.....

Kudos and thanks to Papa Pass and the diyAudio community.

I use with my FW F6 and M2 ( and some tube SE and PP monoblocks ) Altec A5s with 1505b horns and Werner Jagusch autoformer crossovers. Drivers are either Altec 515-8g or GPA 515C, Altec 299-8G and alnico JBL 075s. I also have Altec 604-8Gs as reserve but need a crossover for them as I had the Werner Jagusch xover I used for them modified to suit my A5s. And yes - great sound with FW :)

It is great to know that you are using that autoformer crossover. I am also a happy user of that crossover for Altec Valencia 846A speaker plus Fostex super tweeter. Not a favorite one by Zen Mode :p

From the experience of F1 F2 F7 SIT-3 and other Pass DIY and SIT amps, Altec vintage 2 way is an easy choice to enjoy Pass amps I think.
I also had a pleasant experience with Tannoy Stirling with the first Zen amp long ago. Generally, Pass DIY amp or Firstwatt amps are relatively transparent and seems to reveal more the hidden character of these speakers..

Attachments

• 2019-04-10 14.40.42.jpg
    2019-04-10 14.40.42.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 670
  • 2019-04-10 14.41.06.jpg
    2019-04-10 14.41.06.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 687
Agreed!

Have you tried biamping?

No I have not. But I tried with Tannoy 3808 long ago simlar way to what you did. At that time I found DIY tube 2 way active crossover was better than OP amp based one.

Recenlty I built common drain 2SK182 SIT amp with power resistor and I like it a lot for the improved damping. I have also similar amp using 2SK60. Maybe these two can be used for multi amping.. But I do not have any active crossover. :(

Assembled 2 ACA's last fall. Plugged 'em in, set the bias and they have performed flawlessly since then.
My initial foray in to Class A, SS amplification. Wow.

Omega Super 3XRS and Tekton Lore Reference each in their own way sound almost too good powered by the ACA's in parallel mono. My space is smallish, but my 0 gain, tube buffered pre at at 2:00 brings it alive with the most delightful sounds.....

Kudos and thanks to Papa Pass and the diyAudio community.

Gotta agree with you on Omega and First Watt pairing. Got a pair of RS8 monitors and they sound good with an Aleph J or M2

I use a bi-amped set-up with a FW B5. So far I've only tried the ACA, which has been great with the SAL 08C and Quad ESL 57s. I was surprised at how well the ACA handled the Quads - great definition in the higher bass frequencies. They're not that far from the sound of my EL84 tube amps, but with better damping and more incisive... maybe a little less sweet sounding. Can't wait to get my M2 built.