Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

The 15" is better.

Study every musical instrument (ie the ones you actually enjoy listening to) as well as the human ear and you will start to understand why an observation seems to defy logic.

Now that I have some new toys to play with I might go back and compare them all again.

Hmm .. have Tannoy Golds ~14lbs of Alnico and 2" compression Hf.
These crossover at ~1200hz. LF naturally rolls off bt 2khz regardless.
Only whizzer cone drivers of note are Lowthers and they have trouble with hf as well. despite their serious provenance
Only implication of the above then being that yer only concerned with HF up to ~7hz ?

Last edited:
my F5 turbo is driving Troel's OBL15 (3-way open baffle) in bi-amped configuration. Linear powered Hypex 400W monos are handling 15" bass drivers with passive crossover components.. no pre. and attenuator between source and amps for gain matching. Initially I had encountered some problems (gain ok but speed) way normal because of different amps in bi-amp but I was able to perfectly balanced them. Sounds very very good.. open, special, realistic, extremely fast and articulated bass in huge and deep sound stage.

Hot Damn!

My countless hours of researching different speaker options has finally paid off! A week ago, after perusing CList, I bit the bullet and sprang for a pair of Altec 604-8G in home made cabinets that appear to be 620/Model 17 cabs.

When I first hooked them up using the stock Altec attenuator I was a little concerned I'd made a hasty decision. They were almost impossible to adequately blend the horn and woofer. Even so, they offered a level of imaging and detail I'd never before heard from my J2.

So after listening for a week, today I decided to try bi-amping using my Ashly XR 1001. I'm using my J2 on the compression drivers and an old HCA 1500A for the woofer. The results are astounding!

Next, I plan to build the Markwart crossover to see if I can resort to using just my J2 for both sections. If that doesn't match what I'm hearing now I'll end up trying to build a custom crossover to bi-amping using my VFET on the LF and J2 on the HF. It's going to be fun! :D

The Altec 604-8G are definitely drivers worthy of Pass amps!

Attachments

• IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 852
Hi Pico, any progress?
I´m also interested if you coud give a comment about the 10" in the 2,8 and 5.6 enclosure. My last FR experience i had a enclosure that was too big. I had of course deeper bass, but the lively midbass really suffered.

take your time, but i´m highly interested :)
(about the your experience with the 15", doesn´t it beam the highs like a laser?)

I have the ferrite 15" super which has a phase plug and whizzer. It achieves a superb sound without beaming. I do avoid on-axis, it's not quite right directly on-axis but just a few degrees off is fine. It's the best full range driver I've heard, bt I've not heard those top-price unts Nelson likes. Unfrtunately I don't think David makes the whizzered 15" driver anymore :-(

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These drivers have been demonstrated at BAF by Nelson in the Pass Pub room the last two years:
SAL Full Range Drivers

He just uses them in sealed .75 cabinets for now and lots of people (including me) have heard and praised them. They have more bass than most full-rangers and sound very good.

Nelson is designing an open baffle for them with a 15" woofer also...

No one was distributing them in the US so we signed up and threw them in the diyAudio Store:

Scandinavian Audio Labs SAL 08C08 (Pair) – diyAudio Store

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents and say a folded Voigt pipes (VP) is a good speaker for most FW amps. My VPs were based on a design from David B. Weems book using a Radio Shack full range (FR) driver. I used a Dayton Audio FR drivers. Although the bass was a bit weak (due to the driver), it was pin-point, airy with a nice midrange. Used them with a Dayton sub.

They were recently changed to use a Peerless/Tymphany/Vifa 6.5" midbass and a HiVi SD 1.1 tweeter. Amazing tweeter btw. Bass now improved.

Reason for recommendation is-

A.) Ran several different FW designs through the VPs to get a good idea of the sound the amps were producing.
B.) Everyone thought it was a very coherent, point-source sound.
C.) very easy to build and get good results.
D.) Not very expensive to build.
E.) I liked them.

Speakers - My Photo Gallery

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Currently they are set up as follows:

Latest SAL driver in SLOBs with Definimax 15". Drivers wired in phase.

Low pass: 80 Hz 2 pole, EQ +5 dB at 30 Hz

Hi pass: 160 Hz 2 pole, EQ shelved -4 dB at 2.5 KHz

Attached are composite response curve and acoustic crossover detail.

Attachments

• SAL RESP.gif
    SAL RESP.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 565
  • SAL ACOUSTIC XVR.gif
    SAL ACOUSTIC XVR.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 552