F4 Beast Builders

Joined 2009
Paid Member
besides what you suggest..... to do.... :))

why do the opto solutions prefer k3?

and look at M2, here the gate to gate over the opto exists too....

of course no gain in this stage, is that your concern?

J2 uses the opto too and there is gain in the stage ......but only one gate connected to the opto.

hm, hm.....

Attachments

• M2 Opto 2.jpg
    M2 Opto 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
the OLG of 34-36dB includes the loads (1k or less or more or whatever) ?

I measure the open-loop gain by disconnecting the feedback resistor from Output to the feedback network, and disconnecting any cascode-feedback resistors. I measure the global feedback by connecting the cascode-feedback resistors and measuring the gain (without the global feedback resistor). the global feedback is that gain divided by the closed-loop gain.

still your circuit where Toshibas

Generg, you triggered this thought when you mention the toshibas. I ended up saving to many variations of this circuit. I lost track. Lynn's not going to like this, sorry Lynn but the circuit that I made that had good distortion was with the IRF9610 IRF610. Its the same circuit otherwise with the cascode feedback that you posted.

Generg, you triggered this thought when you mention the toshibas. I ended up saving to many variations of this circuit. I lost track. Lynn's not going to like this, sorry Lynn but the circuit that I made that had good distortion was with the IRF9610 IRF610. Its the same circuit otherwise with the cascode feedback that you posted.

Interesting. A major difference with the IRF9610/IRF610 is that Vgs 250mA with be over 4V, about twice that of the Toshibas. That means that the JFET drain resistances will be about about double for the same feedback network, resulting in about twice the open-loop gain.

While trying to understand why I cannot reduce H2 to expected levels, I discovered that the problem is in my front-end circuit. I found a 160MHz oscillation at the emitter of one of the cascodes, which was fixed by adding a 1K resistor between the bias generator and the base of the cascode, like in the Sony-VFET-pt2. But there is another problem I haven't solved where the H2 level and all higher harmonics rapidly shoot up between slightly below 4V peak and 4V peak. This indicates some kind of clipping to me, and is perhaps an oscillation at higher than my 150MHz scope can see.

Since we are no longer using degeneration (another form of feedback) in our front end circuit, the local feedback network will most likely need to compensate for that.
This is a big part of the key to low distortion in this amp, in my opinion.

Might be worth throwing a cap in parallel with your feedback resistor just to start eliminating potential problems.

The output stage is the least of your problems, source follower stages are already inherently low distortion.

You might end up going in a completely different direction again, but it's all part of the fun.

I've got to drill and tap over 100 holes. Why should I be the only one that suffers.
Hahaha

Last edited:
Because I have a secret plan.
Muah hahaha

2 cases, 4 heatsinks, 28 holes per heatsink

If I include the other holes already tapped for case assembly it's 28 + 12 per heat sink.
160 bloody holes drilled and tapped.

The beast of a 1000 bloody holes. Hahaha

Last edited: