Aleph-X builder's thread.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Since your bias is correct, offset both absolute and relative is within range, I would suspect that the fault lies within the drive portion of the circuit. Look for unmatched feedback or ac gain.
Distortion is apparrent in all three of your traces above but becomes obvious at the higher power levels.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
LTP = Long Tailed Pair. What ZEN is pointing at is that the current should be measured on the FETS in the LTP. If the current is too low, the capacitance presented by the output devices would attenuate the high frequecy. The attenuation would get worse as the frequecy increases.
Could you point me to the correct schematic for the "Green" boards. It has been several years since I built my x100's. (Like in 2004).

IIRC Mine is built with IRP244's

LTP = Long Tailed Pair. What ZEN is pointing at is that the current should be measured on the FETS in the LTP.

I'm no novice but how do I measure this?

Could you point me to the correct schematic for the "Green" boards. It has been several years since I built my x100's. (Like in 2004).

I use the boards used here

Aleph-X 100w Amplifier Construction Notes

Schematic
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/axschem.jpg

Board
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/pcb-ext.jpg

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the link to the schematic. My start of this build was way back on post #16.
You need to know (measure) the equivalent resistance of R24 with R26 and V2. Then measure the voltage drop across them and for grins measure across D1. The current is calculated using OHM's law. D1 sets up the voltage reference for the CCS FET Q6 and should be different by a couple of volts. The difference in volts should be within range of the Vgs spec sheet for the IRF9610. While you are in the area, measure the voltage across R17 which should allow you to calculate the current through the zener D1.

You can also measure the current of Q5 and Q7 by measuring the voltage across R23 and R25. The latter gets a little complicated with the current sunk by Q9 and Q4.

Thanks for the link to the schematic. My start of this build was way back on post #16.
You need to know (measure) the equivalent resistance of R24 with R26 and V2. Then measure the voltage drop across them and for grins measure across D1. The current is calculated using OHM's law. D1 sets up the voltage reference for the CCS FET Q6 and should be different by a couple of volts. The difference in volts should be within range of the Vgs spec sheet for the IRF9610. While you are in the area, measure the voltage across R17 which should allow you to calculate the current through the zener D1.

You can also measure the current of Q5 and Q7 by measuring the voltage across R23 and R25. The latter gets a little complicated with the current sunk by Q9 and Q4.

OK, measured with the amp driven by a 1kHz signal? What input? Normal? High?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One thing to point out is to check the components value vs. actual. Although most of the errors have been me in the past grabbing the wrong part. I do have on my quality shame board two resistors marked as 330R that were actually 10k.

I will keep checking back, but will be gone for the next few days so I have not abandoned your effort. I am sure others like Zen Mod who are much better at this than me will chime in.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, couldn't resist

R23/R25
4.76V and 4.78V means app. 0.012A

if you're sure that you have there 390R and up - that's OK

R17=10k

that gives 600uA through zener ; waaay too low

make that 1K5 ..... or even better make current through zenner in range of 5mA

counting Iz=(Upos - Uz)/R17

if PSU is +/-15V , then R17= (15-9)/5mA = 1K2

it's possible that PSU is sagging on high level of power and zenner is shutting down , with so big value of R17

Looks like I'm a few days late to the party here, though you've received some great advice already!

A few things that stand out to me as potential things to check:

1) Obvious question, but I have to ask: are the fets well matched?

2) Another obvious thing (already asked by Zen Mod) is the measured value of resistors in the circuit vs. values indicated in the schematic. I learned long ago to measure, measure, measure each and every part. This stemmed from ordering 220ohm resistors and receive 220kohm resistors for a past project.

3) How do things behave if you re-set AC Current Gain back to "normal" (50%) ?

4) Bias current sounds very low for using 12 mosfets per mono. Your bias and rail voltage appear a bit low for that many fets. What is the actual power dissipation for EACH fet? Measure voltage drop across each source resistor, divide this by the value of the source resistor, and multiply by rail voltage. Ideally, each fet should be running in the 20-30w range. If your dissipation is much lower than this, perhaps you want to parallel fewer fets for the output stage?