F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Just realizing now that the F6 PCBs that I got from the store aren’t mirrored. This is wrong, correct?

Could I mount one PCB with the MOSFETs pointed upwards?

Attachments

• 8CFD533E-95F7-418A-B14B-2A7ED949280F.jpg
    8CFD533E-95F7-418A-B14B-2A7ED949280F.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
ChrisM91
Boards are a mirrored pair. You could ask the DIY store to correct their mistake. The DIY store did the same thing to me 4 years ago but I caught it before I stuffed and soldered the mismatched boards. They did send me a second pair of correctly mirrored boards at no charge which was my first F6 amp build. I liked the F6 so much I built the original mismatched pair into a second chassis with the one rotated front to back - one channel has the transformer at the front, the other at the rear. However, I see no reason the boards could not be done the way you suggest with the output devices below on one channel and above on the other.

F6 Smoke

I double checked the wiring, checked the voltage on my power supply and everything looked good so I decided to fire up 1 channel on my F6 and smoke came out around Z2 and the LED. I put it aside and I'm getting up enough courage to revisit it - I don't want to try the other channel before I figure out the problem.

I'm rechecking the wiring

I guess the next step is to use my multimeter to see if any of the components are burned up. Any suggestions about where to look first and how to determine if components have been damaged - I would assume smoke means that something is gone - I am unclear on what precisely was smoking since it happened so fast - I am thinking maybe I got something backwards

I thought of just rebuilding the whole thing but that seems like overkill

Any thoughts on debugging this

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi ZM,
please bare with me as I have just started looking at the F6 and this has been probably asked answered a million times but what would happen if one was to reverse the transformer polarity back to normal and feed the amp with a balanced signal?

clarify what you think with that

btw. whatever you do with primary, leave secondaries as they are

make wrong polarity of secondaries, and you get Big BadaBoom ........ Dodo fuse, in best case

Hi guy's ,

I got my QA401 weeks ago and play a lot with it , this is an very cool and useful device

I made some measurements on my F6 liquid cooled , here they are :

Numbers seems to be in the ballpark , but I dont have much idea if better could be done , sound is almost perfect , this amp sing like a boss ;)

Last edited:
Got my F6 up and running. Letting it burn in now while trying to tweak the bias and offset.

1. How important is it that both channels are biased to the same point? I am aiming to get both channels to 0.500V.
2. How much offset should I be aiming for, 0.00V?

Little tricky to get right, the two controls are very much intertwined! Change one and it affects the other!