F6 Illustrated Build Guide

It's in the manual Monk55 linked. But it's important to know why (for newbies; you seasoned veterans know all this stuff and more!):

P = V (squared) / R; where P is power, V is volts RMS, and R is ohms.

25 watts = V(squared) / 8 ohms; solve for V = sqrt (25*8) = 14.14 volts RMS.

You know the gain of the F6 is 14dB.

gain in dB = 20 log (V/V).

So you now solve for the input volts RMS which if increased by a factor of 14dB equals 14.14 V RMS.

14 = 20 log (14.14/V); solve for V and you'll find it is 2.83V RMS.

So 2.83V RMS on the input will clip the amplifier, that is give an output of 14.14V RMS which you know is 25 watts/8 ohms.

The other way to solve it is to recall that 14dB of gain is equal to 5 times of amplification. So you can just take 14.14 V RMS / 5 = 2.83V RMS.

And consequently you can use the same thought process and solve for 1W RMS output which is 2.83V RMS. You'll find that the input sensitivity is then 0.57V RMS approximately.

Best,
Anand.

IRFP250 at Q1 (has to be IRFP250 not IRFP150)
IXTH64N10L2 at Q2
This will get you the sound.

LED Mod + R7/R4 around 3k - Lower noise, better regulation, and adds thermal compensation to the bias circuitry, compared with the stock zener.
Reduce R1 and R2 to 0.22 Ohms (lower if you want) - Not critically important if you have very good resistors, but it does provide some improvement.
Increasing R4 to between 20 Ohms to 23 Ohms - Improves everything a little

Is it ok to use the Vishay IRFP250 hexfet?

IRFP250PBF Vishay Semiconductors | Mouser Australia

I'm ordering from Mouser and they only have this or the Infineon version. Otherwise I'll order from elsewhere

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, my power supply passed the dim bulb test. I didn't. The LED at R21 didn't light up. Must have inserted it wrong. R21 is good and I get 25.4 V to ground unloaded on both sides of the supply. Might be a bit high. Mains are 123V and change. I'm using a 2x18V Antek.

The boards are assembled on the heatsinks. Should wrap it up by next week. Using the special order 4Ux500mm chassis. A bit cavernous for the F6, but my next build is the BA3 in the second chassis. HeyBill

I posted earlier that when I fired up my F6 - One channel Only smoke came out and I thought it was toast - - I poked around and things seemed OK - so I tried again without replacing anything - my light bulb dimmed and came up but no smoke and the LED didn't light up - I thought I needed to switch the led around so I did- fired it up again and it lit up - I checked the bias and it slowly rose to about 0.420 before any adjustment -- I think I might be up --

What next? -- Do I connect a speaker? - an old one I suppose - Are there other tests or measurements I should do to make sure I'm ok

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nope; stop whatever you're doing and post pictures

well lit, detailed, so we can deduce how you made it

I can't connect your "14 Volt" figure with anything, except DC Offset on output ...... and you're mentioning "power supply of 14V"

this amplifier is having power supply consisting of two rails , one positive 24Vdc nominally, second negative 24Vdc nominally

nominally means - little lower than that, when amp is fully set and rails are fully loaded

I'm not sure if this shows everythign but here goes.

Attachments

• f6-1.jpeg
    f6-1.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 333
  • f6-2.jpeg
    f6-2.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 320
  • f6-3.jpeg
    f6-3.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 287
  • f6-4.jpeg
    f6-4.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 285
  • f6-5.jpeg
    f6-5.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 280
  • f6-7.jpeg
    f6-7.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 140
  • f6-8.jpeg
    f6-8.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 152
tbrooke,

If you can, flip the amp on it’s side and take some nice closeup shots of the actual F6 amp boards. It’s a little difficult to elucidate anything with the bundle of wires on one side of the amp.

Make sure the center bolt of the toroid is not touching the front panel. You don’t want a shorted turn situation.

Have you tested the power supply separately ? Even with 20V secondaries you should be getting +/- 28V or so without a heavy load.

Thanks,
Anand.

Last edited: