F5 build power on with smoke from R19 and R20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Beginner here, so I could use all the help I could get :)

I started building my F5.. Power supply tested good. So I fired on with a dim bulb attached. The bulb lit for a second or 2 and dimmed completely but I saw some smoke coming out of R19 and R20... Here is a picture where you see R20 discolored :eek: ... any advice before I do more damage:D

Edit: One channel attached, I have not yet assembled the other board. The short ti,e it was up, I read 0V across R11 R12

Thanks

KJ

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Hi Zen Mod,

I am using the "official" F5 build (schematics) with 2SK170, 2SJ74, IRFP9240, IRFP240, ZTX550 and ZTX450 ... I followed the pinout on the board using the build guide as a reference - on page 13, they gave the pin orientation of the different parts that can be used for the build.

Here is another picture, maybe someone more knowledgeable like yourself will spot what I am doing wrong :)

Thanks

KJ

Attachments

• 20140827_181.jpg
    20140827_181.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 346
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well - OP didn't read build guide enough times ;)

check Jfets just in case ( common Idss test with 9V battery and mAmeter)

replace them if needed , even if I believe that they're good

replace small bjts without hesitation

replace R19 and R20

triple check pinout of parts prior to powering up ....... post pic here , so we can check together :clown:

As FYI to other extreme newbies like me, here are the pinouts for Q1 Q2 Q5 and Q6 (2SK170, 2SJ74, ZTX550, ZTX450)

I am going to fix the mess and will post the picture here before powering as ZM suggested in case I do another monumental mistake :(

Thank you again gentlemen for your help

KJ

Attachments

• pinouts.jpg
    pinouts.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 316
Hi,

I turned around the transistors (replaced ZTXs and resistors). Does the board look ok now? Can I go ahead and power it on?

PS. I will probably replace the whole board but I want to make sure that it's fine the way it is so I do not waste another pcb/parts

Many thanks

KJ

Attachments

• 20140828_123320.jpg
    20140828_123320.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 20140828_123418.jpg
    20140828_123418.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 276
Thanks Eric... before I do that, I did some googling and double checked the resistors value and the ones I am using (from the BOM - for board rev 2, I am using rev 3 - are 100R) but the ones on this schematics posted by 6l6 on the F5 board thread are 10k? Actually there are other differences, for instance the schematic shows R21 and R22 as 2.21k while in the BOM they are 10k. Are versions 2 and 3 of the board using different schematics/versions of the F5?

If someone could clarify this to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

KJ

Well I have bigger problems then... the resistors are not the right value...R19 and R20 should be 10k and I am using 100R ! I was following the wrong schematic all along. In the attached schematic from the pdf guide, R19/R20are 100R :( ... like I said in my other post, there are other differences in the values... can you please confirm that 6l6 schematic I linked to is the right one for the store board version 3? Many thanks

Attachments

• F5_old_guide.jpg
    F5_old_guide.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 225
Thanks WalterW, I think you are right. I should use the schematics from the 5FT article where Nelson Pass talks about the F5 first before talking about the changes for the Turbo version.

Actually it's all written on the board page in the store... I should have paid more attention to the change log... unfortunately the Schematics button on the same page links to the one for board version 2!

V3.0
Change to F5 schematics from F5 Turbo article

Minor diagram change in NTC and limiter sections
P3 added to adjust N/P variations to reduce distortion
Relabelling of resistors to match schematics

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
yep, I checked. The schematic I posted is the right one for the V3.0 boards.
It is from the F5 turbo article with the addition of P3. I have both v2.0 and v3.0 boards here so it was easy to check.
So all resistors, except R13 and R14, seems to be wrong...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.