F5 build power on with smoke from R19 and R20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
lol I might as well start with a brand new board... thanks a lot for confirming

Cheers

KJ

If you were able to de-solder the transistors, surely you can de-solder the resistors. You've got a solder sucker right.

When you put things back together, solder your resistors from the top side of the board. Use a tooth pick or something as a spacer to keep them off the board.

Get some Keratherm insulators from the store so you don't have to mess with that goop when taking the boards in an out.

You should re-solder and trim those thermistors also.

If you were able to de-solder the transistors, surely you can de-solder the resistors. You've got a solder sucker right.

Lol, yes I do have a solder sucker ... but if you look at my last pictures, only 1 transistor of the bunch was really desoldered, I cut off the leads of the others at half height and resoldered them... that 1 transistor was a pain to get out without damaging the board... I really don't like - or more accurately lack the skill - to desolder things, it always ends up messy :D

Best regards,

kj

Lol, yes I do have a solder sucker ... but if you look at my last pictures, only 1 transistor of the bunch was really desoldered, I cut off the leads of the others at half height and resoldered them... that 1 transistor was a pain to get out without damaging the board... I really don't like - or more accurately lack the skill - to desolder things, it always ends up messy :D

Best regards,

kj

Desoldering can be a PITA, if it's not going well right away with the solder sucker I usually add more solder and then try again. It looks like not having enough solder to be sucked in does not work best..or maybe my desoldering pump is getting old...LOL

BR,
Eric

Joined 2007
Paid Member

Best regards,

kj

Yes, you would cut the leads close to the body of the resistor. heat it up and then quickly grab it with a needle nose and pull it out. Now get a very fine tip for your soldering station. push it right into the hole and suck the solder out from the other side.

Attachments

• PTS8.JPG
    PTS8.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 202
Hi Guys,

I am happy to report that after using the right schematic and parts (attached below for beginners like me :D), it all went smoothly. The bias setting went ok too. I just closed it up, put the cover on it at 0.5v and 0.3mv offset. I will check on in a hour or so :)

Cheers

KJ

P.S. Matched fets (i.e. 2SK170 and 2SJ74) are not in the parts list.

Attachments

• F5_boardv3.jpg
    F5_boardv3.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20140906_195450.jpg
    20140906_195450.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 20140906_213351).jpg
    20140906_213351).jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 154
  • f5bom.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20140906_213315.jpg
    20140906_213315.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Kevin. I am very happy. This is being my very first amplifier build.

Ok, it's been an hour or so. The offset went up to 6mv...is that normal/acceptable?

I played with P1 and P2 again to lower it a bit...after I have put the cover it started to go up again. It's now at 1.3mv. R7 and R8 are stable at 0.59v

What do you think?

Edit: I have been staring at the meters for the last 10 minutes :) and the voltage across the output resistors is stable one at 0.59v and one at 0.6v. Offset is going up and down from 1.5mv to 2mv

KJ

Last edited:
Ok, so I hooked up the one channel I built so far and tested it for close to 2 hours and it worked perfectly and sounded very good. I measured the temp of the mosfets just before I shut the amplifier down and they were 39-40c, so 17 degrees above ambient temp so we're good :cool:

Now, on to the other channel...

Cheers

KJ

Attachments

• 20140907.jpg
    20140907.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 119
Well the 2nd board did not go well. The bulb stays on... what does it mean? a short? or could it be that I am not wiring the boards properly. Here is a picture of how it is now. I started with only 1 green wire going from the PS board to safety earth through the CL-60. Before I connect the 2nd board, the bulb used to go off very quickly. How long can I afford to wait before I do serious damage? :eek:

Any help is much appreciated... thanks

KJ

Attachments

• 20140907.jpg
    20140907.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.