Building a Pearl 2

itsikhefez,

Thank you for the reply. I have attached a screenshot of the one I am referring to. If yours is the same, do you have any you could sell?

James

Attachments

• psb.PNG
    psb.PNG
    127.7 KB · Views: 337
Hi,
I got 2 questions:

- Is it ok to put 3300/25V caps instead of 35V on the phono board ? 7924/7824 are for +/-24Vdc, so I think some very good and long life 25Vdc Panasonic FR would be fine.

- Is it ok to use a 22µF/25V silmic 2 or bipolar Nichicon Muse ES with R14 to stabilize offset ? I got some in stock.

Thanks

Damien

Working on designing boards to accommodate some capacitor changes on it. I needed to do this since the caps I want to use are too different in physical dimensions to work on my boards I picked up when they first hit the streets.

I have never used any schematic software before, so I am still getting used to it, but I do like this KiCad program. Furthermore, I have attached a few screenshots of where I am now. I still have some things to do as can be seen. I also need to see where TP1 ties in. I believe it is from the output of R17 to the wiper of P1, but I need to verify that.

Attachments

• pic.PNG
    pic.PNG
    181.9 KB · Views: 222
  • pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    134.4 KB · Views: 220
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    123.4 KB · Views: 217
Thank you for your thoughts.

There are no power supply parts in there; basically I have Wayne's schematic and layout open in another window and laying out everything as he had them; so no PS parts.

Why I have you; do you feel the uTracer3+ would be a good enough device for someone using it for the tubes they own and then maybe a few more down the road or maybe wait for the 6? Thanks.

@exojam
As an exercise (so far) I've taken a couple of circuits (not this one) and made layouts that separated signal circuitry from PSU distribution circuitry. The intent was to get a compact and straightforward signal layout without having to use unnecessarily-long traces to accommodate components. I did the layouts for stacked boards interconnected with short wire links or resistor links. Indeed, with one phono circuit I separated the passive components from the active ones from the PSU distribution.

I haven't implemented these yet... I'm trying to work up the courage to use a computer layout programme.

It wasn't the inspiration, but after the fact I realized that the Lyra Connoisseur Phono preamp was executed in a similar vein.

Attachments

• lyra-connoiseur-2_1.png
    lyra-connoiseur-2_1.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 226
Download KiCad and have some fun!

I had never used a PCB program myself until a few weeks ago. I wanted to change up a few things on the Pearl, so I said what the hell. It is a free program that works on Windows and Linux. Documentation is very good, active forum and lots of YouTube videos to help.

I only have about 10 hours on it, and I was able to put what I posted above together. Now with the suggestions from the gentleman above I am removing the voltage regulators and associated parts and making another board. The new board will hold those parts along with a power supply section. It is fun if you enjoy this type of stuff.

I do enjoy figuring out the layouts. I loved sticking down those GC donuts and Letraline on mylar to formalize my hand-drawn layouts (usually after many iterations). Making the boards was not a reliable process for me... part of why I guess I'll have to learn one of these programs so that I can get someone to make the boards.

I don't enjoy a computer program telling me how to do 'em or getting in the way of how I want to work. I had enough of that at work with AutoCad and Microsoft (anything).