Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I'm not sure if buying a printer just for that pays off. You will face a lot of struggle, unless you buy a printer for 3000 EUR. I have now a quotation for a CE360 kit, printed on a professional FDM printer (Raise3D), including the dissoluble supports I mentioned (PETG + PVA), it's around 500 EUR for a two-piece set. You won't get a 3D printer capable of prints in that quality for that money, IMO.

Last edited:
I've just realized it's plain possible to print the petal completely hollow this way and then fill it with just about anything through a drilled hole (0% infill; there's in fact no top layer, only perimeters). It can also be made a lot thicker (not shown).
Not to mention the substantial speeding up of the print and improvement on the surface quality. Well, sometimes it takes a day or two to have a bright idea.. :D

Attachments

• hollow-petal.PNG
    hollow-petal.PNG
    312.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe there should be some support structures between the sides inside the petal to secure that the shape is maintained when something that is going to harden (almost always some shrinkage or expansion!) is poured into to it..?

But I like the idea!!! Perfect!

//

Keep us updated :)

To fit it on the print bed is one thing, the other is to reach the desired quality. The bigger piece it is, the harder it gets, as it tends to warp and so it may be dificult to assemble. At least this is typical for the hobby printers, without heated chambers, etc. I don't know how good is your printer.

Update:

Throat and two 180deg petals printed....

Not too happy with the petals....

Tomorrow some epoxy and then Dremeling.