Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• petals-list.PNG
    petals-list.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It seems that once there is some roll back, it's actually pretty hard to make it seriously degraded. There were even attempts to put the waveguide almost against a baffle behind it (or to "dive" it through), without much degradation. Not something I would do or like (the smoothness of DI probably suffers at the lower end) but obviously it's quite immune - again, once there is some rolling back.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is there really a need for that in this case? Such details can be a pain to print accurately and can easily cause more trouble than they solve, IMHO. I'm not very keen on the idea.

I would first assemble the petals, making a full circle and then attach it to the throat piece. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I hadn't any particular driver in mind, other than the size. The throat angle is 19°, which should work fine with just about anything out there.

I don't know the exit angle of the Peerless DFM2535R00-08 - it will hardly get any better than that, IMO. B&C DE500 was also exemplary. But it's all much more similar than different.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is obvious, but note that you can increase the size of a horn that's printable by just rotating it 45 degrees on the bed.

IE, if your print bed measures 200mm x 200mm, you can print a 282.2mm horn on it by rotating the horn 45 degrees.

Yes, I know. But with the thingy printed for adhesion the 150mm is really more like 140mm. Not much room to rotate.

Well well, I stand corrected. It seems to be possible to print the 180deg petal after all.
I´m a total noob whith 3D printing. Studying the slicer slightly more I found a way to fit the thing in to the print area. I didn´t relize that there´s actually 400 parameters and different ways to position the part on the print bed. My history in 3D printing is about 4 weeks . . .