Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I only wish the inner surface of the base was better but it seems I can't figure out how to do that in this case.
Fuzzy Skin texture from Cura could be option if a textured finish is acceptable.

Attachments

• Fuzzy Skin.jpg
    Fuzzy Skin.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 315
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Four at once on a Prusa Mini. Petals twice as large would be possible easily. The base could be ca 1.5x larger. I am curious about the result of gluing all together. My first layer is slightly squished, so I expect that there would be some very small gaps between the petals, which would be compensated by the glue.

Attachments

• ECB8A898-B04C-43DE-B90A-FB62299BB37D.jpeg
    ECB8A898-B04C-43DE-B90A-FB62299BB37D.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 300
Not a fan, I understand. I thought with the right colour grey it could resemble Nextel ;)

I have been trying Arc Welder
FormerLurker (FormerLurker) * GitHub this turns all the small straight lines into gcode arc's, which for waveguides seems like a good idea. It compresses the gcode massively so there is a lot less data being sent or processed.

I sliced the base with it so I'll let you know what it looks like when it's printed. The petal that's printing now looks pretty good.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Taped together. It should work, but it will require precise gluing. I think liquid nails / construction glue will work the best in this case as there are some slight gaps and it is possible to manipulate with the parts for a short while.

Attachments

• 5F00D555-6A99-4D9D-A3AB-3E01896B6B93.jpeg
    5F00D555-6A99-4D9D-A3AB-3E01896B6B93.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 352
Yeah, gluing it all together may be still tricky, even if the parts alone are pretty precise (which they should be). I still wonder about the best procedure. Some tools or templates can be printed for that. I'm definitely going to try a cyanoacrylate glue first, maybe a polyurethane then.

Very nice print, BTW! Is that PET-G?

Last edited:
To me it looks like a hell on earth.

It is hard enough to make two or four pieces align without some edges sticking out that require more sanding later on. Not to mention excess epoxy glue that needs to be removed. It doesn't sand quite the same as printing material so it is easy to make damage.

I wonder if your default slicer settings has the inner walls run twice as fast like it was in mine?
No but it's not a big deal, some sanding, that's all. I expect the epoxy coating to smooth the surface considerably anyway.

Otherwise, the way it was printed it is quite accurate and it should not be a problem to assemble. Remember that for the ST260 this may not be necessary but this is just a verification of the concept for (much) larger devices, that simply won't fit on the bed no matter what you do. If this is a way how to make even big DIY waveguides with a common 3D printer at home (anywhere in the world at the cost of some filament and the finish), I'm all for it.

Attachments

• 20210808_120543.jpg
    20210808_120543.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited: