Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

It's just that I quite like the free standing looks (and no, I don't like the idea a of curtains in front of the speakers in our living room :) )

Then live with the compromises that "pretty" speakers entail.

Honestly as much as I admire the work that has been done here, I have to say that none of it is much of an improvement over what I made decades ago. Look at the polars of an NS-15 on my website and show me speakers that can match that performance (sure decades later people have come close to matching them, but I did this decades ago.)

I don't really see the disagreement here... If I'm reading this correctly, Marcel is showing that some rectangular waveguides can measure well on the diagonal, and Dr. Geddes is showing that some can measure poorly.

It comes down to a difference in design of the waveguide. SEOS and Ath-generated models are not the same.

Then live with the compromises that "pretty" speakers entail.

Honestly as much as I admire the work that has been done here, I have to say that none of it is much of an improvement over what I made decades ago. Look at the polars of an NS-15 on my website and show me speakers that can match that performance (sure decades later people have come close to matching them, but I did this decades ago.)
Come on, I have a 13" WG that beats your 19"... :)

OK, I see what you are saying now (I missed the "not") - my data disagrees. If you are saying that one could design a waveguide such that the diagonals are no worse than any other angle, then yes, I agree. As the waveguide becomes smoother around its perimeter the diagonal problems get less.

Show me a waveguide with sharp corners that is "better" (or even not worse) along the diagonal.

Last edited:
Back when the SEOS first came out it was stated that it was based on some of my work. But I thought the implementation was poor and I objected. To prove my point I measured an SEOS H, V & across the diagonal. The diagonal was the worst of the bunch, but given the poor handling of the mouth, I wasn't real happy with any of them. I was severely chastised for doing this and so I simply bowed out of the SEOS clan. The data was shown there many many years ago.

But luckily I did find them (attached.)

I can't upload them as they are too big. Maybe I'll figure something out.

Attachments

• econo_D.png
    econo_D.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 221
  • econo_V.png
    econo_V.png
    383.7 KB · Views: 225