Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Finally completed printing the ATH horn for my Tad2001. Had to put some drywall putty as it split when I put the bolts in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_130114675.jpg
    IMG_20210131_130114675.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20210131_130132739.jpg
    IMG_20210131_130132739.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20210131_130159482.jpg
    IMG_20210131_130159482.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 310
I just bought an Omnimic and Dats. So I used Dats to directly drive the TAD using a short sine sweep. Here's what I have...
Disclaimer: I just got these tools and don't really know yet how to fully use it.
I welcome any input and request what I should be measuring.

No smoothing. How does it look?

Attachments

• fr.png
    fr.png
    15 KB · Views: 557
  • imp.png
    imp.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 307
  • wf.png
    wf.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 176
I just bought an Omnimic and Dats. So I used Dats to directly drive the TAD using a short sine sweep. Here's what I have...
Disclaimer: I just got these tools and don't really know yet how to fully use it.
I welcome any input and request what I should be measuring.

No smoothing. How does it look?

This is illustrative for the quality of the TAD and the horn.
Looks good already. There's only a shallow dip around 1500 Hz.
This is with a highpass around 1000 Hz?

Last edited:
There's room for improvement/optimisation such as flattening the response, but I suspect this is already listenable.

So there's no highpass? Be careful not to blow your diaphragm.
There appears to be no loading below 1000Hz, which was to be expected.

If there are irregularities larger than say 0.8mm in the throat, then sanding certainly makes sense.

Last edited:
There's room for improvement/optimisation such as flattening the response, but I suspect this is already listenable.

So there's no highpass? Be careful not to blow your diaphragm.
There appears to be no loading below 1000Hz, which was to be expected.

If there are irregularities larger than say 0.8mm in the throat, then sanding certainly makes sense.

Yes no highpass for testing. I'll be careful with what I play on it.

I just run my fingers on the transition between the driver and the horn throat. i feel the horn diameter is a bit smaller and sticks out by more than 1mm . I'll shave it down, sand and report back...

Yeah that is crazy FR for a finished product. I guess I should be happy with my first try.
Gotta give thanks to Marcel for ATH, making it possible for a complete horn design newbie to come up with something great. Can't wait to tweak this and do more :)

I'll make some jig for polars and see how it looks.
When measuring, should I make the center of rotation at the horn mouth or throat? Increment by 10degrees enough?

Last edited:
It's great to see such progress. Now it really gets interesting.

Don't go so close with the mic (but maybe I misuderstood). You can find the sufficient distance where the polars won't change further but you will definitely need to learn and use properly the time gating of the impulse response to exclude room reflections (should be documented in Dats - I've never used this SW myself so I can't hep). For the waveguide+driver combo alone the time window typically doesn't have to be longer than a few miliseconds, which should be obtainable in a room without problems - always go as far as possible with the mic (around 1 m should already be fine here, maybe even a bit less).

On one of your pictures there seems a time window applied but it's definitely not in the end so this is somewhat confusing. The critical thing is to not truncate the impulse at its beginning - always make sure this isn't the case.

Really looking forward to see more measurements. I'd use the throat as the center of rotation, at least this is used in the simulations (unless you change it). 10 deg step is fine.

Last edited:
just trying to generate a horn for Faital HF10AK (Exit-Angel 21° concical, so set "Throat.Angle = 10.5" right?). The horn should be about 10 inch wide (for 10 inch woofer below). Height is not defined. Depth about 9-10cm. My aim is to get 90° horizontal and 40-50° verctical coverage. I tried differnt configs (with superellipse, superformula and with normal Angle-Setting). The 90° horizontal I got with differnt settings but I was not able to generate a suitable config file to get 40-50° vertical. It´s always about 60-70° (regarding to ABEC). Can anyone help me to get an config file with lower vertical coverage.

Here is an example with superformula to start with (but with to high vertical coverage):

Code:
Throat.Profile = 1
Throat.Diameter = 25.4 		; [mm]
; HF10AK Angle [url=https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF_Drivers/product_details/index.php?id=502010110]FaitalPRO | HF Drivers | HF10AK (8Ω)[/url]
Throat.Angle = 10.5		; [deg]
; Length of synergy horn spredsheet
Length = 90.4

Geometry.Definition = 2		; use guiding curve
GCurve.Type = 2				; superformula
GCurve.SF = 1.02,1,4,1,12.6,1.9 ; values of a,b,m,n1,n2,n3
GCurve.Width = 50; [mm]
GCurve.Dist = 0.399; half the length		
;GCurve.AspectRatio = 2.5

Term.s = 0.5
Term.n = 4.0 
Term.q = 0.996