HF1440 New Ring Compression Driver from Faital Pro.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yep I know, it's not a critic from me. But do no why I can not get it right ater hundred of posts read from him. I think it's a sort of orthographic disphasy from me - not a dyslexia as I could read my mother language at 5 which is before most-. That's a shame because he makes great efforts to talk aboit his science with simple words for guys like me with no technical background. I apologize for that btw ! I mainly learned english on books and by taste for this language and its litterature but I' still very limited cause I learned it adult and I'm not very gifted in languages learning though I know few - but wrote bad- !:( People that are easy and gifted to learn language don't know the luck they have :)

Well, I believed to understand some have side to side the 2" TD-4001 driver vs the 1.5" Faital 1440 ! Is someone aware of a side to side benchmark of both in a same horn with adaptaters or two different throated horns but from a same expansion design ? Legis member perhaps ?

don't you think if they where then he'd still be making them? its not like they are still patented

Patent attached.
These horns are expensive to manufacture and have become obsolete due to their size and the advent of smaller PA systems, primarily line arrays.
Danley incorporated Keele's secondary mouth flare in his Synergy horns.

If you compare Keele's horns for EV & JBL, you'll find these are all variations on the same diffraction theme that he first introduced with HR series 1.
The slot in the JBL horns is positioned vertically in order to circumvent patent infringement.
While the Bi-Radial mouth section of the JBL can be considered an improvement, the HR series A is better, because the throat generates a much lower amount of diffraction and HOMs.
The HR series (including the smaller HR60 and 90) don't differ much from Arai, TAD and similar radial horns.

Attachments

• US4071112.pdf
    838.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ev-electro-voice-hr90-horn.jpg
    ev-electro-voice-hr90-horn.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 724
  • TAD TH-4003.jpg
    TAD TH-4003.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Sure, I will keep you posted.

Here's the uhf response (96khz sampling) of the driver without a horn with an uncalibrated ECM8000. Near field measurement at ~10cm. The -3dB knee around 23khz, not bad for a large format driver.

That already looks promising.
Tbh, I had my doubts about the output in the top octave, but they seem unfounded.
Once mounted to the Arai horn, the on-axis response should be pretty flat.
This driver definitely doesn't need a tweeter.

Last edited:
Yep, shyly positive first bite. I also had slight doubts regarding the hf response.

They sound nice without horns, not the typical slightly muffled hf/details like with many bigger poly domes. Actually when listened like this, quite impossible to tell by listening what material the radiator is ie. I cannot hear any plastic spice in the sound (at least when not directly comparing to a be-diaphragm driver, I reserve a right to alter my opinion :D). The 1" coil bms 4524/2426HE is also not bad in this regard for a plastic driver (very good details in hf), but remarkable that the faital is much bigger with a radiating area +/- of a 3" dome.

Might be the high flux which deeply saturates the irons and the coil does not need any shorting ring to have low Le. There seems to be a neodymium ring inside the voice coil under the top plate. Might be a two neodymium ring driver to get that massive flux.

cxdLPOH.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
So how do you like it for instance vs the others less FR Faitals you already have ?

When I'm looking your spl measurment but the +3db knee around 12-15 k hz (really arming in a living room for people more than 55 years ??? hey, not sure ! Dunno !) on the paper it could play without horn :eek:

I don't have any other Faital drivers.

Yep there's a small bump 12-15khz. Not alarming as it's wide Q at least without a horn. Higher Q horn profile (slowly opening) might even damp it more by increasing the air mass load (or not:D). I wouldn't worry about it. Also the impulse response is very clean, does not store energy/ring.

edit. here's the graph. The ultimate shape will change in a horn and won't be as underdamped, but what to look for is the quite small amount of high-freq "zig-zag" after the impulse.

nKWV8wH.jpg

Another example:
rbtYFmY.png

Last edited: