Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2019, 03:44 AM   #331
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Played with some Scanspeak tweeters! I measured four designs. One 5" that is basically the same as other 5" ellipticals in this thread. A 5" that has uses a 1:.80 aspect ratio. A 6" that is basically a scaled up version of the 5" ellipticals. And the Visiton WG148.

Click the image to open in full size.

The 5" results:

The 6":

And the Visiton WG148:

Here are pics of how I mated to the WG148. Used some bluetac to fill in gaps and seal around the interface. I don't how I could improve the situation any further.

Last edited by augerpro; 5th April 2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 5th April 2019, 04:02 AM   #332
diyAudio Member

The design files:

Dropbox - 6x1 A SS.stl
Dropbox - 6x1 A SS .step
Dropbox - 5x.75 A SS.stl
Dropbox - 5x.75 A SS.step
Dropbox - 5x.75 B SS.step
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzpq1jc3p2...%20SS.stl?dl=0
Old 5th April 2019, 04:46 PM   #333
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thank you Brandon! These look rather nice! What drive voltage did you use for those measurement (I am trying to understand the SPL gain involved with these waveguides)?
Old 5th April 2019, 05:42 PM   #334
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what voltage I used, but they have been calibrated to be correct +/- 1 dB at 2.83V.
Old 5th April 2019, 06:50 PM   #335
Arnandsway is offline Arnandsway  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'm alsoy trying to figure this out because tehe SB26ADC measurements show now a lower sensitivity than without a WG. Could it be because of a lower voltage?
Old 5th April 2019, 07:31 PM   #336
diyAudio Member

Where are you seeing this? For this run of tests, I was only able to calibrate the SPL "through the side door". Basically take a known tweeter, measure it and set the levels so that it matches factory spec. Then other measurements should be correct too, but there is some eyeballing with that original measurement. When I get my permanent setup rebuilt now that I'm back in a house, I'll redo the calibration based off a voltage.
Old 5th April 2019, 07:39 PM   #337
Arnandsway is offline Arnandsway  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Awesome to hear. Thanks for all the hard work.

On page 30 I see that the sensitivity does not really reach 90 dB, with the 5" WG.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:33 AM   #338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Played with some Scanspeak tweeters ...
Here are pics of how I mated to the WG148. Used some bluetac to fill in gaps and seal around the interface. I don't how I could improve the situation any further.

The WG148 needs some machining to fit the Scan R2904 and D6600. The Blue Tack probably gives an air-tight seal, but you won't get a nice fit of the throat to the point where the dome / ring membrane is fixed to the tweeter assembly. I'd guess the rather poor response curves you got the from WG148 are the result of this. Also take a look at this, which allowed me to get a much smoother SPL response with the WG148.
Old 6th April 2019, 08:37 AM   #339
diyAudio Member

Makes sense that milling the WG148 down made for better response. You could nestle that tweeter in more with no gap around the diaphragm. Without doing that I knew the response wouldn't be that good because the throat interface just looked poor to me.
Old 6th April 2019, 08:34 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

I am considering ordering a batch of the ScanSpeak 5" version A, made on a CNC machine from aluminium, black anodized. These would fit the ScanSpeak D3004/66x0 (textile and beryllium domes), the R2904 ring radiators and most likely also the R3004 ring radiator (just replace their stock face plate by the waveguide). The waveguides might possibly also fit some of the other ScanSpeak tweeters, but I have no clue what these tweeters look like when their face plate is removed.

Getting more than just a single pair for me would get the price down quite a bit. Anyone interested?

Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!Hide this!Advertise here!