Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Finished. 3 way passive open baffles. AST2560, Neo10, Satori WO24P. Corian baffle, sealed walnut bass enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpeg
    IMG_3609.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_3606.jpeg
    IMG_3606.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 1,202
My take on a new tweeter....

Hi all.

Here is my new version Open Baffle: The Betsy is run fullrange, and the Eminence Alpha 10 is supporting in the lower octave. Earlier I used the BG Neo3 - but I also changed it with the AST2560... First tried with filling in from 9000 hz and up, but then I made it go from 5800 hz and up. And the result is breathtaking. Earlier with the Neo3 some higher notes could get sharp and hard for longer time. But now there is a silkiness and resolution that I only heard better on my friends Martin Logan. I used the Neo3 faceplate (with some minor repositioning) that is perfect. I have a plan about making the baffle smaller or not so wide in the upper part.

With the rest of my Luminaria (SIT) Preamp and the Mono SIT 2SK82 amplifier -- the resulting sound is near live in room.

Best Olav

Attachments

• Ny tweeter.jpg
    Ny tweeter.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 1,152
Hi Nic....

Hi Nicoch58

Yes, it`s been a while since I have been around this site now. Life sometimes gives one rough times - but music has always comforted me. So I returned with some bruises and scar - but still looking for that nice sound! And in my pension I will try to keep small aadjustment on a nnearly perfect setup HiFi system.

Best to you from Olav

Here's my latest iteration. From the top:

ESS Heil AMT (with a 'hat' to give the wings a roundover)
2000 Hz, Harsch
Eminence Beta 8a (on a baffle of leftover melamine-covered shelving)
250 HZ, LR4
Dayton RSS315HF-4 (sealed box, Linkwitz transform to 30 Hz)

Front end:
Either: Raspberry Pi 4 running Moode, HiFi Berry Digi+Pro hat, SPDIF out
Or: Qobuz on PC, Topping D10 dac, toslink out
To: miniDSP 4 x 10HD xover & EQ, all balanced outputs
4 channels of Modulus 86 amps for the mids and highs
Crown XLS1000 for the bass

Never done tweaking, of course, but this sounds pretty good right now.

Attachments

• P1060531.JPG
    P1060531.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 1,452
  • P1060530.JPG
    P1060530.JPG
    509.7 KB · Views: 1,652
Here's my latest iteration. From the top:

ESS Heil AMT (with a 'hat' to give the wings a roundover)
2000 Hz, Harsch

Hello!
Did the roundovers improved the sound? Or measurements? I'm interested as I also have a large AMT in dipole, in my case the TPL-150H, and I have no roundovers beyond the aluminum waveguide, so wondering if there is an improvement to be had there.

Did it allow you to raise the xo point, lower it, or keep it were it was originally with improved sound?

FWIW, I also run an 8" below, although mine is naked. A baffle is to be tried soon. I'm crossing at 1.5kHz NT2.

No Baffle four way

Hi

Here is my attempt to build a 4 way no baffle speaker. Fatal Pro 15PR400 in an H Baffle, Faital 12PR300 naked for lowmids, Satori MW16 naked for highmids and the GRS BR3 copy for treble.
I have DSP capacity for two channels and can use three amps.
The H Baffle is lowpassed oldschool with 22mH and ca. 300uF and gets one amp. Midwoover ist actively crossed with DSP as well as the Satori and tweeter combo. Those are crossed passively 6 dB electrically with 1mH on the Satori and 2,2 uF on the tweeter.
I tried a lot of different crossover topologies and right now I favour very shallow curves and transient prefect alignment.
The 12PR300 has a very smooth response like the Satori. So just for fun I tried a 6dB first order filter at around 750Hz. And It works and sounds great.
The tweeter crosses at around 5kH nearly first order too.
With careful time alignment everything fell pretty nicely into place.
LR2 and Harsch sounded nice too, but this is the most relaxed sounding topology so far, very nice.
The measurement where done in room at the listening position.
Of course the speaker is pretty sensitive concerning the listening height but the dispersion horizontically is fine. Not really dipole in the upper mids, because the beaming of the woofers take over, but it sounds fine to me.
The Satori is not very sensitive anyway, the shallow filters and dipole peak correction do not help either, so system sensitvity is only about 85 dB, but well... I guess that is the price to pay.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.46.48.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.46.48.png
    932.6 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.44.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 21.44.57.png
    966.3 KB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:
I like the sound a lot! Maximum volume and bass extension is limited but both is sufficient for me. Maybe I will build some kind of subwoofer for the last octave some day. And if funds allow I am going to ad a pair of hypex fusion amps. Since mine is a testbed too, I am thinking about a nice „enclosure“ ��

Last edited:
After having these OB's sitting for 3 years unused, I decided to pull them out and get them up and running again, replacing my Martin Logan SL3's. And yes, they're still on these ugly "temporary" baffles that I originally built just to break in the AN drivers. Hopefully, that will change in the next few months with proper baffles and the other three pairs of bass drivers installed.

As they sit right now, in the new room/system, they simply blow away every loudspeaker I own, including the SL3's, the GR-Research X-Statik's with fully upgraded crossovers & No Rez, and my old NHT 2.9's.

None of those speakers even come close to the naturalness, dynamics and life-like presentation that these OB's bring to the table. These things impress me every time I listen to them.

And just a quick run-down of the signal chain...

Roon Core running Qobuz & Tidal

Raspberry Pi 4 running RoPieeeXL via USB -> Schiit Bifrost 2 -> Schiit Freya+ -> dbx DriveRack Venu 360
Fullrange Drivers -> Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2 -> Audio Nirvana Super 12 Ferrite crossed at 98 Hz @ 12dB
Bass Drivers -> NuPrime STA9 -> Eminence Acoustinator N2012 crossed at 50 Hz @ 48 dB & 176 Hz @ 36 dB
Subwoofers -> NuPrime STA9 (for signal only) -> JL Audio e110 crossed at 60 Hz @ 48 dB

Using all XLR interconnects.

p4134543662-5.jpg

p4134545220-5.jpg