• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

LCSC stock does fluctuate quick a bit. I would attribute the stock to a few things.

1. They are a affiliated with JLCPCB and probably use the parts for auto populating boards for large customer orders.
2. They are close to where many of these parts are manufactured and can probably source more easily.

Like I said, I've had good luck with them so far after ordering hundreds of parts. If you can find what you need and get the shipping cost to work out you can really get a good deal on parts from these guys.

X,

Have you experimented with taking the speaker return (0V) and connecting it directly to the SLB GND instead of onto the main board of the amplifier pcb? I am curious with regards to minimizing noise and distortion. Some designers prefer to have the speaker return go directly to the PS board as opposed to the main amp pcb.

Andrew Russell of Hifisonix has a nice discussion on this on his website.

Best,
Anand.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Anand,
Yes, I have done it both ways and it is just as quiet either way. That’s one of the reasons we provided 8 GND terminals on the SLB so that it can act as the STAR ground hub. The 8 Faston spade terminals are provided on thick 2oz copper on both sides stitched together with vias for a very low impedance ground hub point.

758461d1558568508-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-5431d4ee-3959-435c-8995-c93eefaac2d2-jpeg

X,

Have you experimented with taking the speaker return (0V) and connecting it directly to the SLB GND instead of onto the main board of the amplifier pcb? I am curious with regards to minimizing noise and distortion. Some designers prefer to have the speaker return go directly to the PS board as opposed to the main amp pcb.

Andrew Russell of Hifisonix has a nice discussion on this on his website.

Best,
Anand.

So who you gonna believe, Anand?

Andrew Russell ... or those who have done it either way - with equally good results? :D

Me ... I put the spkr return on the AN board - simply because this meant (in my layout) a much shorter wire.

Andy

So who you gonna believe, Anand?

Andrew Russell ... or those who have done it either way - with equally good results? :D

Me ... I put the spkr return on the AN board - simply because this meant (in my layout) a much shorter wire.

Andy

Good question. I may try both methods actually.

I have a 5U/400 chassis, an 800VA Toroidy w/ 4 pairs of secondaries and my (2) SLB dual rail supplies mounted to the front panel. As such, the shorter wiring method would be to have the speaker 0V return go to the amp PCB’s which are mounted on the heatsinks.

Best,
Anand.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hello Anand,

Andrew’s manual should be in all DIY’ers toolbox :D

If your setup is for an Alpha Nirvana amp project, it’s essentially exactly the same as mine except your Toroidy is much nicer than my pair of Anteks. Just for reference, my speaker returns attach to the AN board ;)

Enjoy your build!

Cheers,
Vunce

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Attachments

• 1E031960-A515-4FD2-9898-87FE5DEF6376.jpeg
    1E031960-A515-4FD2-9898-87FE5DEF6376.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 417
Digikey have about 2k in stock of the STP110N8F6 - should still be plenty in Europe stockist.

I just received 32 of these low RDson MOSFETs (110A 80v, 6.5mOhm) from LCSC for $24. Took about 10 days but they do look genuine. LCSC is parts branch of JLCPCB so they are reputable as they assemble PCBs.

Well, thanks for these pointers, but I'd like to avoid splitting orders to different suppliers with all the nitty gritty and shipping costs etc., just to get some FETs or a heatsink that fits the board.

Can anyone suggest replacement parts that would work well and are available at Mouser (both for the FET and the heatsink)?