TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hi Jerms,
If I'm reading your enclosure specs correctly the cross-sectional area of the main compartment is 150 cm^2. The original TABAQ has this at 4 x Sd, so would increasing your csa to more like 200 cm^2 improve the sound as well as giving you the space to squeeze the larger driver in? You could also then shorten the enclosure to maintain the same internal volume.
Rob.

I increased the CSA to the point at which a hump started to appear in the bottom end. Increasing it further would accentuate the hump.

Sim'ing it again, it's quite nice at 78cm with 200cm2 cross section. :) . Plus, there's potentially more space for an FR driver to breathe at the top.

U should also try it with W130S-8... :)

TABAQ for Tang Band W3-881SJF

Please find my thought about the 881SJF driver.

I am looking forward to hear comments on this driver, which seems to have some fine data at a nice price.

Of course this is not a party speaker, but no 3 inch speaker can move enough air. My experience is that these small drivers are rather amazing at moderate levels.

The 881SJF has a Qts in the low end for a quarter wave, but with some adjustments as described enclosed I am pretty sure the result will be fine. :)

Hi
Bjørn

Attachments

• TABAQ for TB W3-881SJF.pdf
    490.9 KB · Views: 287
Thanks Bjørn for your effort. I have the w3-881sj in the original TABAQ enclosure now. I support it with a subwoofer (fixed crossover at 150 Hz) since I have a 5.1 class D amplifier.
Without subwoofer (in stereo 2.0 mode) they sound great but "thin", exactly like your calculation for those drivers in a original TABAQ enclosure.
Looking forward to your 10-year TABAQ document for which driver is best for the original enclosure.

Hi Jerms,
If I'm reading your enclosure specs correctly the cross-sectional area of the main compartment is 150 cm^2. The original TABAQ has this at 4 x Sd, so would increasing your csa to more like 200 cm^2 improve the sound as well as giving you the space to squeeze the larger driver in? You could also then shorten the enclosure to maintain the same internal volume.
Rob.

I sim'd this earlier but neglected to post it in my response.
W100S-8 in 12x17x78cm (204cm2) enclosure. Vent is 2.5x16CM effective length. FR driver would mount on top in 12x12x17 or similar box. Overall, I like the idea better than the taller version I modelled earlier.

Ultimately, the woofer would be the limiting factor. It'll run out of excursion.

Screenshot%202016-10-07%2003.55.45.png

J.

I sim'd this earlier but neglected to post it in my response.
W100S-8 in 12x17x78cm (204cm2) enclosure. Vent is 2.5x16CM effective length. FR driver would mount on top in 12x12x17 or similar box. Overall, I like the idea better than the taller version I modelled earlier.

Ultimately, the woofer would be the limiting factor. It'll run out of excursion.
J.

Hi J,
I've just been trying to copy your sim but the infinite baffle (blue) line looks a different shape to what I get. Mine rolls off at the high end a lot sooner. The Lvc value I used is 0.9mH from the datasheet I found. From your screen grab it's showing 9E-05 H which equates to 0.09mH. Am I using the right value here?

Hi J,
I've just been trying to copy your sim but the infinite baffle (blue) line looks a different shape to what I get. Mine rolls off at the high end a lot sooner. The Lvc value I used is 0.9mH from the datasheet I found. From your screen grab it's showing 9E-05 H which equates to 0.09mH. Am I using the right value here?

You've not got a filter set?

Hi J,

I just checked this. Apparently I can't enter numbers accurately. :eek:
As you stated, I'd entered 0.09mH rather than 0.9mH.

Additional confusion caused by the data on the upstairs computer being correct whilst the downstairs one was wrong. S'pose I should be storing this stuff on the NAS....

If I decide to make these, I think these might be the FR drivers on top.
SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 Full-Range

J.

Hi all, I've been a long time lurker on this forum but this is my first post.

I am finally planning to have a go a building a pair of TABAQ's but I'm struggling to work out what drivers to use. Being in the UK I haven't managed to find anywhere selling Tang Band. Can anyone point me in the right direction or advise on alternative drivers that are easily available in the UK with out breaking the bank please?

And last but not least I'd like to thank Bjohannesen for making these designs available to everyone, i'm very much looking forward to hearing them!

Cheers,

Ben

... Being in the UK I haven't managed to find anywhere selling Tang Band. Can anyone point me in the right direction or advise on alternative drivers that are easily available in the UK with out breaking the bank please?

Hi Ben, I'm in the UK and recently ordered a Tangband W3-315E from Blue Planet Accoustics in Germany at http://www.oaudio.de to go into a single TABAQ.

You can switch the site to English and the shipping was 12 Euros I think. I also bought some Sonofil at the same time.
http://www.oaudio.de

Active TABAQ

An easy way is to use this tiny BT AMP and just hide it anywhere - or put it in one of the cabinets.

My amp is just laying on the floor behind a book shelf :)

The Ultimate Bluetooth Audio Receiver/Amplifier - Model 300

PS: For streaming I use VLC with EQ on - but Flat - and "2 runs" set.

Hi
Bjørn

Attachments

• BTAMP.jpg
    BTAMP.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 676
MCM Has just released a new series of Paper/Kelvar coned full range speakers. Check out these part numbers on their site.
3" Model 55-5650 FS 100 Hz Qts .33 Vas 1.7 L
4" 55-5655 FS 71 Hz Qts .465 Vas 19.8 L
5"55-5660 FS 52 Hz Qts .638 Vas 24.8 L

All claim FS to 20K response and you can download a detailed PDF on each one;
MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

Well,

Really liking my TABAQs with W4-1052SDF drivers.

I changed the dimensions a tad from the original design, just because the small boards I had were already cut in width, and I only had to cut to length.

So, internal dimensions are 810 x 115 x 120mm (HxWxD).

To be almost flat, it just needs two small notches at 2800Hz (-4dB, Q=1.6) and 10000Hz (-2dB, Q=4).

No BSC needed with the two notches.

Very easy to do when plugged to a computer as source, or, like mine most of the time, to an iPad using a music player with EQ, like the app EQu.

Using those dims, and the two little notches, the sound has a nice balance, with a nice impact... authoritative would be more precise.