TABAQ TL for Tangband

Stand-offs were a random find at a hardware store. I'm still not quite sure what's their original use is :) They looked quite poor at first, but then some sandpaper helped to get a nice brushed look. The same goes for laser cut stainless steel base. I've also used self-adhesive furniture felt to hide screw heads so they do not scratch the floor.

Still, I have an itch to build something myself. Next on the list is a prototype of a small box with BMRs for background music.

Dear board,

I decided to build the normal size TABAQ with 4" drivers. Which driver do you recommend from listening experience? I have no shortlist yet so surprise me :)
I am thinking in the price range of a Tangband W4-1320SIF, like 50 dollar.
MarkAudio is hard to get here in the Netherlands, but not impossible.
So what is your favourite 4" driver for TABAQ? :worship:

Can I add one note for newcomers to this thread? There is so much info on TABAQ enclosures and drivers that it is very hard to get an good overview on how to start with these TABAQ speakers. :spin: May I suggest that someone makes a posting on which TABAQ enclosure (normal,large,extra large) goes with what commonly used driver (diameter)? What factors for using that driver? Size, Fs or Qts (is only stuffing?) etc.

Thanks in advance.

After some careful listening with good headphone to various speakers on youtube I decided to have a go with the tang band W3-881SJF. They are clear and flat. Hope to get some base with Bjorn's original TABAQ enclosure. Just to get the project started. How hard can it be? :D

Perhaps Bjorn can have some advise on driver placement and filling for the W3-881SJF?

Thanks.

Thanks Bjorn. Looking forward. I want to start building this week.

Will a bigger butterfly shaped underplate (for more stability) instead of the regular square bottom end plate will influence the bass?

Also just out of curiosity: what effect would it have if I place the driver on top (so facing up) instead of 2/3 on the baffel? I have a "sound spread" idea for that. Probably not a good idea for soundstage but just curious what that will do to the harmonics.

Cheers

Happy 10 year TABAQ anniversary Bjørn! :D

I have bought a W3-315E for my short TABAQ build and am waiting for the plywood. Some other non Tang Band, high-Qts drivers I looked at were the Faital Pro 3FE25 and the Tymphany Peerless 3" PLS-P830986.

I was quite impressed by the look of the frequency response of the 3FE25 so I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts. Not sure if the Peerless one is currently available.

Rob.

MarkAudio is hard to get here in the Netherlands, but not impossible.
Just order them at Rumoh.eu, he also stocks a lot of Tang Band drivers and has experience with building TABAQs. He actually recommends the Omnes Audio BB3.01 for this enclosure (€39,50).

(no affiliation, but I'd recommend them, the owner is very friendly and his service is good).

Just order them at Rumoh.eu, he also stocks a lot of Tang Band drivers and has experience with building TABAQs. He actually recommends the Omnes Audio BB3.01 for this enclosure (€39,50).

(no affiliation, but I'd recommend them, the owner is very friendly and his service is good).

Contacted Rudy from Rumoh. w3-881sjf will arrive this week. He hasn't heard them in person yet so he cannot compare them with BB3.01

So my TABAQ project is soon to start :)

Hi Bjørn,

Thanks for the update. The word "interesting" coming from you makes me curious :)

I had some spare MDF (15mm) and made the standard TABAQ enclosures with 100 gr Sonofil (stuffed 2/3 upper part to back- and sidewalls). Then tried the w3-881sj in it.
Yes the neodymium and not ferrite w3-881sjF since something went wrong with shipping. Have to wait for the 881sjf. Anyway with the 881sj it doesn't sound that bad at all.

So now I wait for your findings and the 881sjF :)

Cheers

Only one thing for it then.... Make it into a FAST Tabaq. :)

Visaton W100S-8 or maybe Dayton ND105-8 as the woofer will net you an F3 in the high 30s to low 40hz range. It does need to be sim'd as "everything" changes, albeit slightly.

Screenshot%202016-10-05%2005.03.52.png

Hi Jerms,
If I'm reading your enclosure specs correctly the cross-sectional area of the main compartment is 150 cm^2. The original TABAQ has this at 4 x Sd, so would increasing your csa to more like 200 cm^2 improve the sound as well as giving you the space to squeeze the larger driver in? You could also then shorten the enclosure to maintain the same internal volume.
Rob.