New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t really like shoving a big driver in a small box. For the x5 or x6 it can work, but as an example, the A6p sounds more open and less constrained in the 4.7 litre miniOnken than any of the 4: in the same box. For midTweeter use i almost always use a n aperiodic midTL for maximum fidelity (ie the TL sucks up most of the back wave and flattens the impedance response (dramatically if you do it right). The impedance thing makes passive XOs much easier.

dave

Attachments

• CHN50 Damped-vent standmount.PNG
    CHN50 Damped-vent standmount.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 634
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
have you looked at line arrays yet? I know you were keen if there was a square basket version.

I have looked at and thot about them a lot. But it is a rich man’s sport. It is hard to justify 60 small FRs vrs spending less on a single better one. A CHN-50 in a rectamgualr basket could make for a much easier LA build… one would just need to be able to afford to order 1000+ drivers.

The few (multiway) LA i heard were not very good.

dave

So I’ve been enjoying the CHN50’s.
They don’t go very loud. And the bass at least in my Ill-fitting sealed cabs isn’t tremendous but the tonal balance is good.

For a while I’ve been considering having a home theatre set up. Mainly as the movies I have are in 5.1 and for some reason the dynamic range is ridiculous through an integrated amp.

Anyway. I feel like a few of these would make for an amazing centre speaker. I remember seeing some clever wiring for an Alpair centre

What do you think? Would these make a decent centre speaker with several drivers (small array). Or as it’s my fav’ use a A7.3 or perhaps a single newer larger and more capable MA driver.

Also at current the price difference between these and the A5.2’s is slim. Has anyone compared the two?

For the last couple of years the core of my "home cinema" setup has been a pair of dCHR-Ken70s crossed to a subwoofer at 80Hz, and I've been more than happy with them.

(if Dave searches deep memory he may recall that dCHR-Ken started life with a request for a CHR-70 design that would fit between the shelves of a very specific bookshelf! The bookshelf is long gone, but the speakers are going strong)

Unfortunately, the speakers aren't mine - they were a gift for my then-girlfriend and soon to be ex-wife, and when she moves they'll go too. It's not the part I'm most torn up about, but it's the part that's most relevant here on diyaudio.com

So, I need to build something new. I'm sure Pluvia 7 would work in a minor variant of that dCHR-Ken, but in a home cinema application I have a lot more flexibility on size than I did way back when.

I was thinking about the 11cm class in the hopes of getting a bit more extension (the lower I can cross that sub the better, IMO) and handling a bit more power.

Locally, the price difference between Pluvia 11 and Alpair 11MS is small (less than 10%). Are there any particular reasons to favour one over the other? Obvious the Alpair is the more prestigious product and has the fancy mono-suspension, but does it sound better?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st note: The P7 has the potential to go lower than any other current MA driver except the A12pw (and historically the A10.2) — it is very close to what he EL70 did. With the smaller cone it will not move as much air thou. Because of the greater width tha leads to some sqat boxes, but for HT, Pensil or FHXL might be a better choice, and there the box dominates as far as bass. I do very much like the SeaStack we built.

The A11ms is considerably better sonically than the P11. Both fit in similar size box — like the CHR optimum miniOnken is 9 litre.

The only edge the P11 might have is that the rear suspension makes it harder to break, but Scott & crew tried REALLY hard to break the A11ms when they 1st showed it. It has not been out long enuff to get a lot of feedback.

They are all better than the CHR70.x

What kind of amplifier are you using?

I do have a demo set of P11eN to go out the door, shipping to Oz thou would likely wipe out the price advantage.

dave

1st note: The P7 has the potential to go lower than any other current MA driver except the A12pw (and historically the A10.2)

What sort of difference in F6 are we talking about here? I've been happy with the integration of the current speakers, which play with reasonable authority into the 40's, crossed at 80Hz. Crossing at 60Hz compromises the maximum system volume too much - it sounds good at modest volume but too much enthusiasm sees cone excursion outside its happy range.

So that's kinda my goal, to be able to cross at 60Hz comfortably.

The A11ms is considerably better sonically than the P11.

Well, that answers the question! The price difference is only about $10USD per driver, a drop in the bucket compared to either the total driver price or the price of decent plywood in these parts...

What kind of amplifier are you using?

Primary usage will be with a class-D home cinema receiver.

I do have a demo set of P11eN to go out the door, shipping to Oz thou would likely wipe out the price advantage.

Yeah, we have a local distributor who has the Pluvias and Alpair MSs in stock, and the AUD is in a rough spot right now vs USD so local is almost definitely cheaper.