New Markaudio Drivers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have 2 P7PHD's side by side in a vented box; (the PE 0.56 ft^3 box, or about 16 L). These are in shared space with about 2/3 fill. Tuning is WAY lower than one would normally do; high 30's but I have my reasons for this. Without any bass EQ, f3 is in the mid to upper 50's; adding 2 to 4 dB from the "bass" control (40 or 50 Hz "boost") helps. This is being powered by a 25 Watt class-D amp. I have some super tweeters for 7KHz and above. This is an experimental system for office use mostly for streaming (YouTube, etc.). (the drivers are just above the laptop screen so this is a very close/near-field application). I must say; YouTube NEVER sounded so good! (I have also played HQ DVD's and CD's through the laptop since obviously streaming audio has a lot of short comings). The P7PHD does things VERY well indeed! I would say these sound as good as ANY wide-band, mid-range or full-range as I have EVER heard; REGARDLESS of price range! No exaggeration at all. I think the new voice coil probably has a lot to do with this. I would love to know how others are using these. I think I will eventually try a tall, slim tower with twin 7 or 8 in. woofers (Satori???), twin P7PHD's and a super tweeter in a DUAL D'Appolito configuration; all time aligned. I think I might try to use the Pluvias with their own custom sub-enclosures but open-back to the the tower cabinet. (I am a firm believer in avoiding standing waves so ALL of the boxes or sub-enclosures I build myself have ZERO parallel surfaces; 5 sided is a favorite of mine.)

The best part about being retired is I have all the time in the world to play around with various design ideas; some conventional; some NOT!...Cheers!

Break-in period now greater than 200 hours. Seriously; every speaker design person on the planet should try the Pluvia 7PHD at least ONCE! I am getting bass below 40 Hz but it sounds very real even though my alignment is way less than ideal. No bass boost required once above about 10 to 15 Watts; room gain of course plays a HUGE role here. Bass, mid-bass, low-mids, upper-mids...it's ALL here; just need a sub-woofer and super-tweeter. Do NOT pass these up! Retired Engineer and Musician; these guys are for VERY real!!!

Break-in period now greater than 200 hours. Seriously; every speaker design person on the planet should try the Pluvia 7PHD at least ONCE! I am getting bass below 40 Hz but it sounds very real even though my alignment is way less than ideal. No bass boost required once above about 10 to 15 Watts; room gain of course plays a HUGE role here. Bass, mid-bass, low-mids, upper-mids...it's ALL here; just need a sub-woofer and super-tweeter. Do NOT pass these up! Retired Engineer and Musician; these guys are for VERY real!!!

Now why do you have to plant that seed?

Because of the greater width that leads to some sqat boxes, but for HT, Pensil or FHXL might be a better choice, and there the box dominates as far as bass. I do very much like the SeaStack we built.

The A11ms is considerably better sonically than the P11. Both fit in similar size box — like the CHR optimum miniOnken is 9 litre.

I have a modest preference for "bookshelf" (benchtop?) designs because, to accommodate the previous dCHR-Kens, I bought a really wide TV cabinet. So I have rather a lot of room on which to put speakers - on the order of 50cm either side of the TV.

On the other hand, as I find myself unexpectedly single, WAF is a non-issue right now and I'm sure I can find a way to accomodate a pair of floorstanding speakers just fine....maybe I can even position them optimally ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… the previous dCHR-Kens...

The CHRs, A7/7.3 are optimum in the 9 litre deciSize boxes, but some of the newer drivers are pushing back to or towards the primeSize (13 litre) boxes. I may need to do an 11 litre one as well. And as in the past, the drivers that are optimum in a larger box can (usually) be put into the smaller ones.

As i move out of doing hardware i will be doing more design & drawing work both for the miniOnkens and the Woden boxes. And a greater selection of WAW designs.

If there is something specific needed by you email me directly and i can push it to the top.

The new Pluvias, and Alpair monoSuspensions have considerably lengthen the queue.

dave

If there is something specific needed by you email me directly and i can push it to the top.

Just trying to settle on a system design at the moment, but I'll definitely be in touch at some stage soon.

So, playing with a box calculator for some VERY rough numbers, it looks to me like a 13L A11MS box gets nearly the same extension (give or take 2Hz) as the old dCHR-Ken70's but about 3dB more efficiently and about 6dB louder within safe margins.

With a 4th order butterworth HP at 60Hz it's still power-limited to that same SPL, but it can peak up to 13dB louder while remaining within Xmax.

One spanner in the works is the space I have intended for a centre channel - it only permits an enclosure up to 175mm high, which makes it physically difficult to fit an A11 MS (158mm diameter at the faceplate and 144mm at the basket) without compromising on material thickness and relief around the driver.

Options that I see for dealing with that:
1) Skip the centre speaker. I've been happy with this arrangement until now, and it does save several hundred dollars...
2) Slim down to 12mm ply knowing it will never see that much bass content anyway
3) Use a 70mm driver...but that limits system volume in HT applications because most content ends up on the centre
4) Ignore the centre-channel hole in my TV cabinet and put it somewhere else
5) Build an enclosure where a larger cross-section protrudes forward of the cabinet - this sounds like a pain to build but I kinda like the idea

The modeling i did puts it into 9 litres for an optimal Mar-Ken, but the alignment does tend towards smaller boxes

Hmm....quick fiddle shows that does change things quite a bit for running full-range, but only really changes the response with a 60Hz HP by around...maybe 2dB, which seems fine.
(I'm still keen to push the crossover frequency down from 80Hz to 60Hz because, frankly, my current subwoofer is garbage. I'd like to keep its mush as far down as is practical)

Still, it'd be nice to have them play with some authority when full-range, so perhaps I should be looking at the bigger boxen.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...perhaps I should be looking at the bigger boxen.

Pensil, FHXL, SeaStack, Brodgar where the box dominates. It should be noted that in a BR the A11ms has less potential bass than the smaller A7ms. Without the load provided by a horn or TL i would not try to puxh them too low. Upper bass (where the bas people typically consider as bass).

dave

The CHRs, A7/7.3 are optimum in the 9 litre deciSize boxes, but some of the newer drivers are pushing back to or towards the primeSize (13 litre) boxes. I may need to do an 11 litre one as well. And as in the past, the drivers that are optimum in a larger box can (usually) be put into the smaller ones.

As i move out of doing hardware i will be doing more design & drawing work both for the miniOnkens and the Woden boxes. And a greater selection of WAW designs.

The new Pluvias, and Alpair monoSuspensions have considerably lengthen the queue.

dave

What's the best way to contact you, Dave? I dropped you an email through your site a couple of days ago but I'm not sure if that's an email address you're still using

Mk2 Pluvia11 side surrounds

With spare time on my hands due to the current lockdown situation, I’ve started making a Mk2 model of my Pluvia11 side surrounds.

Attachments

• 2F302DB3-2003-4148-A84D-59A278E62497.jpg
    2F302DB3-2003-4148-A84D-59A278E62497.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 321
  • EF6FA091-EA7D-405C-8C21-6B13249FB13B.jpg
    EF6FA091-EA7D-405C-8C21-6B13249FB13B.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 316
  • BA110CDC-1C8A-4394-B518-2D617C456DFE.jpeg
    BA110CDC-1C8A-4394-B518-2D617C456DFE.jpeg
    587.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 07C277F4-3E6E-440B-B12F-C544999A088A.jpg
    07C277F4-3E6E-440B-B12F-C544999A088A.jpg