New Markaudio Drivers

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
My Experimental Pluvia 7PHD Configuration

Has anyone got any subjective views on the new Pluvia's yet?

There is an interesting review on Madisound for the paper 7PHD.

"FIVE FULL STARS
Strait out of the box these drivers sound "almost perfect"! Well, they do everything right and nothing wrong that I can perceive so far. I have also a pair of Alpair 7P and a pair of Alpair 7 MS. These new drivers take the realism to a whole new level; very musically accurate, neutral and natural without any hint of harshness, peaking, ringing, etc. On Diana Krall; voice and piano are "almost magic"; not an easy thing to do at all. Piano fades seem to go on and on; something I never noticed before on any speakers regardless of cost. These drivers are very well tonally balanced all across the entire spectrum; including surprisingly good bass! I have these in a closed box, about 7.9 L with 100% stuffing; Q calculates to about 0.677 when using the OEM T-S specs. rounded to the nearest "tenth" (0.1). After they break in for at least 100 hours, I will add a woofer or sub-woofer and a super-tweeter.

FIVE FULL STARS (worth six actually especially considering how inexpensive they are)"

I have 2 P7PHD's side by side in a vented box; (the PE 0.56 ft^3 box, or about 16 L). These are in shared space with about 2/3 fill. Tuning is WAY lower than one would normally do; high 30's but I have my reasons for this. Without any bass EQ, f3 is in the mid to upper 50's; adding 2 to 4 dB from the "bass" control (40 or 50 Hz "boost") helps. This is being powered by a 25 Watt class-D amp. I have some super tweeters for 7KHz and above. This is an experimental system for office use mostly for streaming (YouTube, etc.). (the drivers are just above the laptop screen so this is a very close/near-field application). I must say; YouTube NEVER sounded so good! (I have also played HQ DVD's and CD's through the laptop since obviously streaming audio has a lot of short comings). The P7PHD does things VERY well indeed! I would say these sound as good as ANY wide-band, mid-range or full-range as I have EVER heard; REGARDLESS of price range! No exaggeration at all. I think the new voice coil probably has a lot to do with this. I would love to know how others are using these. I think I will eventually try a tall, slim tower with twin 7 or 8 in. woofers (Satori???), twin P7PHD's and a super tweeter in a DUAL D'Appolito configuration; all time aligned. I think I might try to use the Pluvias with their own custom sub-enclosures but open-back to the the tower cabinet. (I am a firm believer in avoiding standing waves so ALL of the boxes or sub-enclosures I build myself have ZERO parallel surfaces; 5 sided is a favorite of mine.)

The best part about being retired is I have all the time in the world to play around with various design ideas; some conventional; some NOT!...Cheers!

The P7PHD does things VERY well indeed!
I agree. I put one each in a 11 or 12.x Litre ported enclosure (I forget the size I made) and have nothing but good to say so far. I have Peerless compression drivers on B&C 5" horns, 4.9uF with L-pads for crossover. Also have some 20mH inductors for the P7PHD's to connect but have not done so nor have I time aligned yet.
I have to get back to them to continue the adjusting / tuning but so far just sit and listen in wonderment.

Hi all, I’m planning on trying “bowls” as enclosures for my Pluvia 11 side surround speakers, as they are wall mounted, I think the bowl shape will work nicely.

I can’t find wood/bamboo bowls large enough, I need 5.5 litres, but I can source 6 litre stainless steel bowls cheaply. My idea is to attach a ply/mdf baffle/back panel & reinforce/damp the bowl itself.

I’d welcome thoughts & any advice on reinforcing/damping the bowl?

Many thanks
Jason

Ah sorry....I thought the larger ones were a decent size. I guess the spherical nature looses you a lot of volume over a similar sized rectangular box.

I have seen people add a 'band' between the bowls as a spacer to add volume. Looses the aesthetic imho

If I were using two bowls per speaker, to make a sphere, they would be big enough, the problem is, I only want to use on bowl per speaker, with the driver mounted in what would be the flat bottom of the bowl & the wider, open side of the bowl (blanked off) back against the wall.

I’ll probably just give it a go with the stainless bowls, I can’t go to work due to the lockdown so it’ll keep me busy (along with all the other speakers that I’ve never quite finished off:rolleyes:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ah sorry....I thought the larger ones were a decent size.

Without looking for my drawings, given the drivers i 1st put in them, likely a maximum of 9 litres.

I have seen people add a 'band' between the bowls as a spacer to add volume.

The band allows you to actual make something closer to a sphere since the bowls are just a bit shallow to be a full hemisphere. And makes it easier to deal with bowls that are rarely exactly the same.

I embed the miniOnken slot vents into the band. The only one i have finished the drawings for are a smaller one for the Alpair 5.2/3.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Done for a fellow in Italy, i have not yet seen pics of the finished project. He did different legs (a 3-legged, tripod-like thing).

blanda-uMK52-extents.png

I 1st had initial sketches for the largest bowls using the CHR70 and then the A7.3. Those not fully developed (yet).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Same size and same curout as the CHR70 so much of the work on that one sits awaiting completion.

The CHP has about 5 dB less shelf above 5k but is otherwise similar. Have you listened and formed an opinion? If you find you feel they could use a bit more top, then teh CHBW would probably be the better choice with a tiny tweeter mounted on a pod as close as you can get. I have some small ones, and some even smaller ones (a couple kinds). Scott has some experience with both of these crossed to a tweeter i believe.

dave