New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But at half the price? Would two beat an 12PW?

Don't know. Certainly move more air. Haven’t seen a US retail, but if the sketchy info i have is a clue, you might be able to but 4 for the price of A12pw. In early discussion swith Scott box sizes will be similar to A12pw, which means that multiples would need much bigger boxes. Better drive train, basket, and paper cone, more attention to detail likely make the A12pw better sonically, but there is a lot to be said for more cone area. Quality vrs quantity?

A12pw is a very unappreciated driver.

dave

Hi Xaborus, for the price of the CHN110, you just can’t go wrong, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality in the hand when I unboxed them.
I’m only using mine for surround back channels, so I can’t really give critical feedback on the sound quality, other than I’m very happy with them. Mine are situated in the rear corners of the room, in sealed cabinets, Audyssey found the -3db point to be at 60hz.

Attachments

• 4FB79FD7-74AF-4521-B33E-667BFDBC1A6C.jpeg
    4FB79FD7-74AF-4521-B33E-667BFDBC1A6C.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 397
Thanks Jason! I think I might pull the trigger... The price makes it totally worth an experiment.

3000 cubic inches (1.74 cubic feet, 48.2 liters) gives some really interesting modeling.

Tuning to 32hz gives us 32hz as a -3dB, and -6db of 27hz. Port length is 1.5" diameter by 1.6" long.

Tuning to 23hz gives us a -9dB of 20hz with a -3dB of 70hz. Port length is 1.5" diameter by 4" long.

A gaping 1.5" hole in an .75" thick enclosure tunes it to 38hz, with a -3dB of 34hz.

It should be fun to play with!

With all designs, Xmax is protected down to 1hz up to 3 Watts. Should be great for my SET amp!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
48.2 liters gives some really interesting modeling.
...Tuning to 32hz
… Tuning to 23hz
...tunes it to 38hz…
Should be great for my SET amp!

attachment.php

Those alignments all look pretty ugly. And the lower you tune the worse the impedance peak becomes, tha will affect the performanc eof a highish output SET amplifier.

I have choosen 30 litre for the mniOnken for these. miniOnkens tend to be smaller than typical BR (due to the highR vents), but in this case, maybe not.

30 litres @ 40 Hz looks OK, if one has some room gain up higher (often the case in UK homes).

dave

Attachments

• CHN-110-overlarge--algnment.png
    CHN-110-overlarge--algnment.png
    28 KB · Views: 1,331
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BSC is a can of worms. Increasing the on-axis towards flat, automatically increase th etotal room response above flat.

Room, placement, taste, and amplfier all play a role. Re the last, if the amplifier has highish output impedance then the resonance peak wll cause. arise in FR at and near those frequencies.

I rarely use any at all.

I like wde baffles, but often room & WAF mean they are off the table.

These are what i will be bringing upstairs to use once i get my “B4” active XO from the diyAudio store. A WAW where the wide baffle allows me to XO at 180 Hz. Chris’ room. The A7.3eN wll be replaced by the A7mSeN.

Ellipsa-1st-veneered.jpg

dave

dave

Thanks again Planet!

WinISD is giving me me ~20L @ 43Hz for a SSB4 Alignment, which is is supposed to have the best impulse characteristic. Let me know how it looks in your sim program.

Nice equal twin peaks on the impedance chart too. -6dB is 39hz. That's the best alignment I can find for ported sound quality.

I've done a bunch of boxes for the CHN. A few (in very rough sketch form) are on Madisound: Markaudio CHN110-Silver 6.75" Full Range -Dave's done proper drawings of them which unfortunately were not released. There is also a DCR, a pensil, and a Nessie type twin pipe (the latter for those who like that sort of thing). So I'll do it here. And elsewhere.

Attachments

• CHN110-Vented and ML-Horn plans-141119.pdf
    147.3 KB · Views: 91
  • PensilCHN110-141119.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 93
  • CHN-110 double chamber reflex.PNG
    CHN-110 double chamber reflex.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 596
  • CHN-110 twin-pipe.PNG
    CHN-110 twin-pipe.PNG
    412.9 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We may see some more MA woofers, the A12pw is underappreciated so low sales might dictate some of that.

As Mr Timbre points out, there is a huge number of traditional midBasses out there that can be used in WAW, and one rarely has to worry about where they are often worst (up around the XO to a dome).

Scott & I are working together on some new WAW, the 1st is a compact, versatile, A12pw based unit with A5.2/3, A7.3, P7HD, and A10p so far as midTweeter options. The A7ms will likely be added to that. So far it is up to 24 pages, and there are still probably a dozen more to add, as well as some work to tidy up the existing.

dave