XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

you could ask XRK971 for a punchy alignment in akabak with the little Eminence 8 specs

Def_Driver ‘Parts Express 290-4007’ | Eminence 8 inch Buyout woofer, 5.1mm xmax
Sd=214.2cm2
Fs=37Hz
Mms=22.3g
Qms=8.34
Qes=0.34
Re=5.19ohm
Le=0.87mH
Vas=53.525L

Or if you have Windows, get David McBean's wonderful hornresp program and make estimates as a series bandpass. I would do that for you if I still had access to hornresp.

You could probably make a decent guesstimate treating it as a bass reflex but shortening the vent somewhat as the front aperture acts partly as the vent.

Using an online reflex calculator that 8 inch Eminence should do 50Hz in 25 liters so one cubic foot is enough for the rear chamber and driver. The front chamber's volum might be chosen to be 1/3 that of the rear chamber. The vent's area needs to be made larger than in the example below. There should be online vent calculators for a given volume and Fb.

XRK971's original Beta8cx XKi is probably pretty close to what you could use

BiGjMj1.png

Last edited:
hey X - - regarding your suggestions of an XKi for my P-Audio SN10C does this sketch look close enough?

The suggestion was 12"x12"x16" internal

I think there's about 23 liters in the rear chamber after driver displacement so a bit undersized vs 25.5 liter. The front is about right.'

How far would you gap the front edge of the vent to the inside of the aperture?

bbhxdvH.jpg

Finally completed my little K5 cabs modified to add an XKi style duct feeding the shelf vent already in the cabs. The drivers are PA130-8s fed from a 50w x2 Chinese Bluetooth amp. I am sitting here listening to Amy Levere who accompanies herself with a contra bass. The bass is incredible for a 5" speaker in a small cab. Evaluation is subjective as I don't have windows or test software.

The only short screws I had on hand were ¾" flat head #4, not the best for easy driving or removal. I will pick up some ¾" Phiilips or square drive pan head #6 so that I can easily remove the rear panels for padding experimentation. I only lined the speaker chamber with felt (laminate floor underlay)for starters.

I tried to make my "sketch" of a 10 inch driver XKi more legible.

What do you think of the vent and front chamber shape? - it was suggested years back by XRK971 to use an 8 inch long vent for Delta10A. I might want to use this cabinet with the 10" "pro" Tymphany driver.

Besides the front chamber and vent, how would you do the taper panels and their starting gap?

With half inch material it should be about 13"x13"x17" tall

Attachments

• Tymphsny 10 K fix 4 web1.jpg
    Tymphsny 10 K fix 4 web1.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 224
Freddi, I played your Steve Clarke link through my K5/XKi PA130 hybrids and it sounded pretty good. I am going to have to do some additional felt lining to reduce tunnel sound on some vocal passages.

Your proposed 10" cab makes for a neat sized cab, is it for guitar?

If I decide to modify my K8 (scaled from K12) I wonder if blocking the horizontal vent and adding a 2" PVC pipe duct would work . . . the cab is smaller so the PVC would have to have a downspout but that down section length could be an experiment . . . and maybe a K slot.

Last edited:

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I had a listening session halfway through painting. The speakers have awesome bang and clarity for the buck. Here driven by B1K + ACA. I was surprised how well defined and low they get.

My woodworking skills have become better but need improvement. I had to do everything by hand without table saw.

I thought a report was in order for a thank you for a rewarding project.
Som pics in progress.

Attachments

• W5-2143 XKi listening session.png
    W5-2143 XKi listening session.png
    742.1 KB · Views: 221
  • W5-2143 XKi inside.png
    W5-2143 XKi inside.png
    766.8 KB · Views: 218
  • W5-2143 XKi in progress.png
    W5-2143 XKi in progress.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 220
  • W5-2143 XKi behind front.png
    W5-2143 XKi behind front.png
    569 KB · Views: 216
sov. that's a beautiful build - good idea for damping material placement in the upper rear cavity too.

- did you have a powered circular saw? - - or literally a hand saw?

EddieT - yeah with Delta10A that should make a pretty good little bass cabinet. Would it help to more the "reflector" forwards on the shelf vent? (like in standard XKi builds such as sov's)

I'm liquidating all of my toys to try to survive month to month and hope sometime to get some hernia repaired.. - got one Kramer bass I'd like to keep.

There's also this "rock n' roll" bass :)

https://i.imgur.com/sqpPJHF.jpg

Last edited: