Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Thanks Dave! That is very helpful! People seem to be using a variety of amps with these, don't they? Honestly, I'm a bit surprised how people seem so happy driving them with such low-power amps as well, considering that the efficiency of these drivers is not terribly high. If not terribly low either. I don't listen at very high levels, and presume even a few watts would generally produce more than adequate sound levels. I have been more worried about the capability of the amp to handle dynamics.

That ACA amp is totally new to me, but looks very interesting! Thank you for the tip! I think I will make myself a pot of coffee and start reading through the thread. =)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It turns out that it is not so much how much rated power an amp has, but how well it recovers from clipping, and how it interacts with the impedance of the speaker. Since FHXL has a benign impedance amps are not overlly stressed.

I have a big room, and the nominal 5W ACA i borrowed from Chris really impress. They seem to have way more power then they are rated at. I can push them into audiable clipping but at levels that are typically higher than i listen to. The new ones will have the higher voltage PS bricks for more power, i’ll have 4 channels to either beam, or if i can get balanced out of my preamp (more likely change preamps) thay can be used mono at 2x the power.

dave

I can push them into audiable clipping but at levels that are typically higher than i listen to. The new ones will have the higher voltage PS bricks for more power, i’ll have 4 channels to either beam, or if i can get balanced out of my preamp (more likely change preamps) thay can be used mono at 2x the power.

You are not the only one saying that the amps seem to sound like they carry more power than they actually do. This solution has certainly caught my attention, they seem very well regarded. Do you know any more information about the new amps coming available?

Toby - I did some brief comparison listening a year or so ago between A10.3 and Fostex FF165WK, and the latter have a slight edge in sensitivity, but the Alpairs definitely have more extended LF response.

As for plans for CNC work - I think Dave may have already produced DXF - and if not I can probably do that as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I get asked this alot so i will just attach the boilerplate answer.

dave

<boilerplate>
DXF or DWG files are easily exported from the CAD software, native format is Vectorworks. I need to know the page of the PDF you need, and the version of DXF/DWG that can be handled. (i do have a collection of already exported)

It should be noted that a CNC is only really useful for the sides and the driver rebate. Unless the CNC is 5-axis, you will still need to pass all the internal pieces thru a table saw -- it is quicker & easier to just do them all on a table saw. You could rough cut the other pieces but they still need to go thru a table saw to angle the ends.

The drawings all assume a 5 mm kerf, so the CNC operator would need to adjust for the larger kerf needed for CNC work. You/they will need to adjust for actual wood thickness as well.
</boilerplate>

I finished my FHXL this past weekend and even though the curved back and front of the sides was cut freehand :yikes: with a jigsaw the FHXL with A10pen speakers sound amazing. As others have said, the amount of bass produced is amazing.

It is the first time in my stereo system that each instrument could be heard very cleanly and separately.

I put the required amount of stuffing between the back panel and interior panel but did not put any stuffing behind the speakers which the instructions say are optional?

In my man-cave, the speakers sound good at 18 inches from the wall. If I move them closer, it appears the bass lessens and the treble/upper frequencies don't sound as good. This sound leaves the music maybe a bit bass heavy so I need to experiment some more.

Thanks Scottmoose, Planet10, ChrisB for working on the FHXL design. it is easily the best pair of speakers I have heard in awhile.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And what speakers are currently considered best for low power OTL Valve amps please !!

Typically you are ahead with higher imnpedance speakers to have an OTL shine. None of the usual candidates satisfy those requirements. Few drivers are available 16Ω and higher.

One could maybe series connect a pair of drivers to get 16 ohms, but then you might have issues with combing. A stacked FHXL could fill the bill.

Or look to some of the more exotic speakers… likely stretch the budget, and i’d have to get Scott to sim to see if the’d work… AF-1.5 - Voxativ Store. On the face of it, looks like they could benefit from a higher output impedance amplifier.

dave