Rohde Schwarz R&S UPL Audio Analyzer Renovation

A new problem UPL

Gentlemen Techs,

I just have received a cosmetically good later UPL, the unit powers on, the fan and LCD come on, but it’s an empty WHITE SCREEN. No boot, no beep, nothing. There is a burned connector in the middle of the PS Board. Has anyone removed the PS Board to check fuses (9) and regulators (10) and cap ESR of the many 24 yr old caps on the main filters before and after the various Voltage refs on the heat sink?

Suggestions on what to do and not to do first!

I suspect the +5 is out, but there are so many voltages, it’s gonna be a tough dog!

Thanks,

Steven

Attachments

• 49EC5BAB-2E94-4315-A9DD-4C5ADF3DE4CC.jpg
    49EC5BAB-2E94-4315-A9DD-4C5ADF3DE4CC.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Hello Steven ,
I had a similar problem in my UPL many years ago . By using it , there was smoke on the left side of the unit . The 5V/5A fuse holder was desoldered and the pcb was burned .
I installed a new , better and stronger fuse holder and resolder parts in the power supply and the UPL is still working .
Kind regards , Alexander .

It seems that the burns here are at the two ground wires, yes this set is full of boards, but no other items seem burned (at this point).

Steven

I would start with checking the power board for any anomalies (fuses or rectifiers that are damaged or loose) and any regulators that are getting too hot.

Replace all questionable components and make sure you get your stable voltage rails and start from there.

If things still get hot, unplug the PC, hdd, analog board and build your way up.

I would start with checking the power board for any anomalies (fuses or rectifiers that are damaged or loose) and any regulators that are getting too hot.

Replace all questionable components and make sure you get your stable voltage rails and start from there.

If things still get hot, unplug the PC, hdd, analog board and build your way up.

Unplugging the hdd is a good start as you should always see the bios screens. Additionally check with an external VGA monitor for any activity.

First of all, thanks to Bart, I have installed win98 on my device and it is running successfully with your configuration(autoexec.bat config.sys system.ini uplset.bat upl.bat .pif .ico).
Now there is a problem, sometimes after the machine restarts, there will be a registry error prompt, 98 system registry need to be restored. I can only after 98 recovery, with the boot disk boot, and then run on the floppy disk 98update.bat.,the upl can run on win98 normaiiy again.
The trouble happened several times in a few hours.
My hardware configuration is as follow: TMC AI5VG+ VER2.0 , 128M SDRAM(Kingmax 16ic doubleside), k6-2+ (running 100mhzX3 ) , 2G SSD, DOS and win98se double _boot.
I would like to discuss: This is the 98 system instability? Or is it caused by our modified configuration file?」
Best Regards.
CSKG

Steven if your UPL is like the UPD, somewhere in Ch 4 troubleshooting
that R&S Doesn't include to the general public, it states the battery in the
black container that is wire wrapped and velcrowed to the chassis, if it is dead,
the unit will not start up.

Find, open the case, order a new battery of the type listed.
It might help. Or this from the UPL Manual, lte it run up
for four hours if the battery died (i.e. no run up).
After you fix the burned out connector.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Fault Doesn't Run UP.JPG
    Fault Doesn't Run UP.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 132
  • UPL State Change.JPG
    UPL State Change.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
First of all, thanks to Bart, I have installed win98 on my device and it is running successfully with your configuration(autoexec.bat config.sys system.ini uplset.bat upl.bat .pif .ico).
Now there is a problem, sometimes after the machine restarts, there will be a registry error prompt, 98 system registry need to be restored. I can only after 98 recovery, with the boot disk boot, and then run on the floppy disk 98update.bat.,the upl can run on win98 normaiiy again.
The trouble happened several times in a few hours.
My hardware configuration is as follow: TMC AI5VG+ VER2.0 , 128M SDRAM(Kingmax 16ic doubleside), k6-2+ (running 100mhzX3 ) , 2G SSD, DOS and win98se double _boot.
I would like to discuss: This is the 98 system instability? Or is it caused by our modified configuration file?」
Best Regards.
CSKG

Hi CSKG,

Thanks!

I never tried that setup on the older type of motherboards. But not sure if that is the problem

Did you install windows 98se yourself or did you use an image from me?

There is an image on my drive from February which is the latest image of my working unit.

Cheers,

Bart

Hi,Bart
My win98se is freshly installed. via copying the win98se setup files to the ssd C:\WIN98SE(c: dos6.22 and upl software already installed),then run SETUP. If SSD is used, after the win98 setup first reboot ,must be use win98 boot floppy disk boot system ,then type:SYS A:C:,after the above operations ,the win98 system installation can be completed.
In win98se system ,run floppy disc :upl 3.06 1 and 2,then use win98 boot floppy disk(your win98updated files already copyed to this fdd a:\) boot system ,then type:updupdated.bat. reboot,ok!
I can use UPL in win98 now .
Upper mem :total 196.544k used 32.704k free 163.840k . (B10 NOT INSTALLED,I DON’T have any options installkey ).
The confusion is that the upl run in win98 system seems instability.
Best Regads.
CSKG

Hi,Bart
My win98se is freshly installed. via copying the win98se setup files to the ssd C:\WIN98SE(c: dos6.22 and upl software already installed),then run SETUP. If SSD is used, after the win98 setup first reboot ,must be use win98 boot floppy disk boot system ,then type:SYS A:C:,after the above operations ,the win98 system installation can be completed.
In win98se system ,run floppy disc :upl 3.06 1 and 2,then use win98 boot floppy disk(your win98updated files already copyed to this fdd a:\) boot system ,then type:updupdated.bat. reboot,ok!
I can use UPL in win98 now .
Upper mem :total 196.544k used 32.704k free 163.840k . (B10 NOT INSTALLED,I DON’T have any options installkey ).
The confusion is that the upl run in win98 system seems instability.
Best Regads.
CSKG

Hi CSKG,

Could you try using one of my images? just want to rule out a bad windows install. You can use paragon to flash the image on the cf card and then restoring the mbr like you mentioned with sys c:

I’ll set up a test with your type of motherboard over the weekend to judge instability.

Kind regards,
Bart

Hi,Bart,
Yesterday i mod the autoexec.bat and config.sys,Since then ,the system seems to be very stable.
Autoexec.bat :
delete<mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb be>
Config.sys:
delete<Country=032,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys>
May be mod to <keyb us> <country 001,850>,it also will work.I didn't try.
Kind regards,
CSKG

Hello ,
yesterday I got an UPL and a scope from a friend . The UPL is in very good optical condition but channel one is not working in the correct way . Signal is distorted and fluctuating . Input relay with bad contact ??? and which is the right one , K3 ? On the analog/analyser pcb are no designations for the parts .

Attachments

• upl scope 1.jpg
    upl scope 1.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Hello ,
yesterday I got an UPL and a scope from a friend . The UPL is in very good optical condition but channel one is not working in the correct way . Signal is distorted and fluctuating . Input relay with bad contact ??? and which is the right one , K3 ? On the analog/analyser pcb are no designations for the parts .

Hi Alexander,

First thing i would check is the selftest, if you are able to run it, it requires the B10 option.

Perhaps there you could find more clues to what search next.

Kind Regards,

Bart

Hello Bart ,
thank you for your answer , but the UPL made a selfrepair :D . Very important is , to resolder the fuse holder from the 5V / 5A fuse . I had smoke from my older UPL and it was the fuse on the pcb .
I measured channel one with the Victor 1khz generator and channel two with the UPL .
Kind reards , Alexander .

Attachments

• fuse1.jpg
    fuse1.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 252
  • fuse2.jpg
    fuse2.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 248
  • upl victor1.jpg
    upl victor1.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 245