Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Here is my experience: I use a very simple power supply for my Vicnic's oscillator: a Zener-based 40VDC pre-regulator and LM317 (LM317HV) 35V regulator. This one is for long-time tests.
And a second one: a batteries-powered (4x9V + 100R potenc.) for ultimate shot-time tests.
Both work similarly, I can't find a significant difference.
(And as I remember Vicnic itself told the same - there is no need in a very sophisticated power supply for this oscillator). (It was said by him a couple of years ago or earlier).

Last edited:
So SilentSwitcher can be configured for different needs, I have a circuit board for Victor's generator that I bought a couple of years ago it has been left unused because I did not want to use a bunch of PP9 as div source, you say that SilentSwitcher configured as SuperSwitcher has high enough voltage for Vicktor's generator, then I want to buy a Switcher if it comes with a description for the modification to higher voltage.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no SuperSwitcher. Confusion: there is a silentswitcher and a fully linear superregulator.

The silentswitcher can run a Vic oscillator as is +/-15V, but you must remove the two series and two shunt regs on the osc boards.

As example of the SS performance, here it is powering a balanced 18dB gain stage in my autoranger. You see any mains or HF noise? ;-)

Jan

Attachments

• opa1656 18dB.PNG
    opa1656 18dB.PNG
    86.4 KB · Views: 321
So SilentSwitcher can be configured for different needs, I have a circuit board for Victor's generator that I bought a couple of years ago it has been left unused because I did not want to use a bunch of PP9 as div source, you say that SilentSwitcher configured as SuperSwitcher has high enough voltage for Vicktor's generator, then I want to buy a Switcher if it comes with a description for the modification to higher voltage.

The idea is to connect +-15V SilentSwitcher directly to +-15V on Victor's board bypassing the TL431 regulators. So no need for 35V supply. You should probably remove the TL431s and the related resistors if you do something like this.

Jan beat me, sorry for double posting. Needless to say you could of course use any linear low noise +-15V power supply as well.

Last edited:
Jan, now I see that Victor's oscillator is powered by +/- 15V, I have not even opened the package with circuit boards and information, I work with electronics service on everything between heaven and earth and have very little time for DIY which I like to do , I googled the circuit and now see that your SS will work without major changes.

Whether you use a bunch of 9 VDC dry cells and a current regulator or Jan's more elegant solution, the big thing is the isolation from the AC mains. The SilentSwitcher has the distinct advantage of being able to use commonly available 5 VDC battery supplies you might have around the house to keep your phone charged. If you don't have such a supply, they're pretty cheap and you almost definitely already have a suitable charger for it.