Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Code:
Bob-
FWIW attached are the schematics of the Boonton 1120 (21, 10) source board. its a state variable oscillator with a very precise leveling loop as you suggest. It uses analog multipliers for both level and frequency trim. There is a Z80 and a TXCO for measuring the frequency and a DAC for the fine tuning.

Its an older design and shows some of the limitations from the 1980's when it was designed. There are a number of limitations but still had great potential. Biggest issues are the analog multipliers. need to find better ones that can be retrofitted. Then the nonlineatity of the Jfets. Early 1120's used a PN4391 with 30 Ohms RDS. Later use a J108 with a lower RDS and the distortion contribution is clearly lower.

I just did some measurements on some J108's as switches. With a 4.7K resistor to source and a 600 Ohm 3V source I get about .1% 2nd @ 20 mV across the fets. Lower Rds on (ranges from 4 to 5 Ohms on the samples I'm testing) correlates with lower distortion. If used with a 5K resistor the nonlinearity should be attenuated by 60 dB or below -120 dB. Still selecting will be important.

Thanks Demian,

Interesting observations. BTW, a long time ago when I did my THD analyzer I looked carefully for the best JFETs to use, and learned that JFETs with high threshold voltage and low Rds-on were the winners. I ended up choosing the 4091, which was even better than the 4391. I have not tried lately, but have been under the impression that for quite some time the 4091's are or have been more difficult to find than the 4391's. There is some overlap in the specs between the two, so some batches of 4391's may be as good as 4091's.

A key concern that I often have is that, while reducing the signal voltage across the JFET significantly reduces distortion that it may introduce, that reduction can end up increasing the oscillator noise by increasing the amount of noise injected into the oscillator by the agc correction signal for a given amount of available agc control range. It is critical that any amplifying circuitry following the JFET in the path to injection into the oscillator loop have very low noise. This fits in with the desire to have the JFET operating at a relatively low value of resistance.

This is where a fixed-frequency oscillator that is optimized for just that frequency has a big advantage. For one thing, the components can be optimized and precise for that one frequency, significantly reducing the amount of agc range needed. An oscillator that must cover a decade generally will need significantly more agc range because needed agc correction can be frequency dependent for many reasons.

Cheers,
Bob

Why should the OSC become a VCO? The risk is almost 100% that the THD will get worse.
Granted that distortion may worsen, but the incentive is to to have a drift-free oscillator, preferably synchronized to a FFT bin, to facilitate lengthy averaging and noise floor reduction. This notion seems to be a recurring wish in this thread.

In earlier posts Victor indicated that his oscillator distortion was not dominated by ALC distortion, but rather other subtle mechanisms. It is hoped that VCO tuning distortion will also be negligible relative to other phenomena.

Why should the OSC become a VCO? The risk is almost 100% that the THD will get worse.
That's also true with the injection locking syncing that has been described in this thread (I presume the sync signal itself is a sine of as low distortion as practical). As BSST said, the hope is that one of these methods can lock the oscillator to a quartz-stable source with as little increase in distortion as possible.

That's also true with the injection locking syncing that has been described in this thread (I presume the sync signal itself is a sine of as low distortion as practical). As BSST said, the hope is that one of these methods can lock the oscillator to a quartz-stable source with as little increase in distortion as possible.

Here was the simplest method suggested. I got excellent results using the two op-amp (no common-mode) version of the Christmas light oscillator. Don't know if this can work here.

Injection-Lock a Wien-Bridge Oscillator | Analog Devices

...To avoid the interaction of filter gain with frequency, consider three identical couplers paralleled with R29, R20, and R21. Now that same coupler control current will raise the oscillator frequency a full 1% and filter gain will be unchanged...
Steve

Probably these optocouplers are enough for to control the frequency and also the gain. No need to use the FET else. Proportion between the optocouplers can control the gain. Two control channels for optocouplers are needed - for the frequency and for the gain.

Vic.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AP recognized the issue and solved it in software. My 2722 has that function but the newer models seem to have lost it. Instead of moving the hardware oscillator to 'bin center' it moves the samples to fall in bin centers, allowing high resolution windowless FFT. Anyone with some proficiency in say MathLab or Octave should find this a trivial exercise ;-)

Jan

None, move to bin center
This choice also does not apply a window function, but it is not restricted to signals that are synchronous. None, move to bin center may be used with any signal which consists only of a single sine wave and any harmonically-related distortion products. For signals that are non-synchronous, this selection modifies the signal so that it becomes synchronous.
None, move to bin center shifts the fundamental frequency of the signal to the center of the nearest bin, which is the same as stretching or compressing the waveform so that an integer number of cycles fits exactly in the transform length.
When used with a single sine wave, this technique results in excellent selectivity, with the signal spreading to the adjacent FFT bin normally 120 dB down or more. Due to the correction, the signal in the DSP buffer will now be at an exact bin center and NOT at the original frequency.

Here’s an example: assume that you want to test an ADC operating at a 48.00 kHz sample rate, using a test signal frequency of 997 Hz. This frequency is often chosen because it is non-synchronous with the sample rate and causes the converter under test to be exercised through a large number of its possible states.
With an FFT length of 16,384 samples, the two nearest synchronous frequencies are 996.09375 Hz (exactly 340 cycles in the buffer) and 999.0234375 Hz (exactly 341 cycles). The None, move to bin center mode of the FFT program will shift the frequency of the acquired 997 Hz signal in DSP memory down to 996.09375 Hz (the nearest synchronous frequency) and then perform a windowless FFT.
The result: the ADC under test was exercised at 997 Hz, as desired; and the frequency correction yielded an unwindowed FFT with high selectivity, as if the signal had been at the synchronous frequency of 996.09375 Hz.
The frequency correction technique has a maximum correction range of ±4%. At the low end of the frequency range there will be frequencies that are more than 4% from a bin center. For example, with a 16,384-sample transform and 48 kHz rate, 37 Hz is approximately the lower limit above which a sine wave at any arbitrary frequency can be guaranteed to be brought to a synchronous frequency.

AP recognized the issue and solved it in software. My 2722 has that function but the newer models seem to have lost it. Instead of moving the hardware oscillator to 'bin center' it moves the samples to fall in bin centers, allowing high resolution windowless FFT. Anyone with some proficiency in say MathLab or Octave should find this a trivial exercise ;-)

Isn't this just a software SRC? For long averages the temporal drift still matters.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes it is. After warm-up, the Vicnic is relatively stable during a measurement period.

Jan

Attachments

• vicnic osc drift 1kHz on to 1hr.PNG
    vicnic osc drift 1kHz on to 1hr.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 323
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Code:

Thanks Demian,

Interesting observations. BTW, a long time ago when I did my THD analyzer I looked carefully for the best JFETs to use, and learned that JFETs with high threshold voltage and low Rds-on were the winners. I ended up choosing the 4091, which was even better than the 4391. I have not tried lately, but have been under the impression that for quite some time the 4091's are or have been more difficult to find than the 4391's. There is some overlap in the specs between the two, so some batches of 4391's may be as good as 4091's.

A key concern that I often have is that, while reducing the signal voltage across the JFET significantly reduces distortion that it may introduce, that reduction can end up increasing the oscillator noise by increasing the amount of noise injected into the oscillator by the agc correction signal for a given amount of available agc control range. It is critical that any amplifying circuitry following the JFET in the path to injection into the oscillator loop have very low noise. This fits in with the desire to have the JFET operating at a relatively low value of resistance.

This is where a fixed-frequency oscillator that is optimized for just that frequency has a big advantage. For one thing, the components can be optimized and precise for that one frequency, significantly reducing the amount of agc range needed. An oscillator that must cover a decade generally will need significantly more agc range because needed agc correction can be frequency dependent for many reasons.

Cheers,
Bob

Having assembled a reasonable test fixture I went on to sort through the 100 J108's i got from eBay. I switched to the Shibasoku for this since its fast and has a very low floor with 50 mV in in the test configuration. The fets raged from .004% HD2 to .008% HD2 with a Vdrop of 45 to 60 mV. The HD seemed to have a bigger variation. This batch of Jfets were National. The showstoper was the Siliconix Fets with .024% HD2 under the same circumstances. I was not expecting that. It suggests I'll need to test semis with the same specs for this. Maybe I'll need to get another 100 J108's.

Having assembled a reasonable test fixture I went on to sort through the 100 J108's i got from eBay. I switched to the Shibasoku for this since its fast and has a very low floor with 50 mV in in the test configuration. The fets raged from .004% HD2 to .008% HD2 with a Vdrop of 45 to 60 mV. The HD seemed to have a bigger variation. This batch of Jfets were National. The showstoper was the Siliconix Fets with .024% HD2 under the same circumstances. I was not expecting that. It suggests I'll need to test semis with the same specs for this. Maybe I'll need to get another 100 J108's.

I wander, if someone has measured low price analog switches like CD4066 in similar condition, at the "virtual ground" in inverting or integrator OPA configuration?

Isn't this just a software SRC? For long averages the temporal drift still matters.

The devil must really be enjoying his ice skates! (Semi inside joke.)

I have been running more resistor distortion tests and one option is to lock the FFT to the signal source. It takes a bit for the label acquiring signal lock to go away and the measurement to begin. Not sure how stable it stays for all the 1024 measurements as I see the test signal leakage increase in level with changes in test frequency. I am using the AP system 2 internal signal source.

All the resistors match to better than 1 part in 1,000 so even at low test voltages I am able to look below -160 dB.

All this is after three days of warm up in my office. Might just need to turn off the room's set back thermostat.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Am I correct... the problem is drift in notch and freq?

PLL should take care of that.

David's variable freq. gen seems quite stable when measuring it's -145dbv distortion.
Again... anyone have his schematic? Who handled his estate?

I'd like to try a few opamps Victor uses in David's.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Am I correct... the problem is drift in notch and freq?

PLL should take care of that.

David's variable freq. gen seems quite stable when measuring it's -145dbv distortion.
Again... anyone have his schematic? Who handled his estate?

I'd like to try a few opamps Victor uses in David's.

THx-RNMarsh

David is gone?! Damn. What age, etc?

I had a PM exchange with him a few months ago in which he sent me 4 or 5 schematics. If you think they'd be useful, I think I can track them down.

Regards,

Steve