I got my new lamp. It is for commercial projection use. people use it to replace the

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excuse my ignorance, but would it be possible to use this light instead of the typical 400w MH bulb in a 15inch projector?

What would be the difference in picture? Besides less heat, etc etc..

I thought that the 6500K colour temp is a bit too cool?

Lastly, what type of reflector would have to be used?

Thanks

Also, any other aussies that might be interested?

slodki said:
Excuse my ignorance, but would it be possible to use this light instead of the typical 400w MH bulb in a 15inch projector?

What would be the difference in picture? Besides less heat, etc etc..

Thanks

Also, any other aussies that might be interested?

you can use it with 15" projector and it will be more simple to collect all the light from the lamp.
if you move in the future to smaller lcd you have much better results with this lamp.
This lamp also has less heat.
the color temp of 6500k is just fine and much better from 5200K lamp, most of the company projector use 6500K.

Shlomid

slodki said:

6500K is color temp of daylight ( someplace state as 6000K )

it can be used with a spherical reflector like other MHs, including HQI, do. or you can use it with an ellipsoidal reflector if you got one.

Thanks

Also, any other aussies that might be interested? [/B]

yes, there were two.

prime said:
Hi ywh

How does the ballast wiring attach to the lamp ends? got any pics?
Are there any holders for the lamp or will I have to make something up?

it can use the same attachments that HMI lamps use. we will see if YWH can convince the manufacturer to throw in a free pair in each set (crossing fingers)

shlomid said:

you can use it with 15" projector and it will be more simple to collect all the light from the lamp.
if you move in the future to smaller lcd you have much better results with this lamp.
This lamp also has less heat.
the color temp of 6500k is just fine and much better from 5200K lamp, most of the company projector use 6500K.

Shlomid

Thanks for the reply..

One thing i have noticed on these forums is that people generally use an OHP and modify it to make their projectors..

I am thinking of actually making a box, etc, not using an OHP parts, and make my projector that way.

So is it still possible to use this bulb as a lightsource? Also, what kind of reflector would be needed?

Once again, sorry for my ignorance. I always thought that to get good results, you need high lumens etc, just have to try to understand the concept being that a smaller arc lenght lamp can produce same if not better results to a 400W globe..

Last question i promise :) Is the main use of this bulb for smaller size screen's, would people generally use this for say a 7inch lcd? Or the people that will buy this..will they use it for a 15inch. Then, if they are using it for a 15, is it for an OHP, or box built one?

Thanks
slodki

Sorry...cant edit posts..

18wheeler, just wanted to make sure that i can use this with a 15inch and get good results. I dont want something that with a little ambient light its unwatchable. Or with a totally dark room i dont want it to be too dim etc.

Thats my only worry, that it isn't powerful enough project a good image from a 15inch...

If it will work, then i will probably go for it, and send you money for the kit..

many people used 250W HQI with 15" LCD and got good result. this lamp will perform better than HQI. How much ambient light it can tolerent? I don't know. but from YWH's screen shot earlier in this thread, I'd say low level ambient light is not a problem. just don't stretch your screen too large.

believe or not, since you are in Australia, you can enjoy the benefits of this lamp. 220V-240V ballast is available. ywh can order it for you.

But for our folks in US, I will break a bad news. There was a "minor" misunderstanding when we communicated with the manufacturer, we learned yesterday that the minimum order to have the ballast modified to accept 100V-240V is 100, not 10. :Ouch: :mad: so I had to cancel the group buy for our folks in the States. but Australia orders are still good. the 220v-240v ballast will be shipped out.

Now, I am on the quest to find a DC ballast will work for this lamp in US. :radar:

slodki: I didn't see your email. or I didn't know which email was from your. Did you send email to DIYproj@gmail.com?

and I was going to use this lamp with my 15.4" LCD, but, now I have to go back to the 150W CDM-T lamp

I think it is a great idea to try to find a different ballast that will work on this bulb, as a proprietary ballast with a chinese company that won't export doesn't seem like the best plan.

You do not necessarily need them to modify the system to accept 110v, you can buy transformers that will handle 250w 110v->220v for under $30, maybe as low as $10.

You could also buy the ballast and post it on here, I am sure someone here would be able to tell you how to modify the ballast to make it accept 110v if it is a simple $4 change.

Hopefully YWH finds out some more information tonight when he meets with the company. Does anyone know if this company has a website, since they are very popular in China DIY I would imagine they have a website. I would like to see the stats on their bulb and ballast first hand.

It is a shame such a company does not have a web site. but it is not surprising to me. Many many chinese company do not put their products on the web. Even they do, rearly you can find it in English.

My impresion is that this is a small-sized company. they might be a parts surplier for large companies. This lamp/ballast is very likely a 'side' product, and is welcomed by the DIY community. It is hard to believe a manufacture company would purely survive on DIY market.

I am very tempted to buy one set and see if I can mod it myself. But I am a biologist not an EE major (by the way, ywh is a doctor if you are wondering. here we have a perfect example who can afford a commercial projector, but loves DIYs).

sabrex said:
There is still the possibility that we can use a seperate step down convertor like the ones at http://www.world-import.com/transformers.htm. They're not too expensive although somewhat big looking.

actually you need a step-up transformer to go from 120V to 220V. But I question if the only change to the unit is a transformer switch? If so, can we just buy the appropriate transformer from this manufacturer and switch it out outselves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.