Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well synchronized asynchronous FIFO buffer - Slaved I2S reclocker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 10:57 PM   #81
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Well, if its isolated via opto and distanced by a few meter, I cant see how that is possible. Please provide a technical explanation - I'm curious.

//

Not sure where and how many those "few meter" need to be. IME as long as the ethernet cables pass through the music room, everything terminating them becomes audible. And of course, the cables themselves. Optical will solve this particular issue completely.

I just don't see how the fifo is related to any of this.
Old 15th September 2020, 11:42 PM   #82
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Since the FIFO operates in a different domain nothing should pass from the source, but without proper isolation the FIFO become source dependent.

The FPGA is not the best place to generate the crucial signals to feed the DAC, it adds a lot of jitter as I have already demonstrated.
A very good master clock is the best starting point to generate directly the crucial signal for the DAC, avoiding to cross the FPGA.

Moreover ethernet is not mandatory, I would avoid all RF interferences (Lan, WiFi, BT, remote controls, smartphone and so on) in the listening room. To enjoy these toys I would use another room.
They have nothing to do with hi-end audio.
That's the reason I'm designing a standalone source, obviously in a separate box and far from the digital to analog conversion.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:12 PM   #83
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrea,

I just wanted to get your thoughts about what are the advantages of using the rpi i2s output via gpio vs rpi Usb output. Is the i2s output via gpio superior to usb output?

Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:21 PM   #84
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

I believe both have poor digital output, so the GPIO I2S save me to use one more converter (USB to I2S) since I can connect the I2S output directly to the FIFO.

As I have already said I don't care much about the quality of the I2S output, a true FIFO buffer well isolated is not affected by the quality of the signal coming from the source.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:19 PM   #85
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

thanks Andrea
Old 16th September 2020, 11:11 PM   #86
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Not sure where and how many those "few meter" need to be. IME as long as the ethernet cables pass through the music room, everything terminating them becomes audible. And of course, the cables themselves. Optical will solve this particular issue completely.

I just don't see how the fifo is related to any of this.
Is it data integrity or jitter that is your consern? You do of course know that one the dta has been written into a memory, any trace of previous jitter on the incoming line is gone. Remains data intehrity - bit errors, really?!!

//

The Well synchronized asynchronous FIFO buffer - Slaved I2S reclockerHide this!Advertise here!