Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Ray, are both MUTE and DSD ON active low now? That is, does MUTE low mean the sound has to be muted and does DSD ON low mean the data are in DSD format? If so, for the raw DSD valve DAC, it should suffice to swap them. In Achim's case, one was active low and the other active high, which complicated things. Achim also used a JLSounds board, but apparently the polarity sometimes changes with the software version.

As the raw DSD valve DAC can only handle raw DSD, it treats its active-high DSD ON input as an active-low mute: when the data are not DSD, it can't process them properly and mutes its output. Similarly, an active-low DSD ON signal goes high whenever the data are not DSD, so you can connect it to the active-high MUTE input.

Below are screengrabs from the JLSounds documentation. 'Capture JLS 1' is the non-isolated header and 'Capture JLS 2 is for the isolated header.

I'll check out Achim's experience.

Attachments

• Capture JLS 1.JPG
    Capture JLS 1.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Capture JLS 2.JPG
    Capture JLS 2.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 77
I had a similar issue with the BBB/Twisted Pear Hermes/Cronus that is use with my DSC2 and solved it with a small additional isolator board so I think I'll look to make use of that. I'll need to modify it as, unlike the DSC2 scenario there are no convenient 3.3V power lines available so I'll have to add some 3.3V regulators, fed from the 5V lines,

Achim ended up with his solution after discussing the matter with JLSounds. His optocouplers only buffer or invert logic signals while providing galvanic insulation, the muting is still done by the JFETs.
As Marcel summarizes - it's a simple and effective solution. Easily breadboarded if you go for a through-hole optocoupler. There seem to be a few on the market. I had a surface mount type which offers an added experience of soldering task.

I'm putting together a ValveDAC (DSD version) for someone (using Mirko's board that he was selling a few posts back) and I've just order the passive through hole parts to progress my spare board from the group buy - I may try the CD optimiser with my one using the Sowter trasformers that Raja sent me.

Anyway, for the former build I'll be using a JLSounds I2SoverUSB board (version 3) on the input but I've just had a surprise when I read the documentation - on the isolated side the Mute and DSD-On flags are both 'Lo', the reverse of those flags on the non-isolated header. As the Valve DAC requires those flags to be 'Hi' it looks like I'll have to build a small module with an invertor or, alternatively, an isolator for the 'Hi' flag outputs. I've also dropped JLSounds a mail to see if there's a firmware option too. Anyway, it's a bit of a nuisance especially as anything I have to build will likely need 3.3V power.
Yeah, Im in a similar boat with the JLSounds board. Let us know if there's a few option to invert the isolated outputs.

Lyuben has recommended just using an invertor and suggested a part number that will run on a 5V power supply so really a very simple solution. I think I will draw a simple PCB that will interface the JLSounds and Valve DAC headers and include the invertor so it should end up in a simple stack beneath the Valve DAC main board.

The only fly in the ointment might finding somewhere with some stock of the invertor chip.

Yesterday I started to design a simple interface PCB and managed to order some of the inverters suggested by Lyuben from Mouser - lucky as they're were all but out of stock with a long lead time. I will try to finish the PCB in the next few days and post an image so another pair of eyes can check/critique it.

That's nice to hear!

It may prove even more difficult than before to get the FPGA module. Practically nothing is in stock at Trenz Electronic nowadays and they even stopped putting expected lead times on their site.

Yes I’ve noticed that. I figured I would cross that bridge when I got there and try and get other things ready first. Step 1 is finding a PCB since ordering a new batch for one unit is prohibitively expensive.

Sonny, there was a fellow in the US that I think still had a pcb or two from the group buy. I can't remember his name, but a search should find it. Perhaps he was where your original pcb came from?

Otherwise, I do have spare pcb's, and even a spare FPGA. I managed to sneak an extra pair of TE0630 LX75 from Mouser when things were getting hard to find and I only need one for my second ValveDAC...although a spare would be worthwhile in this current supply situation but realistically I should not need one. They are not programmed. I am in Australia which is a long way from everywhere else, so there would be the cost of international postage but as far as I can tell that FPGA is unobtanium at the moment.