Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2021, 04:04 AM   #5851
A123 is offline A123  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabster 2000 View Post
I have a transportPI that I swapped with HdmiPI as I did not want the unneeded extra circuitry so I was able to take a nice photo L1 is on the back close to the input voltage
Thank you for taking the time to take a photo.

I always wondered where the "L1" was located...

I will not start this process until a ReclockPi is in hand when I have to purchase my 2nd TransportPi.

My 1st TransportPi will be left un-modded.
Old 13th January 2021, 07:37 AM   #5852
holco is offline holco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Look at b and d.

If you want to use an independent DC power supply for TransportPi, you will need:
a. Solder the supplied DC terminal connector to the position of J3.
b. Remove FB L1 at bottom side of PCB if you donít want this power supply connected to GPIO anymore.
c. Feed good 5V linear/ultra capacitor voltage rail or 3.3V LifePO4/ultra capacitor rail to J3.
d. If 3.3V pure LifePO4 or ultra capacitor voltage is used, itís highly recommended to bypass the on-board low
noise LDO by soldering jumper wires between IN and OUT as described above

Quote:
Originally Posted by A123 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed this step in the manual but I could never locate "L1" on the PCB Layout (top) within the manual. I have not physically looked under the TransportPi yet (bottom).

Is "L1" basically that small board in the middle of the TransportPi with the labels "3.3V REG" and "LOW NOISE"?

If so, do I just solder a wire to "IN" on one end and "OUT" on the other end?

EDIT: I noticed in your photo the wiring on the TransportPi. Is this the step to remove "L1"?

Manual

Last edited by holco; 13th January 2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #5853
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabster 2000 View Post
* But still should I let City ground connect to the hats negative poles?
I would suggest to make it optional. IME it can help, hurt, or make no difference. Have to try it under the conditions where the equipment will be used to see.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:28 PM   #5854
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holco View Post
Look at b and d.

b. Remove FB L1 at bottom side of PCB if you don’t want this power supply connected to GPIO anymore.

d. If 3.3V pure LifePO4 or ultra capacitor voltage is used, it’s highly recommended to bypass the on-board low
noise LDO by soldering jumper wires between IN and OUT as described above
d. seems pretty straightforward. just need to solder a single jumper wire on two ends.

b. unsure how to remove. can I just pull out the metal piece off of L1? do I need to de-solder?

Note: I cannot proceed ATM because I need to purchase a second TransportPi. My current TransportPi is in production un-modified, so I don't want to touch since STABLE. But this will really be beneficial once I get the second TransportPi.

Last edited by A123; 13th January 2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #5855
diyAudio Member

L1 must of course be desoldered.

Quote:
Supporting picture,

Best regards,

Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A123 View Post
d. seems pretty straightforward. just need to solder a single jumper wire on two ends.

b. unsure how to remove. can I just pull out the metal piece off of L1? do I need to de-solder?

Note: I cannot proceed ATM because I need to purchase a second TransportPi. My current TransportPi is in production un-modified, so I don't want to touch since STABLE. But this will really be beneficial once I get the second TransportPi.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #5856
diyAudio Member

Quote:
L1 must of course be desoldered.

Cheers for the confirmation.

I likely will not be able to attempt this feat until the Summer, so it's great to know the proper step in advance.
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #5857
diyAudio Member

Not comparable to how it sounds in real live, but it gives an idea

Recorded with a Tascam DR-40 (48kHz)

Raspian (Ian Canada) streamer
Audio-GD R8 (2021) DAC
Audio-GD Master 1 Vacuum XLR preamplifier
Mordaunt Short Performance 6 Limited Edition loudspeakers (converted to full active with 6x NCore poweramp's (Two Hypex FusionAmp's FA253)

Freya Redings - Lost Without You - YouTube

Simply Red - So Beautiful - YouTube

Cigarettes After Sex - Apocalypse - YouTube

Patrick Watson - Lighthouse - YouTube
  Reply to this post

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!