Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Was anyone able to connect the FIFO Q7 to a DAC directly via i2s from the Q7 pins?

I tried to connect this way to my Audio-gd Master7 without success – there is no sound.

At the same time, I have no problems at all connecting the Pi2AES in the same way - from five pins of the reclocker's I2S-output to the DAC’s internal connector.

Why it doesn’t work with FIFO Q7?
Have you tried to play with 'order' of starting of device,first Q7 then Master7 and vice versa?
Or may be a problem with the operating system.

Reactions: 1 user
Although for some time I have been ogling Ian Canada's modules and ploughing through this bounteous thread, this is my first post here. I think I am ready to take the plunge, and to start with a streamer with I2S output, for which I would use the RPi4 that is now in my Pi2AES.

Before ordering, I would appreciate any comments on my current shopping list:
  • StationPi Pro
  • FifoPi Q7
  • HDMIPi Pro
  • PurePi II
  • 2x batteries 18650
  • UcConditioner 3.3V
  • 2 ultracapacitors
I thought to use the StationPi Pro to facilitate putting it in a box later. I have a good 5V LPS available (Paul Hynes).

Newbee question: is it correct that all RPi based DAC projects here are actually integrated streamer/DAC combo's? If yes, would that bring SQ benefits compared to using a separate streamer, due to shorter/simplified connections? No need in that case for an HDMI/I2S cable for instance.

If yes, would that bring SQ benefits compared to using a separate streamer, due to shorter/simplified connections? No need in that case for an HDMI/I2S cable for instance.
I went opposite with separate streamer. The DAC stack has no RPi. So that means less noise. I2S is digital. I’m finding no quality loss from streamer to DAC. I think Ian’s recent post on ReciverPiDDC also endorses this approach if you read it.

I went opposite with separate streamer. The DAC stack has no RPi. So that means less noise. I2S is digital. I’m finding no quality loss from streamer to DAC. I think Ian’s recent post on ReciverPiDDC also endorses this approach if you read it.

Indeed I see advantages of separating streamer and DAC, keeping the DAC noise free, and also being able to be able to compare them with other streamers/DACs. On the other hand, combining them in one stack (or two when integrated by the StationPi Pro), would be considerably more cost effective, f.i. making the HDMIPi and ReceiverPi redundant.

On another topic: is there a table somewhere that shows the correlation of possible/maximum resolutions (PCM 44-384 and DSD 64-512) and clock frequencies (22.5792, 24.5760, 45.1584, 49.1520)? I searched for it but just found some conflicting information.

FiFoPiQ7 manual
IMG_8594.png

have you tried to connect J11 MCLK, J8 SCK, J9 LRCK and J10 SD via U.FL coaxial cable from FiFoPi to DAC and turn off Continuous clock output mode in FiFoPi?
No, I didn't connect the q7 from UFL, as the center UFL wire is so flimsy that its thinness makes it inconvenient to connect to the DAC connector, and it breaks easily too.

Is there any reason to believe that signals from UFL will be somehow different from FifoPi GPIO pins' signals?

Last edited:
Hi. I am looking to build this DAC. I was wondering if anyone could please help me out with a couple of questions.

Do I have to buy the Amanero Combo384 Module and remote separately or does Ian sell them as well?

It says in the manual "Possible upgrade: - Upgrade the 3.3V power supply to a PurePi MkIII 3.3V" Is that a typo? I can only find info on PurePi MkII and no PurePi MkIII.

Is the I/V pictured with the round transformers the new version of the OPA861 I/V? Does it need to be supplied +-5v power?

1698273958586.png

Hi, I have audio-Gd R7 He Mk2. For sound input Dac,I had to change Fifopi to 32 bit lossless with my Monitorpi.
Thank you for the clue.
I'm a little surprised that there is no such setting in the FifoPi Q7 controller itself, if without this option its functioning is impossible.
In the manual for MonitorPI I can't see a single hint of such an option or description of its change too.
How do you transfer a digital stream from FifoPi Q7 to your Audio-Gd R7 He Mk2? I mean, do you use any interface or feed i2s directly?

Last edited:
Hi. I am looking to build this DAC. I was wondering if anyone could please help me out with a couple of questions.

Do I have to buy the Amanero Combo384 Module and remote separately or does Ian sell them as well?

It says in the manual "Possible upgrade: - Upgrade the 3.3V power supply to a PurePi MkIII 3.3V" Is that a typo? I can only find info on PurePi MkII and no PurePi MkIII.

Is the I/V pictured with the round transformers the new version of the OPA861 I/V? Does it need to be supplied +-5v power?

View attachment 1227555
Ian does not sell the Amanero.
There is a linear pi duo I use to power my analogue output OPA861IV differential voltage.
I don’t recognize that IV board. Check below….for IV boards.

IMG_8596.png

Yes

Not sure

No these are transformers by Ivan instead of Opa861 you do not need power -5 0 +5v with transformers see one of my videos where I compared the 2.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure. Haven't seen a comparison of different USB modules reclocked through a FIFOPi Q7. To easily work with Ian's stuff it minimally needs a header compatible with the Amanero Combo 384 module. It is cheaper in the US to get a chinese Xmos with a compatible header than to order the Amanero from Italy.

Hello

I'm building a streaming renderer.
I'm doing a quick working test and then putting it into a case.
The sc-pure is installed separately because of the loose socket.
I have two operating systems: raspberry pi cm4 and engineered-sa ERED-MOD.
I switch between them depending on my mood.
Both are attractive sounds.
The sound of the ERED-MOD is more musical and emotional.
Is this a difference between commercial and audio board design?

Both work perfectly with ROON.

The wires connected sound better with industrial coaxial wires than with high end audio wires.
The clock signal and I2S signal are connected with coaxial shielded wire.
UFL connector
I will be replacing my raspberry pi cm4 with a raspberry pi 5 in the future.
I have some ideas that I haven't installed yet.
I replaced the coaxial output with a SC947-02LF transformer.
It sounds more dynamic.

Not finished yet, parts are coming.
I'll post again when it's finished.

It's not quite finished yet, but thanks to Ian for making it fun to make and fun to listen to.
Awesome!
Looking forward to seeing your final finished project.