Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi, yes verified that.
So I still have some OPA challenges and also need to be more confident to measure.

In general, as a newbie DAC/Streamer builder, who thought buying this "kit" and wired it together and you have a perfect DAC/Streamer..
I'm now back to reality...it is far away from an "average hifi electronic kit"!

So I will completly go back to step 1 and just build a simplified IAN Streamer and than move on. Currently even using my external Weiss 501 DAC and the SPIDIF from the Transport AES+ is disappointing bad streaming quality (lot of noise) - already disconnected my OPA and just using PurePiII.

thanks everyone for support!
I had this same problem when I first built the DAC. I can’t remember what it was but I think the +5/-5/0 power was not correctly hooked up or I had some power issue. You get a weak badly distorted signal. It may be in some of my posts.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, yes verified that.
So I still have some OPA challenges and also need to be more confident to measure.

In general, as a newbie DAC/Streamer builder, who thought buying this "kit" and wired it together and you have a perfect DAC/Streamer..
I'm now back to reality...it is far away from an "average hifi electronic kit"!

So I will completly go back to step 1 and just build a simplified IAN Streamer and than move on. Currently even using my external Weiss 501 DAC and the SPIDIF from the Transport AES+ is disappointing bad streaming quality (lot of noise) - already disconnected my OPA and just using PurePiII.

thanks everyone for support!
Please do it step by step. Don't mix up different issues.
To get start up, please keep everything default. Any upgrade would be after system gets stable.
If you are new to DIY, I would suggest started from a transformer I/V to avoid power supply issues.

"Currently even using my external Weiss 501 DAC and the SPIDIF from the Transport AES+ is disappointing bad streaming quality (lot of noise)"
That must be something wrong. Has to be figured out.

Have fun with you hobby.

Reactions: 2 users
I had this same problem when I first built the DAC. I can’t remember what it was but I think the +5/-5/0 power was not correctly hooked up or I had some power issue. You get a weak badly distorted signal. It may be in some of my posts.
I looked back. I couldn't find. If I recall correctly, it was 3.3V supply issue somehow board didn't have 3.3v.

Please do it step by step. Don't mix up different issues.
To get start up, please keep everything default. Any upgrade would be after system gets stable.
If you are new to DIY, I would suggest started from a transformer I/V to avoid power supply issues.

"Currently even using my external Weiss 501 DAC and the SPIDIF from the Transport AES+ is disappointing bad streaming quality (lot of noise)"
That must be something wrong. Has to be figured out.

Have fun with you hobby.

I greatly appreciate your pretty awesome engineering skills!!
Don't misunderstand me, I'm confident you have done on awesome job here... it's just me, that I proceed too fast & too excited with a complex topic ;-)

Without @zabloc I would'nt even come close to my goal...great community here & even that you directly respond is great!!

Thx!
Gerald

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing some mind games right now, so forgive me if this question is totally stupid, I just want to check the feasibility.
But would it be possible to use the HDMI output of the RPI4 to feed the HDMI input of the ReceiverPi with DSD from DSD256 upwards? Is that even feasible? Or do we also have the RPI sample rate limitation here like with the GPIO I2S interface?

Many new DIY enthusiasts often begin with projects that are overly complex. I recommend starting with simplicity, ensuring everything functions correctly, and then incrementally upgrading one element at a time. This approach helps pinpoint issues.

In many commercial DACs, the streamer contributes minimally to sound improvements because the DAC reclocks with subpar clocks and PSU. I've achieved better results by building a DAC, where clocks and PSU changes are more discernible.

As an example of an excellent starting DAC, I assembled a simple yet fantastic-sounding DAC using all of Ian's parts. Keeping Cost/Value in mind. You can find a link to the video on my channel for more details. You can use it as a starting example. See Flagship DIY Dac Video.
https://www.youtube.com/@Gabster1/videos

Reactions: 6 users
@Exus
Because the RPI, like every computer, has some kind of sound card that sends, now I don't remember PCM or bitstream, audio signal through HDMI so you can somehow get it out if you need it.
In this case they are not compatible. Don't look at the HDMI connector as one and universal, it's just a connector. It is important what kind of signal/protocol goes through that connector. If IIS or IIS/LVDS is listed on the HDMI connector, it is a connector for that protocol only. If it says HDMI, then it is a port with standard HDMI protocol for video/audio, it is similar with Display port. HDMI ARC is again a protocol that is True HDMI but has an audio return channel.
If you read the instructions from Ian's products he always states IIS/LVDS through the HDMI connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Try GentooPlayer, it has the "famous" Diretta driver that plays native DSD through RPI, honestly I don't know what sample rate, but I saw it when I was researching. I think for the test I did upsample to DSD512 through Roon and that's it, I'm not sure how much Roon can go with upsample.

Last edited:
Hello all, as many of you already noticed and mentioned here. I have the clicking noise as well, when the Fifopi I2S stops when for example selecting another track. I found below post from Ian and I was wondering of this can be solved without the monitorPi?

Also, can there any issues being expected when a longer (Than the standard 30cm) is used as GPIO extension towards the MonitorPi.

Attachments

• 100041C4-0D2D-424E-9F35-04DF214CAA25.jpeg
    100041C4-0D2D-424E-9F35-04DF214CAA25.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 3DAC19AE-B268-45FA-B269-D62BA9722B3B.png
    3DAC19AE-B268-45FA-B269-D62BA9722B3B.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 159
Try GentooPlayer, it has the "famous" Diretta driver that plays native DSD through RPI, honestly I don't know what sample rate, but I saw it when I was researching. I think for the test I did upsample to DSD512 through Roon and that's it, I'm not sure how much Roon can go with upsample.
RPI is a wonderful NAA endpoint for HQPlayer, but it has its DSD or high PCM rate limitations. That's why I'm looking for an equivalent that can handle high DSD native rates. Any suggestions in this direction would be great.

Yes, with this info it started rattling around in my head. But so far no info on how to feed the ReceiverPi via I2S HDMI with DSD natively.
I use a separate RPi streamer. But RPi has limitations on bitrate. I have used it to transmit 64dsd native and DoP from my streamer to my Piless DAC.

If you can point me to a dsd256,512,1024 sample files I can try them to see where it stops.
I’m using volumio on RPi on my streamer with fifoPi and HDMIPro to transmit i2S to my DAC stack.

My projects are done, I'm not getting involved in any discussions but I noticed i²s chatter. Plus, my memory is bad so I might easily inadvertently mix things up.

Before I realised the Raspberry Pi is still continually evolving, I was looking into RPi-Free solutions with an Intel Xeon CPU as a possible future upgrade. I'm giving up on that idea as it's diminishing returns for my use case since the RPi is now 2-3X more powerful and that was my leak (CPU PWR) I wanted to plug.

So I just want to point out besides USB, you can possibly output i²s via PCI-E from a PC (untested):

i2s-bridge.jpg

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...tml#/521-additional_clock_for_i2s_bridge-tcxo

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-464#post-7435540

Since they are located in the EU, maybe they have a demo unit they can send out for someone to test?

I was just hoping for a quick answer on battery-powering the PurePi MKII but since it was not designed for that purpose I'm going to give up on a quick answer so OUT again.

Last edited: