Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2015, 03:17 AM   #3661
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Raspberry Pi B+ works perfectly with Ian FIFO II KIT + ESS9018DAC through RPi I2S cap

Yesterday, I hooked up my Raspberry Pi B+ with my FIFO II KIT and following by ESS9018 DAC (synchronize mode) through the new developed RPi I2S cap PCB. Because I have a FIFO isolator after FIFO and an independent battery power for Dual XO II clock board, I picked up 5V power supply directly from Raspberry Pi to FIFO II without affect any on the sound quality. The sound was so good. Raspberry plays music like a charm. All drawback of Pi as a music player was gone. Both RuneAdudio and Volumio software image work for Ian FIFO KIT

Now, Raspberry Pi has external low jitter clocks on the FIFO clock board as well as MCLK output. Any high-end DIY DACs can be easily connected to under this configuration. Pi Jitter performance is no longer decided by its internal PLL, but XOs on clock board. There is no limitation on MCLK frequencies and clock quality any more. The bad reputation of Pi PLL becomes nothing now. Additional I2S inputs such as S/PDIF board, USB streamer, and something else can also work together with Raspberry Pi under this configuration with FIFO II. Good low jitter clocks on Dual XO II will work for all music sources at same quality in this case. Raspberry Pi becomes an amazing audiophile grade music player.

Since I already confirmed that this Raspberry Pi I2S cap PCB is functional, I will share 30 of them with diyAudio members for free very soon. I’ll put a note on this thread once they are ready for ship. Please keep watch and send message to me at that time. Or, please follow my Twitter @iancanadaTT for any new updates.

Have fun with the $25/$35 Raspberry Pi B+/2 music player and the huge RPi community support.

Click the image to open in full size.
DSC02815C1Pro by Ian, on Flickr

DSC02817C1Pro by Ian, on Flickr

DSC02821C1Pro by Ian, on Flickr

DSC02831C1Pro by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 19th August 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 19th August 2015, 05:57 AM   #3662
Zoef is offline Zoef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Looks good!
By the way, there working on new volumio software, can't wait to try that.
You got a new "stalker" on Twitter LOL
Old 19th August 2015, 08:39 AM   #3663
fralippo is offline fralippo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to feed +5V to the Raspberry thru power connector on RPi I2S cap PCB? I'd be happy not to use that micro-usb, or whatever it is, standard cable.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:32 AM   #3664
Zoef is offline Zoef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fralippo View Post
Is it possible to feed +5V to the Raspberry thru power connector on RPi I2S cap PCB? I'd be happy not to use that micro-usb, or whatever it is, standard cable.
Hi Fralippo,
Take a look at this. I think your answer is here.
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com...rough-the-gpio
Old 19th August 2015, 04:50 PM   #3665
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Very nice Ian,superb set,compact but of very high quality.You have note a difference between RuneAudio and Volumio concerning sound quality.
Old 19th August 2015, 05:24 PM   #3666
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
You have note a difference between RuneAudio and Volumio concerning sound quality.
If there was a difference, wouldn't that be an indication that the FIFO isn't working?
Old 19th August 2015, 05:29 PM   #3667
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
If there was a difference, wouldn't that be an indication that the FIFO isn't working?
I love many attributes of the sound when using the FIFO but it does not eliminate differences between sources, cables, OS, PC power supplies. Yet, it certainly does work. How these differences propagate and become audible is a mystery to me.

I should add: my system, my ears, ymmv
Old 19th August 2015, 05:46 PM   #3668
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Size of the buffer ? Crystal ?
Old 19th August 2015, 06:17 PM   #3669
analog_sa is online now analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Nah. The fifo is perfect. More likely noise by radiation or through PS but outside the direct signal path. Even though my dac has 5 transformers and weighs a ton, some signal/noise coupling must occur.
Old 19th August 2015, 07:07 PM   #3670
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Nah. The fifo is perfect. More likely noise by radiation or through PS but outside the direct signal path. Even though my dac has 5 transformers and weighs a ton, some signal/noise coupling must occur.
But the player software shouldn't really affect any of those.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!