Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Buying a 20 $ Samsonite in Vietnam when you are there can give you a product that you can use for walking around with some basic stuff hoping it will not fall apart.
The North Face has a factory over there and you can fool yourself thinking that a cheap jacket you just bought was actually made there but ended up in an illegal way on the market where you bought it. Once you do this you commit an offense.
There are companies out there which know how to make more than decent quality products but you will need local help or serious expertise to find them.
If you have the machinery to make clothing you can make good or bad ones. BUT if you start by using a bad fabric it will never be good.
Making a supercap is in a different league i guess. Everything has to be good to give a good product. If a sub standard foil is used it wont last or can be unreliable. Havinbg a zipper in your jacket stop working after 3 weeks is bad but burning down your house because a 2,7 volt cap collapses at 2,3 volt is worse.
Doede had two cheap caps in series where one of them was far off from promised specs.
So MANY bad caps stories on the internet i would always stick with companies like Mouser. To me products being available on '' the dark web '' while the usual suppliers have been out of stock for months must be wrong.
If you wanna take the risk it is up to you.
Greetings, Eduard

Hello,
Buying a 20 $ Samsonite in Vietnam when you are there can give you a product that you can use for walking around with some basic stuff hoping it will not fall apart.
The North Face has a factory over there and you can fool yourself thinking that a cheap jacket you just bought was actually made there but ended up in an illegal way on the market where you bought it. Once you do this you commit an offense.
There are companies out there which know how to make more than decent quality products but you will need local help or serious expertise to find them.
If you have the machinery to make clothing you can make good or bad ones. BUT if you start by using a bad fabric it will never be good.
Making a supercap is in a different league i guess. Everything has to be good to give a good product. If a sub standard foil is used it wont last or can be unreliable. Havinbg a zipper in your jacket stop working after 3 weeks is bad but burning down your house because a 2,7 volt cap collapses at 2,3 volt is worse.
Doede had two cheap caps in series where one of them was far off from promised specs.
So MANY bad caps stories on the internet i would always stick with companies like Mouser. To me products being available on '' the dark web '' while the usual suppliers have been out of stock for months must be wrong.
If you wanna take the risk it is up to you.
Greetings, Eduard

Partly my point. But none of this says anything about the quality of the product being offered. China is the world's factory and they are capable of making first rate stuff. What we buy from Mouser under the names Maxwell and Eaton is produced there. So is my laptop that has "Apple" written on it.

To me that company selling the 'Maxwell' caps looks pretty decent. (See the "about us" section in the listing.) They probably did manufacture the caps for Maxwell in the past. The Maxwell branding looks so good that they may even have the original file with Maxwell's branding style. It doesn't look like some shoddy copy job. So they probably know very well what they are doing. Probably. Apparently according to at least one rather trustworthy user here these caps work fine, which helps. Cleary Doede's mileage varied. But we don't know if these are the caps that he bought.

The Eaton caps on Mouser have the exact same dimensions as the original Maxwell caps (check drawings in data sheet.) They may very well come from the same factory as the factory where the original Maxwells were manufactured. Why may be the people advertising on AliExpress. Impossible to say. What exactly does it add that Mouser is the middle man instead of AliExpress?

What doesn't sit well with me is that the company is trying to capitalise on the Maxwell name to sell its own products. The "product discontinuation notice" published on Mouser does not mince words. As far as Maxwell or its parent company UCAP is concerned, back in February 2020 the UCs are "discontinued" and "end of life". That pretty definitive. (UCAP is the company that bought back the UC business from Tesla.)

There is no way of knowing whether, and there is no reason to assume that the caps offered on AliExpress are crap. As Eduard points out it is hard to evaluate the risk. So to every user his or her own decision about this.

I just thought that users here should know they're not buying anything made or sold by Maxwell. Because that is really not apparent from the AliExpress listing, except if you scroll down. And it's nice that there is an alternative at Mouser.

By the way, on eBay I found a most reasonably priced used set of six 3000F Maxwells including linking strips and balancing boards. These caps are built to last, so what could be the risk in that?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have a Vietnamese friend who works at Nike quality control. She can distinguish between copy and original most of the times.
Sure lots of products sold '' in the west '' are made by Asian companies and the serious companies here will make sure that the quality is at a certain level.
But the '' marketplace '' filled with copies is HUGE. There are a big number of companies that can supply copies that look like genuine for the most of us. Some of them with higher life expectancy than the original one.
For a jacket or a bag you could try to take a risk. For things that could get you into trouble i wont take the risk.
If a company that assembles jet engines needs 300.000 bolts they can save money by getting them at AliExpress but they will chose a supplier where every bolt will be up to the desired specifications.
There wont be dozens of factories producing supercaps Like toiletpaper producing companies they can deliver whatever looks you want to have. But better than average will cost more.
Doede just bought some cheap caps for some initial experiments and one or a few? turned out to be inferior. Buying at Mouser will give you extra security for sure.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi Ian,

I'm similar to @eduard in that I'm only comfortable buying from Mouser, Digikey, etc.

I'm going to put a hold on scaling with Ultra Capacitors until I get my system up and running, so I'm in zero rush.

I noticed Mouser stocks the Skeleton Technologies brand (German HQ).

Skeleton product range doubles with 3 new modules and a 3.0V ultracapacitor with the highest specific energy on the market

Would the SCI3400 be an alternative if it becomes available on Mouser?

SkelCap-cells-2.jpg

Right now Mouser only stocks (2022) the SCA3200 which doesn't have threads, but if the SCI3400 starts appearing...

SkelCap SCH / SCI / SCK / SCL Series Cells

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I bought the Skeleton ultra caps for the UcHybrid boards after the ones from Maxwell used by everyone were not available at Mouser for a LONG time.
Skeleton looks like perfect quality to me and being sold by Mouser is enough reason to get a few. If i remember well there is another member using them.
Of course it is up to each of us if they are willing to take a risk and buy something that might be good, perfect or just very bad at some Chinese shop. I wouldnt even use them if i got them for free.
Better be without the ultimate sound quality for 6 months than owning something that
could burn down your house.
Greetings, Eduard

Hi Ian,

I'm similar to @eduard in that I'm only comfortable buying from Mouser, Digikey, etc.

I'm going to put a hold on scaling with Ultra Capacitors until I get my system up and running, so I'm in zero rush.

I noticed Mouser stocks the Skeleton Technologies brand (German HQ).

Skeleton product range doubles with 3 new modules and a 3.0V ultracapacitor with the highest specific energy on the market

Would the SCI3400 be an alternative if it becomes available on Mouser?

Right now Mouser only stocks (2022) the SCA3200 which doesn't have threads, but if the SCI3400 starts appearing...

SkelCap SCH / SCI / SCK / SCL Series Cells

The datasheet looks even better performance than the Maxwell 3000F UC
SCI3400:
ESR: 0.17mOhm
Capacitance: 3400F
Voltage: 2.8V

Will mouser keep them in stock?
Ian

Attachments

• SkelCap-datasheets.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Note: I'm just an end-user, so please take these comments with a grain / pinch of salt. Conduct your own diligence before purchasing any of these mentioned products.

If your in the market now for 3000F, the Eaton that was previously mentioned should work fine:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coiltronics-Eaton/XL60-2R7308T-R?qs=Sd2AGZv2AHmr8s4Arrqy2g%3D%3D

The Skeleton Technologies ultra-capacitor is more looking forward than looking backward at Maxwell ultra-capacitors. The Maxwells are an unknown because you don't know how they are sourced and their business spinoff structure is also an unknown. The Skeleton Technologies control the whole chain within Germany. They are the largest European manufacturer of ultra-capacitors and are funded by the European Investment Bank. So this should pretty much be a known and a known quality.

Trusted by leading
investors in the industry

We have invested over 90 million euros to build up manufacturing capacity to respond to the increasing demand for energy storage, driven by hybridization and electrification.
Largest ultracapacitor manufacturer in Europe

Our ISO 9001- and 14001-certified production facility in Grossröhrsdorf, Germany, is the most modern ultracapacitor factory in the world and largest of its kind in Europe. We are a trusted and qualified supplier to a number of global OEMs in automotive, transportation, and grid.
Ultracapacitor energy storage market leader in Europe

There are two threaded models that may fit with the UcPure, the SCL3000 and the SCI3400:

SCL3000:
1S ESR (DC): 0.23 mOhm
Capacitance: 3000F
Voltage: 2.85V

SCI3400:
1S ESR (DC): 0.21 mOhm
Capacitance: 3400F
Voltage: 2.85V

Currently on Mouser, there is only the non-threaded 3200F model backordered for January 2022:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...vlJZ7ncufA%2BlYuB5M2Majqaf6UqfiBo6K68ll5ndA==

I don't know if the threaded models will start appearing on Mouser. I just wanted to be prepared in case they do show up. The technology is supposed to be more advance because they use Graphene which allows for much faster charging?

In Europe, there are many more distributors. In North America, we only have Mouser and a solution provider:

Our Distributors

You can read more about the company here:

Skeleton Technologies' Newsroom

If you get paywalled, you can use the https://archive.today website to bypass the paywall (just copy and paste the website):

You will be redirected to a link like this:

https://archive.ph/TNC6s

So this is more for future planning than the now since I can wait, but if you can't wait the Eaton may be fine. I don't mind investing in Skeleton Technologies because it seems like you get at least a good decade with these products and the raw materials are safe.

So even a solution provider like Dimacred on the screenshot attachments below has high praise for Skeleton Technologies. Dimacred also carries Maxwell, etc.

Attachments

• diff.png
    diff.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 440
  • durable.png
    durable.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 424
  • SCL3000.png
    SCL3000.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 430
  • skoda.png
    skoda.png
    129 KB · Views: 420
  • dimacred.png
    dimacred.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 415
  • quality.png
    quality.png
    397.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I emailed sales at Skeleton’s tech asking them by when the SCI3400 would become available at the major wholesalers. This morning I received a reply that currently they are manufacturing these caps solely for large direct orders from industrial customers. He wrote that they “can't specify yet when we make it available for smaller quantities through wholesalers.” So nothing new there unfortunately.

I couldn’t help myself from asking what the MOQ would be. The answer probably won’t be useful to aspiring UcPure users, but who knows.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Ordered the small ones.

If there is a kind of terminal probably it is possible to make a threaded hole in it . IF you have the right tools and skills. Probably not for a big bolt but i guess M5 is biog enough.
greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• fifo toren 2.jpg
    fifo toren 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 250
Hi,

today managed to put some things together :))

StationPi-->rPi4 FifopI3-->ReclockPi via uFl to Buffalo3pro.

Music is playing with Roon and Audioplayer software on RPi is GentooPlayer.

In Gentooplayer I had to choose which DAC-hat I use. I choosed "Audiophonics Sabre 9028" as this gave me the highest output possibilities in Roon: PCM up tp 384 kHz and DSD (DOP!) up to 128.

Is there is no "native DSD" available in Roon for RPi/FifoPi3 ?

When there is no way to send native DSD what is the best way soundwise to set it up?:

DoP decoding to DSD enabled in FifoPi3 or disabled and then decoded in Buffalo DAC (ES9038pro)

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Last edited:
Hi,

today managed to put some things together :))

StationPi-->rPi4 FifopI3-->ReclockPi via uFl to Buffalo3pro.

Music is playing with Roon and Audioplayer software on RPi is GentooPlayer.

In Gentooplayer I had to choose which DAC-hat I use. I choosed "Audiophonics Sabre 9028" as this gave me the highest output possibilities in Roon: PCM up tp 384 kHz and DSD (DOP!) up to 128.

Is there is no "native DSD" available in Roon for RPi/FifoPi3 ?

When there is no way to send native DSD what is the best way soundwise to set it up?:

DoP decoding to DSD enabled in FifoPi3 or disabled and then decoded in Buffalo DAC (ES9038pro)

Native DSD only applies to USB streamer that attaches to a RPi. That's the limitation of Linux core. For GPIO, you have to use DoP.

Ian