A 'how to' for High Gloss Finishing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wrong, I misunderstood the premise and time line. The finish I use suggests a final cure period of 7 days prior to buffing out finish. :eek: Recoats can be as soon as 1 1/2 hours! Which I've done. 4 coats in one day.
You don't always have to wait more than a week to final buff / sand the last coat. Depends on many things, weather, chemicals, humidity, thickness of previous coats....ect.
Here's a link to some very nice Luthier work. Target Coatings, Inc. :: View topic - Custom Guitar Finished w/ EM6000

Beautiful electric guitar.

Ron
Very nice :)

Kareface,
I checked out your gallery today and you have done an impressive job on your HT. Congratulations on a well built listening room. Good quality and details on the pictures too. Very nice. One of your pictures on the TV shows what looks like a space scene, which movie was that?

Are your front speakers a Jon Marsh design? Natalie P?
The Daytons look familiar, I built a set of MTs for my daughter last Christmas. Very good sound for the $$$.

Ron

Kareface,
I checked out your gallery today and you have done an impressive job on your HT. Congratulations on a well built listening room. Good quality and details on the pictures too. Very nice. One of your pictures on the TV shows what looks like a space scene, which movie was that?
Thanks, I was really happy with the way everything turned out. The clip I think you're looking at is just a screen saver of various images I have on my HD.

Are your front speakers a Jon Marsh design? Natalie P?
The Daytons look familiar, I built a set of MTs for my daughter last Christmas. Very good sound for the $$$.

Ron
They are indeed. I've been really happy with the design. They are a great project to start out with and it really got me interested in building another pair.

Thanks for all the information in this thread. It has really helped me.

I'm currently in the process of painting two sonotubes. My first time attempting to spray paint.. They are primed with Dupont 1052R.

I sprayed one of the plates with a glossy black.

On the box it says Dupont Imron Elite 3.5 VOC P.U. Topcoat.

So I check the safety data sheet: http://sdstds.dupontrefinish.info/resources/ds_1/DOC/DATA/SDS/GB/EN/GB_EN_I-ELITEPB_DRE.pdf

Atleast I think it's that one, there is another similar but without the lead.
Does this paint contain polyurethane? Been giving it alot of thought lately. It says P.U. on the label. It's most likely short for poly urethane.. lol
I should call or mail Dupont and ask them..

Anyways, the thing I'm really curious about. I have wetsanded with 2000grit. It's really matt now. Is it ok to add some clear? Do I even need clear? I think that paint is singlestage. Basecoat and topcoat in one. They just named it a topcoat on the label.

Thanks. I will try laying some clear down on them.. I've heard its harder to spray but it is good practice.

Also found out dupont imron elite isnt polyurethane. Can just use regular gas filter :D

How do you guys fix pinholes? I just fixed some with a syringe. But I put to much down in there so looks like i have blobs all over my plates now.. Should sand down and spray another layer of black.

Houston, we have a problem...

I applied some poly yesterday, and after 24 hours, I'm seeing discoloration of the black!

After all this work, I'll still take it back down to bare wood (again) and start over to get a smooth, clear finish, but can anyone tell me what is causing this?

Attachments

• IMG_5938 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5938 (Large).JPG
    165 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_5942 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5942 (Large).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_5943 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5943 (Large).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 419
Looks like a reaction to the epoxy top coat and the sub structure paint.
From the MSDS;
"Solubility > Partially soluble in the following materials: water."

I've seen paint discolor like that when exposed to water prior to finish coat.

It is, and we have, recommended to stay within product lines for compatibility issues.

Very sorry to see that happen after all your hard work. We all feel your pain.

Ron

I just discovered this thread after many failed attempts of achieving glossy piano black finish just by painting. I could not paint too many layers as dust and particles start accumulating on the surface, and I did not think of actually finishing it with sand and polish! Brilliant!

I however, I hate spraying. I have a small garage with poor ventilation, and most of the sprayed paint ends up in my lungs and sourroundings. With a simple brush or roller, I can achieve surface without "orange peel" or any other texture, simply by adjusting the paint density by mixing it with white spirit. Provided the density is right and paint is slow drying type, it cures all brush marks perfectly and does not run.

Second, I am thinking about simply painting few coats of black paint, instead of clear coat, then sand and polish. Any reasons this should not work?

Farecla G3 is a cutting compound if you can find it over there. 3M do some as well. Most of them need to be used with a machine though.

This is what I found, posing together with first brush layer on Hatt MkIII. Looks like it might work. I am not planning to put more than 3 layers, it should be thicker when applied with brush anyway...

Attachments

• hatt gloss.jpg
    hatt gloss.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 411
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.