500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post (.. i think). I am curious how the 125asx2 sounds? I are thinking about buying the Vocopro Feather AMP for @$100 and gutting it for the ICEPower unit. I will remove the gain controls and put in a C13 Power connector. I will plop it in a rack mount enclosure. It will be replacing a Rotel 981 power amp (130 watts RMS per channel). If I really like the sound I can build two making each amp mono. For a pre amp I currently use a Rotel RA02 integrated amplifier using the preamp stage only. Currently I have some large Phase Tech's 10.5 and also some HiVI 2.2DIY I alternate between. Am I silly for doing this or is it even a worth while project? I appreciate any and all responses. Thank you. :wave2:

Hi, the most important questions for us outside the US, is it possible to change the unit to 230V mode? Also, is the fan always on, and if so, it it possible to manually switch it off?

The module has dual voltage, you have to switch a jumper.

In my country we also use 230 volts. Once I receive mine I will answer your other questions, but i don't think the fan is always on... icepower modules should be cool enough... obviously it will depend on usage conditions.

... If I really like the sound I can build two making each amp mono. :wave2:

I just got a pair of 500ASPs and really am impressed. These modules are 10 years later design, and I'm thinking they sound better. They output about the same power in BTL as the 500ASP in half the physical size.

For mono BTL output, the 125 module needs a balanced input. If you have single ended, you would need a single ended to balanced preamp, e.g. a DRV134 based board. I have single ended, so I am just getting two FA-500s and leaving them in the original cases, with the included preamps. These amps were originally about $325, so I would hope they have a decent preamp board.

Thanks, also one more question. I see everyone is mostly interested in the bridge mode or mono application of this module, but would this amp work well in a "classic" stereo setup with an unbalanced USB DAC and some 4-8 Ohm speakers? My DAC has the following specs:

Line Output
Type : Unbalanced RCA
Level : ±3Vpp max
Impedance : 200Ω

Thanks, also one more question. I see everyone is mostly interested in the bridge mode or mono application of this module, but would this amp work well in a "classic" stereo setup with an unbalanced USB DAC and some 4-8 Ohm speakers? My DAC has the following specs:

Line Output

I am no expert, but the Vocopro FA-500 comes with a preamp for single ended signal, so you should not have any problem there.

We still don't know which preamp is, but as hifiamps told a few post before, this amp had a USD$300+ price, so it should have a good enough preamp... will confirm once I receive mine.

I just got a pair of 500ASPs and really am impressed. These modules are 10 years later design, and I'm thinking they sound better. They output about the same power in BTL as the 500ASP in half the physical size.

For mono BTL output, the 125 module needs a balanced input. If you have single ended, you would need a single ended to balanced preamp, e.g. a DRV134 based board. I have single ended, so I am just getting two FA-500s and leaving them in the original cases, with the included preamps. These amps were originally about $325, so I would hope they have a decent preamp board.

I had been looking at modules on parts express but they seemed a little more than I was willing to pay at this time. I was also considering building a Nelson Pass amp but the output would be too low for my current needs. I just pulled the trigger and the amp Feather Amp off of eBay from Beach Audio. As a teenager I loved the B&O brand in the 70's and 80's. Hopefully I can replace the Rotel Power amplifier as it gets hot and my wife thinks it is ugly. Thank you for the reply. :)

It will be interesting to see the preamp design. It is primarily an instrument amp, so it has balanced inputs, but it also has a front panel single ended stereo "MP3" input. I suppose the provided RCA to TRS adapters connect the inverting input to ground. In BTL mode, the two channels are mixed to mono with the volume controls.

Line Output

It would work perfectly, it’s my setup except that my DAC output impedance is 500 ohm.

Ciao
Eric

I cancelled the order after studying the specs and it could not replace what I have. The amp is really rated at 60 watts RMS into 8 ohms according to ICEPower website. :mad:

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 11.00.51 AM.png

I cancelled the order after studying the specs and it could not replace what I have. The amp is really rated at 60 watts RMS into 8 ohms according to ICEPower website. :mad:

View attachment 778565

60W as a stereo amp, but 225W BTL. Just use them as monoblocks. In my experience, monoblocks sound better. That's why I'm using it BTL.

The data sheet you show seems to have a typo. The pdf data sheet page 8 shows the minimum load impedence in BTL mode is 3 ohms, not 6 ohms. It has minimum asymetric SE loading of 2 & 6 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.