500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
60W as a stereo amp, but 225W BTL. Just use them as monoblocks. In my experience, monoblocks sound better. That's why I'm using it BTL.

The data sheet you show seems to have a typo. The pdf data sheet page 8 shows the minimum load impedence in BTL mode is 3 ohms, not 6 ohms. It has minimum asymetric SE loading of 2 & 6 ohms.

I got the screen shot directly off the ICEPower website today. I was looking for a replacement of a Rotel Power amp that pushes 130 WRMS per channel. There are newer ICEPower modules available like the 1200AS2 but are too expensive for me at this time. I am looking forward to the review of your mono blocks. If you are happy with them I may possibly reconsider. Thanks for your replies. :)

The argument is that music doesn't require continuous power. Also, the 125 has better continuous output BTL into 8 ohms (200W) vs 4 ohms (70W). Nelson Pass says, it's the first watt that matters most. And 0.002% THD+N at 1W into 8 ohms is very good. Note that distortion is greater at higher frequencies, like all Class D amps.

I got the screen shot directly off the ICEPower website today. I was looking for a replacement of a Rotel Power amp that pushes 130 WRMS per channel. There are newer ICEPower modules available like the 1200AS2 but are too expensive for me at this time. I am looking forward to the review of your mono blocks. If you are happy with them I may possibly reconsider. Thanks for your replies. :)

I’ve already built a dual monoblock amp with 125asx2 modules as well a stereo amp with a single module. They sound fantastic and the monoblocks have plenty of headroom. Look back a few pages and you will see my builds.

Also the vodos I ordered arrived last night so I’ll have some listening impressions later today.

I’ve already built a dual monoblock amp with 125asx2 modules as well a stereo amp with a single module. They sound fantastic and the monoblocks have plenty of headroom. Look back a few pages and you will see my builds.

Also the vodos I ordered arrived last night so I’ll have some listening impressions later today.

It was your thread that interested me initially. :) Thank you for your reply. I look forward to your listening impressions.

60W vs 125W, could you tell the difference? But of course it depends on your need. For me 40-50W is more than enough.

My 115 pound Phase Tech's (PC 10.5) suck all the power they can get. I have clipped lesser powered amps and replaced tweeters on these sound pigs. In my forties I thought it was pretty neat. Well into my mid fifties I am enjoying some book shelf speakers (hivi 2.2 DIY - Swans - Frank Hale) that require much less power. I will probably get a sub once I sell the PT's (currently available on Craigslist in Buffalo).

One thought is to use three amps (two mono blocks) with an electronic crossovers (marchand out of Rochester) and build a passive sub.:goodbad:

For me it shows that Newegg still has stock. It's this same eBay seller Beach Audio out of Brooklyn, NY. It says more than 10 available. But $46.29 shipping to Austria. You get the volume discount pricing at Newegg.

hi

still to much!

i tried the ebay..yes its available but:
188,10 2 pcs
74,90 shipping
77,02 import charges

340 Euro...

reading again this thread:ICE-Power-50ASX2 Volume control

you need the RTX buffer because of the low (8k input impedance)

chris

Hey menlobob, have you had a chance to listen to your amps? My amps are arriving on Tuesday, and I hope the preamp boards are quiet and transparent. I am currently using an Allo Boss to drive my 500ASPs. The TI PCM5122 DAC has 1k output impedence, and doesn't seem to have any difficulty driving them.

I finally received my Feather Amp.

I received late at night so I could not make any extended listening.

It's build quality it's quite good (Made in Taiwan not China). It's indeed an ICEpower 125asx2 module.

I only took it apart to switch the pins to 220Volts (default is 110Volts).

Both input (3.5mm jack and 1/4 TRS) both go to the pre-amp board.

The fan is a 40mm 24v 20mm thick and it's not always on.

I am uploading pictures of the preamp, later I will upload pictures of the whole amp disassembled.

photo sharing

Looking forward to the expert's comments on the preamp.

Last edited:
Here are full size pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_200856.jpg
    IMG_20190902_200856.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20190902_200730.jpg
    IMG_20190902_200730.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for the high res photos. The opamp is an NJM4580 which based on descriptions in DIYaudio is an "also ran" to "ghetto blaster". Could do better. Replacing it may be a challenge, because of the surface mount size, and finding replacements like an OPA-2132 in the same package. But, I'm no expert in swapping surface mount chips. We may be stuck with it. Hope it sounds good in the circuit.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.