500W of ICEpower for USD$100, deal or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ICEpower data sheet page 28 says "Important! A minimum clearance of 12 mm. around the module is required for safety and ventilation reasons."
32.6 + 12 = 44.6mm and 1U rack height is 44.45mm. Close enough?

1U would be an awesome thin profile.

Yes, it's true 1U is too close. My point was that 2U is good enough... I purchased a 2U chassis from The diyAudio Store - DIY amplifier kits, chassis, and parts, Slimline model...

The data sheets on the IcePower site have very accurate distortion measurement graphs. You can see the point at which the amp starts clipping at both 4 and 8 ohm.

Well, I am not an expert but, should i read "Po"?...

125asx2 BTL:
Output power @ 1%THD+N 20Hz < f < 20kHz (AES17 measurement filter) 6 = 450W

500asp:
Output power @ 0.1%THD+N 10Hz < f < 20kHz (AES17 measurement filter 8) = 500W

From that point of view, the 500asp is more powerful at much less distortion...

Looking at the graphs the 125 in BTL does about 380w at .1% into 4R. The 500 goes right to 500w. But what are you driving that needs 500w? The 125 is a newer design and cleaner at low power than the 500. Plus $100 is hard to beat.

Wow, didnt know it was a newer design...

Right, I wont be driving anything that needs 500W for sure... well I will evaluate the possibility to sell those 500ASP and get a couple of 125asx2.

Wow, didnt know it was a newer design...

Right, I wont be driving anything that needs 500W for sure... well I will evaluate the possibility to sell those 500ASP and get a couple of 125asx2.

I’m currently driving 2x12 Eminence KappaLite bass bins with 125s in BTL. Can’t be in the room at more than 60% volume. Unless your speakers are extremely inefficient or have really low impedance dips the 125s should be plenty for home use.

The 500ASP should be a bit more powerful and a bit happier with low-impedance loads than a 125ASX in BTL-mode, but unless you're driving a sub at high volume or only playing sine waves then i'm not sure you're notice.

Soundwise I would probably bet on the 125ASX, but bear in mind it has been a long time since I did a good comparison - and the 500ASPs were definitely the best sounding ASPs to my ears :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.