The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

I downloaded the latest HFD ( V4.97) as I wanted to see how it works and to just play/practice with it.
For a day it worked, with the measurements made with its' recorder (I couldn't import any other measurements as they are are all in .txt format).
The next day when opening the program, I got the "out of memory" notification. Even after uninstalling and installing again.
What might be happening?
I come from VituixCAD and am eager to learn and see how this Hypex SW works - I don't actually own any FA series hardware (yet). Does the HFD work "fully" only with the actual hardware connected/recognized?
Thanks.

Attachments

• hypex.png
    hypex.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 119
Hi Draki,
Not sure on the error, but there should be no problem to open the software and play with the filter designer without any hardware connected.

Unfortunately HFD doesn't include the ability to import simple frequency response data, and the built-in measurement system is rather basic, so it's still best to measure using more capable software like REW or ARTA, and then process the measurements and design using software like VituixCAD, then simply transfer the filter information over from VituixCAD to HFD.

I concur fully. That would be the way to be done (if it comes to that, meaning getting FA electronics at some point). BUT, to do that one has to be confident that such hick-ups are not happening. Say you have done all the filter design in V2 and then the HFD program won't open !!! This is giving me the scares...as good as the hardware is.

The program won't open at all. It freezes at this point and can't enter. Restarting / reinstalling several times. :confused:
I suggest you contact directly Hypex support. If they get enough complaints that it's not working, they might eventually put some effort into improving it. I complained about another problem some time ago, but no fix was promised yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have an opinion or information on the position Hypex holds on firmware and HFD suite long term support? I understand that they are a successfully company and actively support their products right now, but what about in 5 years? 10 years? 20? What if they go out of business? Has anyone asked them what would happen to their hardware if their software is no longer maintained?

Unlike some electronics which are essentially disposable (i.e., phones), speakers can be a lifetime possession. I don't expect Hypex to support a product they sell now for an infinite amount of time, but I do expect them to at least have a position on whether or not their product will become a paperweight if they suddenly disappear, are acquired by a group with other interests, or discontinue their plate amps. This can be addressed by making firmware/HFD open source, allowing third-party software, etc...

There is plenty of good examples where poor or discontinued software support can ruin perfectly good hardware, and this question is my only hesitation before I purchase two FA123s for a project I'm about to start.

Last edited:
You really should ask that question to the only part able to answer.
But have a look at it like this - these are OEM modules supplied to other manufacturers - their (and Hypex) business is at stake if suddenly left unsupported with no SW.
As of current HFD is still regularly updated - and gradually maturing.

Save a copy of the software as long as you like, you can still have it and use it even if Hypex closes their doors tomorrow. I wouldn't expect any support for hardware or software once the product is end of life, ie no longer produced and sold.

This isn't necessarily possible because operating systems evolve which can mean desktop applications might not run reliably or be able to interface via physical interfaces if they're not kept up to date with the components that the OS is made up of.

Does anyone have crosstalk numbers for FusionAmps? I just read in a magazine that some headphone amps can have channel separation as low as 30 dB, which is not much. When talking about active speakers where channel separation is between bass driver and a tweeter, it's a lot more important. Yes everyone should use a protection cap, but this is still useful information.

Hi Guys

I'm about to make a pair of large active 3-way monitors.

I have my sights on two FA123. But before I commit: are there other speaker plate amps of high enough quality, with DSP and around the same budget that I should consider?

Kind regards
Mads
FA123 is a good choice for high audio quality in a plate amp, and possibly the only available option for a 3 channel plate. Hypex software for the DSP however is very mediocre.

The alternative I would look at is the miniDSP plate amps. They are only 2 channel, but you can always take a hybrid approach with a basic passive filter between midrange and tweeter, then DSP for the crossover between mid and woofer and response shaping. The miniDSP uses Icepower modules, so not of the ncore calibre but not the worst, and these plates have nice software with ethernet connectivity so you can adjust them over your home network.

Hypex software for the DSP however is very mediocre.
The Hypex Filter Design software (HFD) has a cumbersome user interface. It is not difficult to learn, but every action requires multiple mouse clicks and key strokes. This makes it slow and, like I said, cumbersome. There seems to be no way to import a filter from another software into the HFD. For example, I use VituixCad to develop and refine my DSP filters, and I have to manually input the filter parameters into HFD. For a 3-way system with a total of 15 to 20 biquads, this takes 10 - 15 minutes.

HFD has a feature to measure driver responses, and this seems like the weakest area of the software and the source of most frustration. The best approach to painlessly using HFD is to ignore this feature. Use REW or ARTA to make your measurements, import that data into VCad, develop your filter in VCad, then manually input the filter into HFD.

I use a pair of FA253's, and I now own a pair of FA123's which will go into my new project. The production quality of the amps has been very good. The sound quality of the Hypex system is excellent in my opinion. This alone trumps any HFD software quirks for me...

j.

Reactions: 7 users