I AM D v200, Fx Audio d802, optimisation and TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Previously known as: MyNaim
Joined 2009
Hi Olly

What frequency is the tcxo and did you just swap the xo? Please share the site where you got it from.

I've ordered my v200 and getting my linear psu and other parts ready while waiting for the amp to arrive.

cheers

Hi Bernie7/Etienne,

freq is 12.288Mhz
got it from ebay Vanguard TCXO 0 1ppm 12 288MHz Ultra Precision Golden Oscillator | eBay

Put it on a buffer module CD Player High Stability Clock Buffer Module No TCXO Included Assembled | eBay

Cheers
Olly

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Sure I will try it :)
Have you used the standard version ie 1.5A or the bigger 2A ?

Cheers
Olly

I already had 4 of the LL1694/1.5A version. If you model the PSU in PSUD2 software then you can simulate the peak current draw. The inductance will be lower for the 2A version, personally I wouldn't go there unless necessary.

Here's my latest PSU (parts bin special):
PSUD.JPG

Got tips for modelling in PSUD2 if you need.

Cheers,
Mike

PSU philosophy here: Flesh And Blood The Reichert 300B Article By Herb Reichert

Yes, I know it's about a tube amp; read the bit on the PSU and think conceptually.

"The power supply is everything in these little amps and it also seems to be the area where designers agree the least."

"Low impedance and minimum storage gives fast recovery and fine texture to the sound. Remember, most amps under 2000 watts are running at or near overload. Let's make them sound unstressed at overload. Then the music will sound unmechanical."

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Built the "parts bin" PSU shown above. With resistive loads on the output, voltages match simulation exactly.

It needs at least 160mA current draw to behave like a proper LCLC supply.

I'm "currently" (ha ha) running two 330R 25W resistors permanently across the final cap to ensure this is (nearly) met even without a load. Also to discharge the caps upon power down.

Constant current load:
PSUD.JPG

Resistive load:
PSUD2.JPG

Listening tests soon!

Cheers,
Mike

Well unfortunately the new PSU is better than the last one.
I say unfortunately because it's bigger, heavier and more expensive.

The last PSU (Connexelectronic SMPS with a Lundahl LL1694 choke) is still very good and slightly laid back. Great for movies.

However the new PSU is spooky good. Not going to go all "audiophile" on you, it's simply better and worth the effort.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Olly,

Could you confirm this is the way you have connected your new clock :
- Removing C378, C379 (and the old crystal, of course)
- Connecting buffer module output to right-hand pad of C378
- Connecting buffer module ground to right-hand pad of C379

Also, how did you feed the buffer module ?

Cheers,
Etienne

Last edited:
Joined 2009

The last PSU (Connexelectronic SMPS with a Lundahl LL1694 choke) is still very good and slightly laid back. Great for movies.

However the new PSU is spooky good. Not going to go all "audiophile" on you, it's simply better and worth the effort.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Again thanks for sharing ;)
Just ordered a LL1694 to add in my PSU. Will add it with a nice MKP.

If that works well, will go for the full monty (ie your PSU).
Of course I will report.

Quite impatient actually

Cheers
Olly

Joined 2009
Hi Olly,

Could you confirm this is the way you have connected your new clock :
- Removing C378, C379 (and the old crystal, of course)
- Connecting buffer module output to right-hand pad of C378
- Connecting buffer module ground to right-hand pad of C379

Also, how did you feed the buffer module ?

Cheers,
Etienne

Hi Etienne,

yep that's ok, I will add a join between the 2 pads of C379 (instead of the cap actually) and remove the resistor between C378 and C379.
That would do the trick.

Cheers
Olly

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Again thanks for sharing ;)
Just ordered a LL1694 to add in my PSU. Will add it with a nice MKP.

If that works well, will go for the full monty (ie your PSU).
Of course I will report.

Quite impatient actually

Cheers
Olly

Great stuff Olly! Looks like you and me are the only ones surfing the big waves.

Have you downloaded PSUD2 yet?

Cheers,
Mike

Joined 2009
Hi Mike,

Not sure why but that's cool we have the full waves just for the 2 of us :)

Started to read the PSUD2 web page when I bumped into the intro

PSU Designer II is designed to help you with the design of simple linear (unregulated) mains power supplies, as often found in tube amplifiers.

Are you sure an unregulated PSU is what we are looking for ?

BTW half waves are possibly the best way to go :D:D

Hi Mike,

Not sure why but that's cool we have the full waves just for the 2 of us :)

Started to read the PSUD2 web page when I bumped into the intro

Are you sure an unregulated PSU is what we are looking for ?

BTW half waves are possibly the best way to go :D:D

That's a terrible pun. You are officially off my Christmas card list.

Every power supply is regulated to some extent. The designer has to decide WHERE it is regulated and what happens after the regulator. I've tried various approaches on these amplifiers and I think you'll enjoy the journey.

Getting a PSU to work with an amplifier is like getting an amplifier to work with a speaker. One affects the other and sometimes you just gotta try sh1t out.

Happy with the linear PSU but when I build the triamp setup I think the linear PSU will be for the tweeter.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the tip on using a common mode choke. I put a generic CMC right after my LPS and the highs did smoothen quite noticeably.

My amp (without Cmedia and Wifii) which I ordered direct from China just arrived; it is v200.6 :D

Thanks for the tip on using a common mode choke. I put a generic CMC right after my LPS and the highs did smoothen quite noticeably.

My amp (without Cmedia and Wifii) which I ordered direct from China just arrived; it is v200.6 :D

Cool! Just to be clear, the Lundahl is a differential choke, not a common mode choke. However, due to the leakage inductance, it also rejects common mode.

KISS 134: Noise Reduction with Lundahl’s Double-Coil Cut-C Core Chokes: a pictorial essay by Andre Jute

Cheers,
mike

Well my 2 V200.7 amplifiers arrived today. Incredibly I now have 3 identical amplifiers. :D

Unfortunately the casework on one of the amplifiers is twisted by over 2mm. This means the amplifier rocks on its feet.

While the PCB manufacture is beyond reproach, it appears that I.AM.D have problems with assembly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.