I AM D v200, Fx Audio d802, optimisation and TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Previously known as: MyNaim
Joined 2009
Don't thing this is something to do with language barrier, I experienced the same thing when I asked them some information on the original PSU.
Later when they created the new linear PSU, they were absolutely able to describe it.

Will see for the V110. It's supposed to be shipped already, will tell you :)
No way I can accept a V200 instead.

If you strugged to find a proper V200, I can have a look here whether I can find for you a cheap second hand. Let me know if I can help.

Will try a second time the new clock with the new information you gave me. Will report if that works.

Cheers
Olly

Thanks Olly, if you could find me a genuine V200.6 (or two!) that would be great!

Fallback position is to use 3x TAS5548EVM boards A 96KHz PWM Modulator with integrated ASRC and Audio Processor Evaluation Module/Board (TAS5558/48) - TAS5548EVM - TI Tool Folder and build my own output stage. I have 3x TAS5614A chips... advantage here is that it gives full access to the TAS5548 control registers so I can play around with parameters like modulation etc. Downside is it loses memory upon powerdown and you have to hook the PC back up. I can get around this with a UPS!!!

I can't believe that no one has made a commercial TAS5548/TAS5614A amp with I2S input.
Best regards,
Mike

hi Camelator,
i have questions regarding the i2s input :
1. is it really better than rca or toslink ?
2. if better, what are the key points to make it work properly?
- short connection? how long max?

I have 2 QA100 used in biamp. I use rca and toslink inputs.
QA100 have a i2s input, thus if i2s is better than rca, why not try it.
I have a upnp board with a i2s output, thus i plan to test this output instead of the rca i use now.
my setup consists of 2 QA100 in biamp, thus I need to feed both qa100 on i2s input, both sync of course vs the upnp pcb.
how can i send data from the board to both qa100 thru i2s ?
is it ok if I built an rj45 cable in V design : with 1 plug connected to the board and the 2 output plugs of the "V" each connected to a qa100 i2s input?
is this simple design enough to split an i2s connection towards 2 FDAs ?
thks for your input.
Rgds

OK managed to get I2S to work on the V200.7.

Despite no help from Icairn Audio I managed to figure out how to do this.

The AUX input is configured differently from the V200.6 but uses the same chip. Or at least a pin with the same pinout. It's a Burr Brown PCM1803 ADC chip.

So now that the V200.7 no longer has the I2S connector on the side you have to do some very fine soldering.

Connection points are pins 4, 8, and 12 on the 74HC253D, and R1 beside TAS5548.

So now I just need one more amplifier. I'll place another order. Hopefully they haven't changed the design in the last two weeks :rolleyes:

hi,
yes the i2s its really better than the spdif !! no problem for rj45 in v. use sstp cable. one wire per pair.

I defenitly agree. With good implementation I2S is far better than SPDIF or USB.

But:
as always in electronics, nothing is better than a good implementation.

For example, my Raspberry PI I2S DAC is not better than my PC with USB DAC (same DAC technology).

I think it is because there is a poor bus bandwidth on raspberry side, and the DAC is driven by the raspberry.
But I am as good as many of you in electronics.

Previously known as: MyNaim
Joined 2009
OK managed to get I2S to work on the V200.7.

Despite no help from Icairn Audio I managed to figure out how to do this.

The AUX input is configured differently from the V200.6 but uses the same chip. Or at least a pin with the same pinout. It's a Burr Brown PCM1803 ADC chip.

So now that the V200.7 no longer has the I2S connector on the side you have to do some very fine soldering.

Connection points are pins 4, 8, and 12 on the 74HC253D, and R1 beside TAS5548.

So now I just need one more amplifier. I'll place another order. Hopefully they haven't changed the design in the last two weeks :rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you managed to find this blo.dy I2S input :)

I also eventually managed to get the new clock working on my V200. Not sure this brought me anything. Possibly a tad more liquid, not sure.

Thanks you Mike and Globulelg, your help was greatly appreciated ;)

Yep I'm not sure that there's too much to be gained on the latest amplifiers by my DIY efforts.

When you look at the level of detail design that has gone into them, playing with regulators and clocks is a bit of a cr@pshoot, and easy to screw up.

So the only mods I'll be making on future amplifiers is:
- removing the output filter
- connecting I2S

These are the only mods that gave me a consistent improvement (or so I believe!).

Hi, I don't have V200 any more, I have QA100 and plan to test its I2S input. For 1st testing, I'lll use my USB>spdif interface : Gustard U12. As it has an I2S output on HDMI cable, I'll join the U12 to QA100 with a cable HDMI>RJ45 plugs. Regarding the I2S input of the QA100 & b4 strating, this is question I asked to QLS-Hifi the manufacturer of QA100, and it reply : Question : "Could you please help me. I would need info regarding the I2S input, that I don't use at the moment and would like to use : - is it a better input than the other one (because data & clock are separate) ? knowing that i2s requires short & shield cables - on the PCB, there is a second I2S input (named I2S-2 on the PCB) : what is this 2nd I2S ? is it better to use the I2S-2 or the main one ?" Answer from QLS-Hifi : "Yes, i2s requires short & shield cables, and It is only a I2S input, This I2S-2 is internal test points, It is same port and RJ45, I do not think the I2S must be better, because It is no isolation with player, " Conclusion : even the manufacturer can't tell I2S is better... maybe because they never even tried it... So, as you mentioned I2S sounds very good on V200, I'll try on the QA100. Rgds

Just a warning for anyone ordering the LPS200 power supply:

With 240V/50Hz input, it outputs 38.1V unloaded and 37.7V loaded. This exceeds the 35V rating of the amplifier capacitors...

So make sure you check this with ICAIRN before ordering.

I'm going to gut mine and install my Connexelectronic SMPS300R power supply.
To be honest, the LPS200 PSU for US$100 is good value even as a prewired case for the SMPS300R. I wonder if ICAIRN can sell it without the transformer?

Last edited:
Here's proof of the overvoltage problem with the LPS200 PSU, with a 240V mains voltage:

WP_20151114_005.jpg

Here's why. Note that the transformer is different to that shown on ICAIRN Audio's product page. On the product page it shows a 20V-0-20V transformer.

Also note this transformer is rated for 225V on the primary. It hums.

WP_20151114_009.jpg

Front panel of the PSU. You have to connect an auxiliary supply here, 16VDC max.
Fortunately the Connexelectronic SMPS300R has a 13VDC aux supply.

WP_20151114_008.jpg

There's a good reason why I have skewed the PCB like this.

Unfortunately the Connexelectronic PCB's don't have enough room on the edges to locate in the PCB slots in the case.
And the mounting holes are unfortunately placed.

Skewing it like this allows use of the PCB slots (to locate two corners), and the other two corners are held down using the 2 standoffs from the (now redundant) LPS rectifier PCB.

WP_20151114_019.jpg

Final shot. 24V and change, exactly as promised by Connexelectronic. Dead quiet.

Nice to have a product that delivers as promised :rolleyes:

WP_20151114_016.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.