I AM D v200, Fx Audio d802, optimisation and TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mikey,
That's a very tasty OB you have there, congrats! Do you have a thread on them?

Thanks! No thread yet on the speakers. However they're really simple and sound GREAT!

Using a MiniDSP 2x8 as equaliser/crossover. Hacked into the I2S and feeding this to an I.AM.D V200.7.

EQ accounts for the baffle rolloff and suppresses a resonance at 7.5kHz.

I've posted earlier about sourcing the baffles, they're a repro bent ply coffee table ;)

Highly recommended. My big OB's are still in storage (dual 15" + dual Audax PR170M0 + Beyma CP21/F) because these little OB's do everything so nicely and inconspicuously. Imaging is unreal and they are just so natural it's uncanny.

Supported below 50Hz with a sub but you can get away without it. I should sell these...

Cheers,
Mike

Ok, the latest upgrade!

to upgrade your power supply for Fx Audio d802 or any other amplifier.

get these two capacitors NOVER 50V 10000uF 85 degrees

Attachments

• s-1_zdEyILw.jpg
    s-1_zdEyILw.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Same here.

I am using Beyma CP21/F tweeter , I have run it filterless before - but only on 18V...

...it runs warm but no problem (rated 50W, professional driver)...

For sensitive tweeter you can use a resistor divider, this will reduce the switching frequency heat dissipation in the tweeter so you can still run without output filter.

I will try this tomorrow on the CP21/F.

I believe the switching frequency works like "dither" on the magnet and makes ferrite magnet drivers sound like Alnico/Neo drivers. I'm happy believing this :)

Eugene,
V200.7 and later do not have that problem. They are currently shipping V200.9.

Be careful with recommending a 36V supply. The power caps are rated at 35V.

Be careful with recommending the LPS200 power supply. Mine put out 38V. There are better options.

Do you have one of these amplifiers?

Cheers,
Mike

I'm just looking at the Icairn/Aliexpress web page for these amps now (in advance of mine arriving) and although it is a bit difficult to read the case seems to have printed on it a power supply voltage range of 15->42V. I wonder if they have changed the caps or if it's simply misleading, or if I have misread it.

Nice work! So you think D310 sounds better than V200?

Cheers,
Mike

As I now have both the v200 and d802 I can offer another comparison. The v200 isn't a bad amp at all, but the d802, (while lacking analogue input and headphone output and a bit less powerful) is clearly better and more involving - at least to my ears :). That is providing you turn its DSP off as otherwise the magic is killed stone dead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.