Chip Amp Photo Gallery

The power switch is from a PC XT power supply, I drilled a 1mm hole in the front of the push button and fitted a surface mount LED from a mobile phone in it attached with very thin wires from an old turntable.

Sounds very similar to my other LM3886 GC’s
The case is from an old ICL computer and has been under the house for 10 years.
All bits are recycled except for the TX, input/output connectors, the LM3886 (thanks NS) and the bits on the PCB.
The split/dual volume control & knob was the Mic. volume from a Sony cassette deck.
10 years ago before everyone was freaked out about liability I was given heaps of great telecom and main frame computer equipment so most of what I make is from this huge resource.

FastEddy
We received the LM4702 assemblies & blank boards in less than a weak from china and the build quality is excellent.
I have not tried them yet but will post on the LM4702 thread when I do.

Happy New Year to All

My first try at a point to point GC (LM3875) finished today (except for timber finishing & perhaps DC protection)
PS is 1 or 2 24v 30va or 50va Christmas light transformers.
I purchased new 30va TX (with 260 lamps) for $6.00AU and 50va (with 450 lamps) for $12.00AU CHEEP.
Audio quality is very open with incredible detail, It may not be as warm as some GC’s I have built but I still like the sound very much.
Changing transformers only increases the output power, I can not hear any difference in the sound.

Photos:
The case parts

Attachments

• lm3875gc parts rs 008.jpg
    lm3875gc parts rs 008.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 5,925
I had fun making the front LED it is a single strand of 0.5mm fiber optic from my Christmas tree super glued to the face of a mobile phone surface mount green LED (TINY) you can not see it on the front if the power is off.

Attachments

• lm3875gc led rs 021.jpg
    lm3875gc led rs 021.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5,319
VLSI: " ... The case is from an old ICL computer ..."

Too bad. Any ideas on obtaining a similar case? (I'm after a 1U rack mountable case with depth around 12" to 18", hopefully with very few marks or holes in the front panel.)
:confused:

BTW: IMOP, your outstanding chrome beauty is a marvelous rendition of a chip amp and wins the honorable mention if not the second place prize ... right after the very attractive and well thought out wooden masterpiece you just finished!

STK Amp

Very simple amp to build.
It was a pleasure.
Input selector built in.
Left and right balance/volume controls.
300 VA + 20,000 MFD per channel.
Soft on and off, no need for dethump relays.
5 amp fuse protected. Although they did glow red hot when driving 100Hz into 4 ohms at full power. (They did blow after a prolonged period).

Attachments

• 100_1193.jpg
    100_1193.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 5,727
recently completed LM4780 monoblocks

Hi, here are some photos of my audiosector LM4780 amps. I built monoblocks (1 lm470 in parallel) with separate power supplies so i could experiment with different configurations (biamp, bridge, use power supplies for other chip amps, power L, R, and surrounds, etc.)

SNB11160.JPG

SNB11022.JPG

SNB11127.JPG

SNB11121.JPG

SNB11127.JPG

SNB11132.JPG

SNB11133.JPG

SNB11136.JPG

SNB11143.JPG

SNB11155.JPG

SNB11151.JPG

i am presently designing a matching preamp that will look something like this:

preamp case.jpg

i would especially like to thank peter daniel for all his help, and Jim hahn for his guidance in the machine shop.