Chip Amp Photo Gallery

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FastEddy said:
I have it on good authority that Apple and their third party peripheral makers regularily review "what's happening" here at DIYAudio.com ... both Steves included.

If indeed the Steves (or their proxies) are watching, iTunes (both store & ap) need to support 24/96 & 24/192, and the store needs to move towards supporting Apple Lossless downloads.

dave

Off topic / music quality

" ... iTunes (both store & ap) need to support 24/96 & 24/192 ..."

Yes, they do need to ... same with Amazon.com, et al = no specifics about the differences and only occasional mentions of music disc and video disc specifications.

This is basically a problem with the music publishers, not necessarily Apple or iTunes ... as it is possible to obtain 24bit/48k, 96k and even 192k quality and play it back through iTunes, although you are correct that squirting it through the Apple LossLess scenario does "degrade" the result. (Playing multichannel 24bit/96k or better music through iTunes and a true 24bit/96k or better DAC does not degrade the results.)

The only way the mass marketeers are ever going to speak of specifications is if folks like us DIYers email and blog them, insisting that the better specs be made public.

The best way to do this is with reviews at places like Amazon. (The folks over at AudioAsylum.com do this, but not enough.)

Example: Cyndi Lauper's video DVD "At Last ... Live" = the audio tracks are significantly better quality than the same on CD ("At Last"). Not only is the performance better on the live DVD, the audio quality is significantly improved by because of the wider bandwidth (48k v. 44k & Euro 96k). (The "region 2", European versions are even better ... compare amazon.com [16bit CD & DVD], amazon.co.uk [24bit SACD & DVD], amazon.de [Sony 24bit SACD & 24bit DVD/PAL])

To compound the problem there are some publishers who actually produce overly compressed, poorly mixed CD versions in order to make their alternate more expensive media sound better ... Sony being the most notable offender of this: Poor CDs but decent SACDs and okay DVDs but better "blue ray" discs. (Witness Bob Dylan's published left handed complaints about the Sony's production values in Rolling Stone Magazine.)

The discriminating, knowledgable consumer rules, but is not heard from ... yet ... 24bit/96k multichannel discs can be found. Best advise: rip the SACD and Euro versions and distribute them freely = get a DVD-A burner!. (You don't hear much about this, but music CD sales are down here in the states, but up in Europe usually for this very reason.)
:bigeyes:

First chipamp

Here are a few pictures of my first (nearly) completed chipamp. It's tested and working, but I haven't totally worked out the power umbilical. These boards I purchased from chipamp.com and it's a dual mono power supply in one chassis and integrated stereo in another. I know my wiring job isn't quite up to snuff yet, but I think my soldering is pretty decent. The umbilical that I'm trying is cat-5 cable, solid core. The jacks are Neutrik panel mount, punch-down type. I'm still not sure if the jacks will be able to handle this much current.

-Michael Woods

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very Sweet!! ...Just curious: Is that teflon coated wiring on the inputs? Any silver wiring? ... :cool:

Also currious: where is the pre-amp board? Integrated w/ amp? ... or just switches to select inputs??

(IMOP: double up on the CAT5 (CAT6? CAT??) power interconnects = improved reliability at the connections, solder points, etc.)

FastEddy said:
Very Sweet!! ...Just curious: Is that teflon coated wiring on the inputs? Any silver wiring? ... :cool:

Also currious: where is the pre-amp board? Integrated w/ amp? ... or just switches to select inputs??

(IMOP: double up on the CAT5 (CAT6? CAT??) power interconnects = improved reliability at the connections, solder points, etc.)

Eddy,

Yep that is all silver wiring that I used. I forget what gauge. The "preamp" is simply an Elma switch and an Alps blue potentiometer.
Thanks for your suggestion on the cat-5 cable. I'll keep that in mind.. though it'd be a PITA to rewire and double-up. Since I'm running 8 separate power rails and grounds, that'd mean I'd have 16 wires to run total and two panel jacks. That's probably not feisable and I'd need to move to something more heavy-duty than cat-5.

-Michael Woods

eboz: If you come up with a specification list of silver or silver clad CAT5/6 wire that works well, please post such. This wire usually comes with Teflon coating as well, but not always. Compared to copper, silver or silver clad Teflon insulated wiring is getting to be almost as cost effective, especially as applies to network cabling ...

:D

mofset amplifier 1000 watt power output
you can add transistors this circuit

Attachments

• 1000w.jpg
    1000w.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,137
lm3875

well i finally finished my 3875. the chassis taking the most time of all. i used panasonic HFQ caps and an alps blue pot. I have to thank Peter Daniel for his services and being way cool about hooking me up with a deal to get the pcb's after my first order went to my old address and was lost.

:D